[ROM] PD Open Platform based UI (functional beta) for PDN (GE / No GE)

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
1277d1286868383-post-your-home-screen-shots-your-rooted-pdnth-screenshot-op-20101012-jpg

Note: White PDN's only. Don't try to flash to Black device.

To install the PD Open Platform that is already rooted and busybox is installed. There are two versions. Both have Aldiko with hack pre-installed, appInstaller pre-installed and Dropbox pre-installed. The other version also has GE (Google Experience) with non-ugly hack pre-installed. The only hitch is that any pre-installed apps have to be installed as system apps because the SD card is not mounted during the flash so I can't update /data/app/ which after reboot is located on the SD card (if one is installed). I like the idea that apps are installed on the SD card to increase available memory so I am assuming people will have one installed.

Major Benefits of PD Open Platform (OP):
1. Navigation buttons in the Notification Bar. Larger than Cruz mod.
2. Three rotation modes: 0, 90 and 270 degrees. Can use in cradle with power plugged in. No force closes on any launcher.
3. In apps that hide the soft buttons, volume up should make it reappear. (In Kindle just touch the top of the screen and navigation buttons will reappear). Pre-hacked Aldiko included in mod so volume keys will not change pages, but will bring up navigation bar instead.
4. Clean install with little overhead. PDN runs faster. GE version will slow it down a bit.

Major Apps verified to work:
(Tested on v. 1 board with non-GE version of OP mod.)

1. Aldiko (built-in with volune key hack).
2. Kindle simply works perfectly.
3. Nook (works after removing or deleting libpdfhost.so, clearing dalvik cache, rebooting, installing Nook and reboot again before running Nook). Hack will be incorporated into future builds.
4. Border's App. I tested on non-GE version with the app supplied with the Cruz Reader. Market app should work also. But the Cruz app is better as you can get free books and buy books within the app. Download here.
5. Dropbox, Estrongs (all apps), apInstaller (preceeding apps built-in), Beautiful Widgets, BootControl (reboots and shutsdown device), and Titanium Backup.
6. Task Manager by Rhythm Software (requested by Mark Adams)
7. Please let us know what else you have tried.

Note 1: If this is the first time you are flashing from another firmware such as stock PDN or Roebeet Cruz you must remove the internal SD card as PD claims. If you have already flashed the Open Platform then you can leave the internal SD card in the device when you flash as the new recovery doesn't care. If you leave the internal SD card in the unit please sure not look at Note 2 (below). The other option is to flash the Open Platform recovery image to your PDN using ADB before you flash the Open Platform for the first time, and then you can leave the internal SD card in the device. Also, a flash is available to replace the recovery image with a compatible one. It flashes Roebeet's Cruz UI baseline, but replaces the recovery image with one that will let you flash Open Platform without removing the SD card. If you don't want to remove the SD card and coming from stock PDN or Roebeet's flash this first and then flash with the Open Platform version of your choice.

Note 2: Before flashing you should make sure both SD cards have no APK files on the root of the card. You can delete them with using ADB or with Android Mate if your device is rooted. Otherwise, remove the card, format it on your computer and put it back in the PDN prior to flashing (ignore PD's instructions about flashing with the card removed). If you leave apk files on the internal SD card they will show as installed when the PDN reboots. If it is an app that does not require an install it will work. If it is an app like that requires an install on the device it won't work until you properly install it again on your device. If this is the first time you are flashing from another firmware look at Note 1 (above).

Version 1.0.0: OP rooted, busybox, Aldiko (vol keys disabled), appInstaller and Dropbox. This version retains full sleep mode (I think - let me know if I am wrong).
Download Open Platform basic (no GE) rooted with busybox.
MD5 Checksum: 3f6fa60ec3030ea1306b212d4251a464

Version 2.0.0: OP rooted as above with GE (non-ugly) installed. Sleep mode assumed busted as other GE builds on the PDN.
Download Open Platform GE rooted with busybox.
MD5 Checksum: 2ef47ffde067c4929f0c8fcae2072071

Recovery Flash: This is for people who want to flash the Open Platform (original or mods) but don't want to remove their internal SD card first. I would suggest making sure the internal SD card is empty before flashing as it will only be used by the Open Platform to store apk files of installed applications. This update zip file will only flash your recovery image to the Open Platform one so that you can flash the Open Platform without removing your internal SD card. Since it is only flashing the recovery image this update will only take a few seconds before your PDN reboots.
Download Open Platform Recovery Image Flash Update
MD5 Checksum: 2c750f63bc8ed526826e57e3aa6d1a43

Caveat: I have flashed successfully to my own White PDN (v. 1). I make no warranties as to the usability of this build. You flash at your own risk as always and I am not responsible if you brick or damage your device in any way.

ALDIKO NOTICE: Insert your external SD card with your Aldiko library BEFORE you run Aldiko for the first time to load your existing library. If you don't do this Aldiko won't load your existing library.

Only tested them on a v. 1 PDN, but I am pretty confident it will work on v. 2 as well since it is based on OP with very little changes and OP works on v. 2 boards.

I can make further changes but it is best to keep it minimal and people can install what they want. Keep in mind apps cannot be pre-installed that are not system apps so that limits what we should pre-install on the device.

After flashing and testing and making sure the Market and Gmail work properly I reflashed my PDN to the non-GE version. GE breaks full sleep and also seems to slow down the PDN quite a bit. If you have all the apk's of apps you like on your external SD card, just use the pre-installed appInstaller program to reinstall them.

Proposed Changes for future releases:

1. Upgrade spareparts.apk. The one PD included is an older version missing many functions.

2. Remove all estrongs pre-installed apps. They are older versions and it might be better to install them as user apps rather than as system apps as PD did. I can also just replace the older versions with the newest versions in the build. People can install newer version or install the task manager and file manager of their own choosing; such as Astro, Advanced Task Killer, etc. Let me know which way you think is better.

3. Build hack to make Nook work in the build by deleting libpdfhost.so. I think only PDN native apps need this and since they are not included and don't work on Open Platform this lib is not needed. Nook installs its own but if there is an existing one in system/lib that one takes precedence over the Nook installed one and won't run. With this hack you can install Nook and reboot PDN before running Nook. After reboot Nook will work properly. I think with my method of upgrade I can pre-install a working Nook also; but installing yourself as a user app, rather than pre-installed system app, may be better for installing future updates of the app. Let me know which way is preferable to you.

Last edited:

Stacey

Nov 4, 2010
Will this work with the newer black PDN versions? I just got it and REALLY want to make these changes as out of the box its not what I want! I really just want to add the Kindle to it. Any suggestions?

timh0722

Nov 10, 2010
Hi, I loaded this ROM and its great. I was wondering when someone would take the Open OS and add Market to it. Its the best combination for using the PDN as a Droid tablet. I have searched around and between Market and whats been made available on the various droid boards, I have a great mix of software tools now. It has both Kindle and BN Nook installed as well as K9 email, Dolphin browser. Its definitely something I can take now on short trips and leave the laptop home... Before I found this ROM, I was considering selling the PDN and upgrading to a IPAD but not now. Withe IPADS running 500+ and this has cost me probably no more then 200 with software which makes it a steal. The IPAD does have a better selection of software and the screen is better but this is a great compromise. I needed something that I could use without having to drag a laptop around with.

Joe Mawma

Dec 19, 2010
I guess I'm just noob but you make it sound so easy. I got everything to work but the dang Nook software. It looks like this may be a Mac thing (yes pity me). Is there anyway you could find it in you all knowing heart to explain the process of removing the libpdfhost.so file. Is this a file from Nook or a file from within the Android 2.o software? I know Apples going to make this a pain in the ass but what did you use to find that file. Winzip? ABD? I don't want to go back to the other weaker hacks or worse yet the original OS but I do have a bunch of barnes and nobel books that I bought and would love to read on this thing. Please help me

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Slide-Load Market is available for OS 2.1 and OS 2.2. Can't be used PanDigital OS 2.0, that the issue. The only way to get around that would be getting your hands on the OEM or use the OP version. I guess the OA has abandon the project he was working on. But you guys know you can use AndroidPit, C-Market and SlideMe4 you can't use AppLIB2 on this hybrid tablet because of the OS it uses. I recommend AndroidPit. Would be nice if you could use AppLib2. There is GetJar also. If you go down into the Gome Forum you will find the Power tools collection that should give some stuff to add for now. If you use google and type: tipstir power 145 and yes that's 145 of them.

termn8er

Jan 5, 2011
Hi all. I just picked up a PDN white on sale and trying to determine the best way to proceed. I did the V3 mod with mixed success. Market worked once and has not worked since. So I am considering the mod here.

Once question, can you get back to the original rom if this doesn't work out?

This appears pretty straight forward hack, but want to know if there is a way back if all doesn't work out.

Thanks!

tophigh

Jan 7, 2011
Hey I want to get the nook on and I have the v1 but I can't find the files you said to delete can you help? Also is there a way I can get onto the android market

pcbutts1

Jan 7, 2011
where did you find v3?

Hi all. I just picked up a PDN white on sale and trying to determine the best way to proceed. I did the V3 mod with mixed success. Market worked once and has not worked since. So I am considering the mod here.

Once question, can you get back to the original rom if this doesn't work out?

This appears pretty straight forward hack, but want to know if there is a way back if all doesn't work out.

Thanks!