Root Methods for Dell Venue 8?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi, Just ordered this tablet and thought I would ask about rooting this tablet, According to the ebay's ad "Dell Venue 8 16GB Wi-Fi 8in Black (Latest Model) 3830 * New In Box" this tablet is the latest model 3830, I have never used this tablet so know nothing about it, I am sure these Dell tablets has been rooted many times. Looks like the tablet can be upgrade to 4.3 and or 4.4.

Any input on this tablet is welcome, mainly looking for rooting info, I don't have the tablet yet, just bought the tablet from ebay, So won't have tablet til next week.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This is still the only root method available, works well though.
The weird thing about the tablet I bought, was it came with 4.3 and 32GB instead of the advertised 4.2 16GB, tablet was brand new in the box, I registered it at dell's website, the tablet is covered by two year dell warranty.
Great tablet, I just don't know why the tablet was sold so reasonable, I am glad I got it, my a2109 had to die before I could get the money to buy it, lol.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Strangely enough, I can't seem to kill my Streak, not that I would want to. Two weeks ago the WiFi suddenly up and quit in the middle of an app update. It wouldn't find any networks and wouldn't stay on. Not even a factory reset would fix it. Only restoring to stock and actually going through the rooting process appeared to fix the problem.

Starting on Tuesday of the first week, I started being able to use the WiFi again, but it would only work for about a half hour before quitting. This continued until Friday of that first week, when it suddenly started functioning correctly and consistently.

About the only thing I can think of is that restoring the unit to stock (which restores the baseband in the Streak) reset the WiFi so it functioned properly once more. Needless to say, that was the wake up call. Can't put off updating devices much longer, so I'm looking into getting a Galaxy S4 off Swappa.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
S4 is really nice, good choice and good luck, ummmm my grandson can ummm fix (break) your streak permanently, lol he works cheap and seems to enjoy his work, lol.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
S4 is really nice, good choice and good luck, ummmm my grandson can ummm fix (break) your streak permanently, lol he works cheap and seems to enjoy his work, lol.
btw, my a2109 will not die. my eyes are gone, b8t the tablet lives d;^) bought it used and its alive, alive. bet icould get more now then when ibought it.

hmm, how much isthat dell venue 8 ?

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@tpaine $149 on Dell right now, which includes a 16GB MicroSD card, according to their information. Their "market price" is $199, but I've never seen the thing sold at that price.

@vampirefo. I've dropped the Streak enough times. The Otterbox it's in has saved it every time. The only signs of wear and tear are on the battery door and the plastic latch on the rear case. In the case of the former, the paint has chipped off the edge of the door. I had to jury rig a new latch out of small pieces of a gift card and some superglue to keep the battery door from popping off in use.

cal67

Aug 4, 2011
I rooted my Dell Venue 7 using Kingo Android Root. First 3 attempts didn't do anything but the 4th was the charm.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I rooted my Dell Venue 7 using Kingo Android Root. First 3 attempts didn't do anything but the 4th was the charm.
That's good glad your got yours rooted, the method I posted uses CWM recovery to root also can back up and restore OS, and Data, as well as install zips, and roms.