Rooting a Haipad M701-R?

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
UPDATE: The commands below worked to root this tablet with stock firmware.

I've never rooted an Android device before. Scared I might brick it.

I have copies of "su" and "Superuser.apk" apps. I have Android SDK with adb installed and know how to connect to the device and issue shell commands via the terminal (I'm familiar with both Linux and using the terminal on Mac). The instructions I have are for the M701 and specifically mention the "9-30 firmware update" (but this is the M701-R and I haven't applied the update because I'm not certain it also covers my device). Here are the commands I have:

Code:
./adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
./adb push su /system/bin/
./adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
./adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
./adb shell reboot

(note: the "./" leader is because I'd be doing this from a Mac)

Since it's just changing permissions to allow root access is that likely to brick the tablet? I can't really see how it would, especially since I'm NOT changing the firmware, just file permissions. But having never done this before I thought I'd better ask.

Last edited:

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
<ignore>
Ok, there's a post over at SlateDroid that says the M-701 and M701-R use the same firmware, and essentially the "9-30" update (file name is "2010.09.29PM20 : 15.rar" available via a link from the Hiapad website) is really for the M701-R in that it includes drivers for the remote control, with the only disadvantage of installing it on the M701 is (of course) you don't get remote control capability.

I'm still not quite feeling brave enough to root it, or even update the firmware right now (even though I did it on an Augen Gentouch78 without any problems). I kind of need this tablet working for a school project, so I probably won't do anything drastic until the semester is over. Of course if someone else wants to take the leap to updating the firmware/rooting and report back how it went that'd be great!

</ignore>

Last edited:

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
After finding posts on various Android forums claiming the "9-30 firmware" release was either for both the M701 and M701-R, or just one or the other, I decided to contact Haipad directly and ask them. Here's the official word from Mr. Xiong:

The 9.30 firmware is M701 firmware,no M701-R.
If the M701-R 9.30 firmware update, can not use remote control.
Web 2.2 firmware that is not our company's official version, just a test version.
You can try, but also a very good experience

So there you have it. Apply the 9-30 firmware to the M701-R and you will lose the remote control capability, but there is apparently an unofficial "Froyo" test firmware.

Personally, since my tablet is running fine, I think I'll wait for an official update.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Ok, finally went ahead and did it.

I can confirm that the adb commands in my op work on the Haipad M701-R with the factory (#121) firmware. I did it from my Mac, but it should also work from Windows if you omit the "./" leader on the commands. The commands also assume that you have copies of "su" and "Superuser.apk" to push (get them if you don't) and that they are at the root level of your desktop system drive. Obviously if you put them somewhere else you'll need to add the full path to them.

:D Yep, I've got root! Yay! :D

toyen

Nov 6, 2010
Ok, finally went ahead and did it.

I can confirm that the adb commands in my op work on the Haipad M701-R with the factory (#121) firmware. I did it from my Mac, but it should also work from Windows if you omit the "./" leader on the commands. The commands also assume that you have copies of "su" and "Superuser.apk" to push (get them if you don't) and that they are at the root level of your desktop system drive. Obviously if you put them somewhere else you'll need to add the full path to them.

:D Yep, I've got root! Yay! :D

hi,OffWorld

you can root M701-R in factory firmware ( #121 MID 1.1 )?

how to root it , i root it by use command

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
adb push su /system/bin/
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
adb shell reboot

when i type

it said "device offline"

i can't copy su file into my device but can install superuser.apk

how to ?

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
hi,OffWorld
you can root M701-R in factory firmware ( #121 MID 1.1 )?
how to root it , i root it by use command
when i type
it said "device offline"
i can't copy su file into my device but can install superuser.apk
how to ?

Yes, I rooted the factory firmware, #121 MID 1.1.

The "device offline" has been a problem for others. First I'll say that I run into zero issues connecting my tablet to a Mac, it just works. Windows Vista and Windows 7 64-bit are problems when it comes to connecting Android tablets - in some cases it just won't work. 32-bit Windows XP is more reliable, never had any issues connecting to my old laptop running XP. So my first advice would be to use XP or Mac for this stuff, it will save you trouble.

Other things that can cause the "device offline" error are:
1. You mounted the tablet as a USB mass storage device. When you're using adb remember NOT to mount the device to your desktop computer as a drive!
2. Try to plug into a USB port on the BACK of your computer. Sometimes connecting to ports on the front doesn't work because it treats those as a hub. Which lead me to. . .
3. Don't connect through a USB hub
4. Use the OTG cable that came with the tablet. Some Android devices don't connect to adb properly with any cable other than the one that came with them (crazy, but there's a whole thread about that over at xda-developers).

Hope that helps get you rooted.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The adb driver is different on windows. You would have to change the ID in the inf file, if I recall correctly.

Go to device manager, locate unknown device and jot down the hardware device id. Then you need to modify the Android adb USB inf file to match

finish

Dec 6, 2010
Just want to know if rooting is the same as the M701-R or possible on the Haipad M1001 which is running:

Build MID 1.1
Firmware 2.1-update1
kernal version 2.6.29 root@localhost#143

Has anybody got one of these tablets?

I'm one of the first 10 in NZ to have one.

crossleymarko

Nov 10, 2010
can someone please help with rooting and up dateing... ie do i have to be in safe mode should internal be mounted or unmounted... i havnt found i tutorial that is detailed... ive tried root_701 and have had no joy... also sdk dosnt recognise device.. i would like to update rom to get market working.. i have posted on a few forums now....about market...

crossleymarko

Nov 10, 2010
ok here goes.... after question after question.... no one helps.. no real tuts just guess work i think.. i have been flashing games consoles for a good few years now.. (easy) 10yrs proper tuts.... but all i can say is rooting and updating a m701 is crap.. well finding info on it...
any way all those who cant recognise ther apad via sdk/adb.... you need the Motorola drivers... not one tutorial has said this ... this its taken me weeks to find this out.. please do a sticky mods.....

please please.

also a sticky on update rom

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
ok here goes.... after question after question.... no one helps.. no real tuts just guess work i think.. i have been flashing games consoles for a good few years now.. (easy) 10yrs proper tuts.... but all i can say is rooting and updating a m701 is crap.. well finding info on it...
any way all those who cant recognise ther apad via sdk/adb.... you need the Motorola drivers... not one tutorial has said this ... this its taken me weeks to find this out.. please do a sticky mods.....

please please.

also a sticky on update rom

I just used z4root and it worked like a charm

Sent from my incredible using Android Tablet Forum

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
ok well what rom do you think is the latest? maybe i can help you get it, because now that your rooted i would recommend installing clockwork recovery that makes everything so much easier