Rooting after 3.2 OTA upgrade?

ellandry

Sep 26, 2011
So if I read correctly I have to downgrade to 3.01 in order to install a custom rooted 3.2 rom? Anyone have a link or suggestion for the most user friendly method for doing this for a new user?

tumpy

Dec 15, 2010
this is the method i use when i did mine..
METHOD 2 - thanks GamezR2EZ
This is even easier because it does not need your UID. It is just flashing as a normal update but actually it is an older HC version that is rootable by Iconiaroot.

1. Download this package
2. Extract the update.zip from it and place it on your external SD card.
3. Turn off your tab and then turn it back on while holding Volume Down key. This will automatically flash the update.zip from your SD card.
4. After flashing is finished you'll have unstable Honeycomb 3.0.1 - gives errors and crashes but you only need it to root and install CWM. If it fails to boot try to hard reset your device *.
5. Install Iconiaroot 1.3, root your beast and then install CWM from thor's site (there you can find the latest version) or use Acer Recovery Installerfrom the Market, or look at the original thread here
6. Boot into CWM and flash whatever ROM you like!

this is the Rom i am using..Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I wouldn't bother. Icebike agrees. but if you need because you want ad-hoc tether - yeah go ahead.

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
I wouldn't bother. Icebike agrees. but if you need because you want ad-hoc tether - yeah go ahead.

There are A LOT of reasons to bother The top two on my list are ability to run SMB filesharing and the ability to run utilities like an on screen power off button.

<rant>

On phones I understand why they might not want you to have root but on tablets it is just manufacturers being control freaks. If I buy a piece of hardware I should have COMPLETE control of it, not just want the manufacturer wants me to have. Once I pay for it, it is no longer theirs but MINE! At the very least there should be a setting, like "Install Outside Apps", that you can check to allow yourself root. They can pop up a disclaimer warning you that you are responsible for your actions, but I WANT ROOT!

</rant>

Cen5

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
There are A LOT of reasons to bother The top two on my list are ability to run SMB filesharing and the ability to run utilities like an on screen power off button.

<rant>

On phones I understand why they might not want you to have root but on tablets it is just manufacturers being control freaks. If I buy a piece of hardware I should have COMPLETE control of it, not just want the manufacturer wants me to have. Once I pay for it, it is no longer theirs but MINE! At the very least there should be a setting, like "Install Outside Apps", that you can check to allow yourself root. They can pop up a disclaimer warning you that you are responsible for your actions, but I WANT ROOT!

</rant>

Cen5
SMB - no problem. Screen power off - I suppose thats one reason but a bit of overkill. I can see this option when using a Tower/desktop but where screen and power button are about 5mm apart I see the reason as pointless. This is only my opinion and you are free to have yours.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
There are A LOT of reasons to bother The top two on my list are ability to run SMB filesharing and the ability to run utilities like an on screen power off button.<br>
<br>
&lt;rant&gt;<br>
<br>
On phones I understand why they might not want you to have root but on tablets it is just manufacturers being control freaks. If I buy a piece of hardware I should have COMPLETE control of it, not just want the manufacturer wants me to have. Once I pay for it, it is no longer theirs but MINE! At the very least there should be a setting, like "Install Outside Apps", that you can check to allow yourself root. They can pop up a disclaimer warning you that you are responsible for your actions, but I WANT ROOT!<br>
<br>
&lt;/rant&gt;<br>
<br>
Cen5
First let me say that I find problems in your logic. Why should it be okay for phones that the manufacturers have control but be okay to root the tablet. Second, I am a CONTROL FREAK and I like to be in control. I take issue with your implication that anyone out there who does not root their tablet is not taking ownership of their tablet. That is an insult. Yes "your precious" it is all yours to do with want you want - even to a point of stuffing/bricking your tablet. This is fine by me too. However I counsel you to be cautious with that advice because others not as proffiient as yourself may attempt this and end up in failure. which you will have tp wear.

I have the control without having to root the A500 - let the manufacturers think what they want. Just like you I can do with this tablet as I please.I'VE PAID FOR IT IN FACT I PAID FOR 3.

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
SMB - no problem. Screen power off - I suppose thats one reason but a bit of overkill. I can see this option when using a Tower/desktop but where screen and power button are about 5mm apart I see the reason as pointless. This is only my opinion and you are free to have yours.

The point of using a widget to power off is not about the difficulty pressing the button, but repeatedly pressing a mechanical button to lock the screen or power off eventually wears out the button. Tapping an on onscreen widget saves wear and tear on the device.

First let me say that I find problems in your logic. Why should it be okay for phones that the manufacturers have control but be okay to root the tablet.

A phone is a device that is subsidized by the cellular company and its primary purpose is to be used as a cell phone. They do not want you to be able to dork with the cellular settings and risk nefarious use or you bricking your phone. If you outright purchased your phone with no subsidies from the cellular company that would be a different story, but even then if you are using it on their cell network they may have issues with you being able to make changes that effect how it interacts with their network. Different story than a wifi tablet.

Second, I am a CONTROL FREAK and I like to be in control. I take issue with your implication that anyone out there who does not root their tablet is not taking ownership of their tablet. That is an insult. Yes "your precious" it is all yours to do with want you want - even to a point of stuffing/bricking your tablet. This is fine by me too. However I counsel you to be cautious with that advice because others not as proffiient as yourself may attempt this and end up in failure. which you will have tp wear.

I have the control without having to root the A500 - let the manufacturers think what they want. Just like you I can do with this tablet as I please.I'VE PAID FOR IT IN FACT I PAID FOR 3.

First, grow a thicker skin and do not be so easily insulted!

I did not say or even imply "that anyone out there who does not root their tablet is not taking ownership of their tablet." I simply stated that there were valid reasons to want root and gave a couple of my reasons. Then I went on to rant that it should not be for the manufacturer whether or not you have root. It should be a toggle in "settings" similar to "install 3rd party software" that should trigger a pop up warning alerting the user to the dangers of ROOT. If a user ignores the warning and bricks his tablet that is his own fault. I did not advise anyone to root their tablet but there are reasons to do so. Another good one is to be able to make restorable backups. You cannot do this with out root.

Also, I did not advise anyone to root their tablet. I merely stated there were reasons to want root and went on to say that manufacturers should not deny it to the owner of the device.

Sheesh!

Cen5

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Point Ceded. But still when I buy a phone, whether on the a plan or just a phone, I own that phone regardless of the manufacturer or the service providor intensions. I can still do as I want - and brick the phone if I want. The manufacturers and service providers of phones are there simply to perform a function - a service to their customers. If they fail to do so customers will goe elsewhere.

As for A500 and other tablets, you'll be surprised what you can do without having to root it. The right tools and a little bit of wisdom qnd knowledge can give you access to things you know you had. All it takes is time. And brother let me say we are doom to sin and failure, because we are men. You know what I mean.