ROOTING / MODS / TWEAKING your Sylvania Tablet

May 22, 2011
Update - Changed browser type -- still no flash. Adobe tries to send me to Market which re-directs to the crappy installed app instead of Android Market. Of course, I cannot get it from my phone's account and download it because the phone which I have here is 2.1 -- which doesn't yet support Flash. This, with the rooting issue discussed in my first post, is turning out to be a nightmare where my phone was easy once I rooted it.

May 22, 2011
On my way home, give me a few and if you still are having issues ill see if I can help you out. :)
Thanks. I cannot believe that rooting and customizing this darn thing is such a hassle. I'm the Administrator on web servers running CENTOS 5.6 virtuozzo, have worked with Red Hat, etc. and to be having trouble with a budget tablet is....very, very frustrating. Sorry to ramble... I will certainly appreciate any help you can give. I hope to have this thing solved sometime tonight so I can actually use the tablet in a practical way for work.

May 22, 2011
The Model number and Android version are hard coded in the Settings application, that's the reason for the inquiry to the Hardware ID "hwver". Was your 11.2.1.8 device 2.2 when you purchased or did you manually update to 2.2? Asking since there are three different updates for 11.2.1.8 on 2.2 all of which seem to have issues but the 11.2.1.8.2.2.ius seems to be the most recent.
Yes, we all agree that this device is a challenge but as someone noted if had wanted to avoid the frustration and subsequent success in resolving the issues we would have spent the extra $$$ for another device.

The other thing to check with Parse error is the permissions on the /cache folder where the application is downloaded prior to installing and then on the /sdcard which is required to install applications. The permissions issue is again attributable to the poor updates and the microSD has been a issue for quite a few. Some cards work, others seem to work but can't be written to therefore, cause issues. Check to see if you can side load applications using "My Device" instead of OI Filemanger that most have just deleted and replaced with RootExplorer. RootExplorer is the first application I side load every time I have to reload the device which is often with the device. Get used to it having to wipe and reload this tablet.

It did come with 2.2. I did not have to manually load it. I will recheck permissions on the card. I think they were correct when I checked them on the computer.

Astro File Manager and Root Explorer are two of my favorite applications. Titanium Backup Pro being a third.

I've had to wipe and reload the tablet two or three times already. I guess from what I've read that's pretty common.

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
It did come with 2.2. I did not have to manually load it. I

OK, great - DO NOT manually update since we don't yet know if the update file is any newer or if it includes any fixes to what is being shipped on the devices now.

Can you side load using "My Device" application? Can you try another microSD card? Using the "Camera" (screen shot) application on the tool bar my device says it's saving a picture to sdcard but nothing gets written when I use a no name brand 2 GB card however, using a 16GB no name sdcard the .jpg image is created. Thus, in your situation if you are trying to save a document to sdcard that causes an error the sdcard is suspect.

As it relates to Flash, the response provided from Digital Gadgets Customer Service is there are still challenges in their programming and an update is expected. We have been impatient and have attempted to identify an update. Other infoTM devices are having the same issue as all of the updates are coming from the chip manufacturer.

Last edited:
May 22, 2011
Thanks Cfrokit. I tested the card's ability to save in another device, both PC and in my Android phone using the same application. Worked fine. The problem was not saving the file. Even the tablet did that well. The problem was attaching the file using the installed OI file manager which crashes each time. The 8Gig Sandisc is working fine. It appears to be another one of their bugs. I was able to sideload Astro file manager, Titanium Backup and Titanium Backup Pro and z4 root. While all installed, neither z4root nor Titanium Backup (including paid key) will work. I do not have an option for USB Debugging since Digital Gadgets or their Chinese developer has apparently disabled the "development" tab -- while leaving useless applications like dialer installed and taking memory/space.

MuffinTopped

Aug 18, 2011
I used Gingerbreak, without any issues.

I fixed my parsing files error by deleting my dalvik-cache (data/dalvik-cache) and then rebooting. The problem ceased immediately after a fresh boot.

lohtse

Mar 9, 2011
Here's a few tips/mods from me...

Download and install usb debug from market to enable "usb debug and mock locations"

Second one is once rooted you can change the boot animation by searching for the one you want online(should be a zipped file and called bootanimation) copy to sdcard then use root explorer to move the zip file to the system/media folder of you device and hey presto on next boot a nice custom boot..... I use the stargate, Stargate lol....

Final tip is install button saviour(theres paid and lite version on market) this will place a small short cut arrow on the side of your screen(IN EVER APP) giving you a menu button , back button and off button...Thus saving your hardware buttons and giving you an off button that puts your tablet into stand by instantly instead of messing with hardware one..

Last edited:

Dartman

Jul 31, 2011
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned but my Kaspersky goes nuts about the download and blocks it saying there's some kind of Lynix root exploit or something. I have downloaded it before without issues so I think it's a false positive because of what it's designed to do. PC seems fine and all Kaspersky does is block or delete whatever it doesn't like. I finally disabled it to get a fresh working copy and it did root my tablet this time and hasn't seemed to do anything to the PC here, but a heads up just in case and maybe somebody knows why it gets a hit.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I rooted my tablet now how do I get android market place

Welcome to the forum!

Refer to this post for details. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/26138-android-market-question.html.

Many others posts/threads with similar questions can be found using the "Search Forum" feature located in the upper right tool bar.

Email explaining why Android Market doesn’t work: on the Flytouch (another infoTMIC tablet).

android Market Supported Deviceshttp://www.slatedroid.com/topic/18747-looking-for-firmware/page__view__findpost__p__195846

Last edited: