ROOTING / MODS / TWEAKING your Sylvania Tablet

DigitalPunk

May 8, 2011
St0ne,

The apk that runs My Pad is Helenbrowser.apk in system/app
What I did was replaced the apk from DG2.20(537kb) with the apk from DG2.01(600kb) now it is My Device with the FTP tab available again and all works great

Also does anyone know where the graphics for the screenshot button are? That is pointless to me, I have removed the screenshot.apk and now I want to remove the graphic to give me more room on top task bar. Thanks all

Last edited:

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
............does anyone know where the graphics for the screenshot button are? That is pointless to me, I have removed the screenshot.apk and now I want to remove the graphic to give me more room on top task bar. Thanks all
Same issue here, the top task bar is very crowded in Portrait mode. I changed the time to 24hr format so AM/PM is not displayed, but I still only get about 1/2 of the <== Button. It would be nice if there was some way to modify the top task bar?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
It would be nice if there was some way to modify the top task bar?

If you zoom this image, you can see that in whatever version of firmware on this infoTM device they have replaced the camera icon with "Prt Sc" so it is possible to modify.

$prtsc.JPG

Does anyone have the 3D animation depicted in the image after upgrading? I recall having this briefly when the device was new last Dec but haven't seen the ability to rotate the screen in 3D mode in a while.

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
Yeah that's funny about the Camera button.... it's' not a camera at all.. but it makes the camera noise ..lol... Calling it "Print Screen" is more accurate. Did they want to make you think it might be a camera?

Were did you get that picture, notice the extra hardware button on the right side panel.

Yes the 3D doesn't work with 2.2, it worked with 2.1, but I didn't find it very useful.

Jv90

Apr 23, 2011
I have that problem too, the back button shows at half on mine in portrait mode, also when you guys removed the phone apk and telephony provider apk if you have skype installed it wont work; if you attempt to sync your calendar the one that comes with the os with gsync, you'll receive an error and a message would appear telling that the calendar has some trouble.

What about services? Which services are the correct ones to stop them?

For example: if you install google maps, a new service is running in the background "google messaging service" appears

If you install skype, a new service appears "skype service controller"

If you stop them you got a faster tablet as well

Does anyone has this wifi prob that sometimes it turn and off, and you cantconnect again doing a wifi scan even if you are close to the router, so you have to reebot the tablet,any hint on this?

Sent from my p7901a using Android Tablet Forum App

May 22, 2011
For those of you struggling to root or modify your tablet, I am creating a thread to help you.

I have attached two links to apps that work with the Sylvania tablets, to help you get started with your tweaking experience.

First:
Download -> UniversalAndroot-1.6.2.apk
This is pretty self-explanitory. Install -> Click "Root" -> Reboot revice when done

Second:
root explorer
This is pretty self-explanitory

Now you are set up to remove any unnecessary applications from your device.

- Open Root Explorer
- Navigate to: system -> app
- This is where you will find apps that can be removed to help speed up your device.
(I have copied the .apk files to my SD card that I decided to remove)
(Once copied to the SD card, navigate to system -> app folder, long-click on the .apk files you have decided to delete, and click delete)

- Remember to reboot your device
(I did have a hanging device when deleting the phone.apk file. Try restarting with the reset button on the back of the device

I had removed Phone and Telephony .apk files.
In result, my device is responding much better.

These steps have been performed on my SYNET7LP (Android 2.2)

Please feel free to add tweaks to this thread. I am no professional, feel free to correct me if I am wrong with any of these steps.

I'm glad you've had to luck with this. I got mine on Friday and I've basically been trying to deal with this darn thing all weekend -- hyper focused. If I can get it to work and customize it, it will be ok for what I need and can afford. Now it's a nightmare! The installed OI file manager crashes every time I try to send an attachment from my SD Card such as a document from my registered full version of
Documents to Go, flash though installed by DigitalGadets or its Chinese supplier (mentioned in another thread or site) does not work with installed web browser, etc., etc. and I really need to install some files that I've backed up using a TITANIUM BACKUP PRO from my ROOTED Android phone.

I tried to install Universal Anroot as it is on my SD card and also downloaded from an email I sent myself: both times got this message:
"Parse error. There is a problem parsing the package", and, of course, I can go no further. Can someone please help?

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
Ok. you gotta give us some info as to what you have there. HWVR and model would be a start.
What ver of android are you running? Kernel? we can go from there.

May 22, 2011
Of course you need that information and I knew that. <lol> It's been a long several days. Its Model #SYNET7LP, Android version DG2.20, Kernel Version 2.6.32.9

Dealing Android phone, rooting and customizing it was a breeze. This tablet is a pain so far, but I'm glad you all might be able to help. Nice site, b.t.w. I've been reading it a great deal since buying this tablet as an impulse. I'm physically disabled, though, so this will be a great help if I can get it to do what I need it to do.

Xi2wiked

Apr 28, 2011
Of course you need that information and I knew that. <lol> It's been a long several days. Its Model #SYNET7LP, Android version DG2.20, Kernel Version 2.6.32.9

Dealing Android phone, rooting and customizing it was a breeze. This tablet is a pain so far, but I'm glad you all might be able to help. Nice site, b.t.w. I've been reading it a great deal since buying this tablet as an impulse. I'm physically disabled, though, so this will be a great help if I can get it to do what I need it to do.
under settings click system about phone, there it will say your hwvr it will be one of 3 numbers. An 11.2.1.8
, 11.2.1.6, or an 11.2.1.5 that's what's needed.

Xi2wiked

Apr 28, 2011
Btw, the parsing error usually refers to a bad download, or a file not designed to be installed on that device.

May 22, 2011
It's the 11.2.1.8. I was sure I posted that. Feeling foolish considering I work with traditional computer programming and this tablet is giving me fits I didn't expect, especially when others with apparently the same model and version aren't having the same issues.

May 22, 2011
Btw, the parsing error usually refers to a bad download, or a file not designed to be installed on that device.
Yes, of course, but if I cannot get past that when trying to install the rooting software or other software that supposedly works on Android 2.2, it gets exceeding frustrating as you all know from comments here by others (in other threads) and on other boards. I've been able to install Lockout Security from their installed alternative market and my Documents To Go Registered version, so far, from the programmer's site but much of what I actually want and need to use (which works with Android 2.2 on the phones) is backed up from my rooted phone by Titanium Backup Pro, which I cannot even install from a file it created to do an install of itself on another device (like the tablet),

Something strange about their installed browser (which does not provide information about what version, etc.) as it does on regular droid phones, when I went to a flash-enabled site, it said that I did not have the flash player installed even though Flash 10.1 is in the "pre-installed" applications list and when I went to Macromedia's site, it identified the tablet as an ipad and gave me notices about Apple's restrictions preventing the device from working on my fine.

Xi2wiked

Apr 28, 2011
In the browsers URL bar type about:debug then hit enter. Then push menu, and go to settings. If you scroll all the way to the bottom you will find that by default the browsers user agent has been set to ipad....

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Its Model #SYNET7LP, Android version DG2.20, Kernel Version 2.6.32.9
The Model number and Android version are hard coded in the Settings application, that's the reason for the inquiry to the Hardware ID "hwver". Was your 11.2.1.8 device 2.2 when you purchased or did you manually update to 2.2? Asking since there are three different updates for 11.2.1.8 on 2.2 all of which seem to have issues but the 11.2.1.8.2.2.ius seems to be the most recent.
Yes, we all agree that this device is a challenge but as someone noted if had wanted to avoid the frustration and subsequent success in resolving the issues we would have spent the extra $$$ for another device.

"Parse error. There is a problem parsing the package", and, of course, I can go no further. Can someone please help?
The other thing to check with Parse error is the permissions on the /cache folder where the application is downloaded prior to installing and then on the /sdcard which is required to install applications. The permissions issue is again attributable to the poor updates and the microSD has been a issue for quite a few. Some cards work, others seem to work but can't be written to therefore, cause issues. Check to see if you can side load applications using "My Device" instead of OI Filemanger that most have just deleted and replaced with RootExplorer. RootExplorer is the first application I side load every time I have to reload the device which is often with the device. Get used to it having to wipe and reload this tablet.

May 22, 2011
In the browsers URL bar type about:debug then hit enter. Then push menu, and go to settings. If you scroll all the way to the bottom you will find that by default the browsers user agent has been set to ipad....
That's what I would do on Windows Firefox and sure enough it worked here. Thanks. Honestly didn't think of that because I've been so worried about getting the thing rooted to make some changes that I need and to add some custom things for my disability.