[Rumor] Google & Asus Set to Debut 7-inch $200 Nexus Tablet at Google I/O

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
gsmarena_nexus_tablet-mockup-pic.jpg

Above is a mockup pic of an imagined Nexus Tablet, found at GSMArena.​

While this is mostly a restatement of previous rumors on this exact same subject, a few more details have leaked out so it was worth sharing. However, these details do come from DigiTimes, which can sometimes be questionable at best, which is why we labeled this one as a rumor. Basically they are reconfirming what we have heard previously that the Nexus 7 Tablet from Asus will be unveiled at Google I/O next week. They also share/reconfirm the following about the tablet (bold is somewhat new):
  • 7-inches
  • WiFi-only connection
  • Only have a front-facing camera to cut costs
  • Budget-friendly price of only $199
  • Coming with Google’s Chrome Browser
  • Along with Asus, Quanta Computer will be playing some part in the manufacture of the device
Here's a quote with a recap of details,

The 7-inch Nexus tablet PC already started shipping in June and is estimated to be available in the retail channel in July with the device's total shipments expected to reach at least three million units in the second half of the year.

With Google expected to unveil the details of the devices at Google I/O, Asustek Chairman Jonney Shih will also attend the conference to jointly announce the tablet PC with Google.

Due to its low price, the 7-inch Nexus tablet PC only supports a Wi-Fi connection and does not feature a back-side webcam, but will equip with a front-side webcam for video conference.

The device will also be preloaded with Google's Chrome browser, with compatibility issues having been resolved to allow smoother operation for some software applications.

As for Asustek, the company also plans to release its own 7-inch tablet PC with price at only US$159-179 in August.

As a sidebar: It's interesting how Microsoft timed their new Windows Tablet (The Surface) press event to happen the week before Google's I/O Conference. It appears they were trying to steal some of Android's thunder. Regardless, it will be really exciting to see what new juicy tablet Google has cooked up for us, and we only have to wait until next week!

Now, this is a tablet to really get enthused about! Nexus Tablet Forum.

Source: NexusTablets.net via DigiTimes

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
I may replace my TouchPad with this. I just find the TouchPad bulky and heavy so I am less incline to carry it around. 7" screen is small but I think the mobility will be better. Can't wait to get my hands on it and decide if it will replace my TouchPad.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
This will be a compromise device, obviously, to hit a price point that really could make it a Kindle fire killer. Because of some of the features necessarily left out it is probably not going to be on my list of possible purchases, but if all this turns out to be true they should sell millions of them. I think some sort of service like Amazon Prime may be necessary as well.
I do think its unfortunate we may never see the Asus memo, I loved the idea of a digitizer layer on a powerful 7" device. Still, this tablet, along with the Kindle Fire, and the higher end Android devices either now available our coming soon should cement Android as a real competitor to the iPad and more than anything I love choice.

phudson126

Jun 20, 2012
A perfect one for budget customers. The tablet may not have a dedicated rear camera to show what is right in front of you but the front camera does the job of video calling. The tablet is in no-way an iPad 3 challenger but a decent and more affordable one. A perfect one for budget customers. The tablet may not have a dedicated rear camera to show what is right in front of you but the front camera does the job of video calling. The tablet is in no-way an iPad 3 challenger but a decent and more affordable one.