S h o r t c u t t o a f i l e ? ?

Jimbotronics

Jan 11, 2011
Anyone know how to create a shortcut on the home screen to an sdcard file?

This is child's play via Ubuntu linux on a PC, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it on the Coby. The "select shortcut" menu following a long press on a home screen offers no help at all that I can decipher.

I'd like to put a shortcut on my home screen to an .mp4 file on the sdcard, so that I could simply tap the shortcut and immediately watch the video. So far, no joy.

Help would be gratefully appreciated!

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
You have to put them in a folder first. Settings-Add-Add Folder. This will put a folder with your video file on your home screen.

BTW, what is with the weirdly formatted subject??

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
You can use Astro File manager.. it will allow you to do shortcuts directly to individual files...

once you DL/instal the app... long press on the homescreen and select the "shortcuts" item then "Astro"... find the folder/file you want to shortcut and long press it.. it'll then bring up a dialouge to name the shortcut... voila.. there are a few other file managers that will do similar.. but IMO Astro intigrates the best with Android... naitive zip/unzip, moduals for networked file transfers, plus much more.... check it out.. i'd be glad to offer more detail on the app but i'm sure you can figure it all out

Jimbotronics

Jan 11, 2011
Thanks, Astro does the trick. (Already had it installed, but didn't see the procedure.) Thanks again.