Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Apple iPad

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
PCworld has an interesting article comparing the Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Apple's iPad. Here are just a few of the hardware comparisons:

Size
The Samsung Galaxy Tab is smaller than the current Apple iPad (although rumors suggest a smaller 7-inch iPad model is in the works). The iPad is almost the size of a standard sheet of paper at roughly ten by eight inches, and it weighs a pound and a half. We don't yet know the weight of the Galaxy Tab, but based on a video teaser the size appears to be similar to the Amazon Kindle.

Display
The iPad has a 9.7-inch touchscreen display capable of 1024x768 resolution. As the smaller size mentioned above implies, the Galaxy Tab display is smaller. The Samsung tablet uses a 7-inch display originally thought to be limited to 800x600 resolution, but newer speculation is that it is 1024x600.

Processor
Apple designed a custom A4 processor for the iPad. It is a high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip running at 1GHz. Sources report that the Galaxy Tab will run on a similar 1GHz ARM processor.

Features
Many of the features are similar, but this is one area where the Galaxy Tab doesn't just compare, but can set the bar for what to expect in the next-generation iPad. Based on the video, it appears that the Galaxy Tab has both front and rear-facing cameras, and is capable of video chat. The Galaxy Tab is also expected to support Adobe Flash, and possibly be able to play HD video.

Be sure to check out the entire article here: Samsung Galaxy Tab v. Apple iPad: How Do They Compare? - PCWorld Business Center

Snoopy

Jul 3, 2010
nice breakdown dandroid, it would be great if it could play HD video. I'm trying not to let my hopes rise to much for the Galaxy tablet that way when the specs come out I can appreciate them! also not sure how much I'd use either camera, but I really feel the rear facing camera is not very important for me so not a "wow factor" it will be interesting to see how many of these rumors are true!

dabid123

Oct 11, 2010
Samsung's Galaxy tab is a great Android tablet. Android 2.2, GPS, bluetooth, everything you could ask for a pc tablet, the Samsung Galaxy tab has it. Other tablets like the Witstech A81E and apple's Ipad could probably compete with this, but I'll stay loyal to my Galaxy tab!Go Samsung lovers haha =)

cheekers2010

Oct 19, 2010
I had a chance to check out the Galaxy tab over the last 5 days (a pre-commercial unit provided by a vendor). I also usually have my department's iPad in my possession so I feel qualified to compare both.

The long and short of it is that the Galaxy is a worthy competitor to the iPad (the first of several to come, I'm sure). At the expected price point of $399 plus a reasonable monthly data plan, it is worth the price ... right now. Apart from the obvious specs, its advantages are a smaller form factor that is easier to tuck into a night table drawer, glove box, car center console storage, handbag/purse or even a front pants pocket (if you're a big guy in relaxed-fit khakis). The screen is razor sharp and responsive and it fulfills several roles well including almost everything you've come to love in the current crop of Android phones (except the phone part) and it's web browsing experience is on a par with the iPad's due to the resolution. The included Swype technology makes for an easy-to-use input alternative that works even better than it does on smaller mobile phone screens. Gaming apps on this unit ran fine and the size of the Galaxy makes for a more comfortable, less tiring mobile game platform.

On the down side, battery life was noticeably lower than the iPad's. If you are the type who will put in an hour or two of use a day plus reach for it from time to time throughout the day to check email or web quickly, then this unit will have all the juice you'll need to get through an average day and have a little power left over for more use, extending into part of another day if needed. If you tend to use it more than that, you'll run out of juice before the day is through. Speaking of charging, the cable is a proprietary deal that looks a lot like - but is not compatible/interchangeable with - an iPad cable. If you lose it, you probably won't be able to just grab one at the local Best Buy. The smaller screen size is much of an impediment, but there will always be a few apps that benefit from a little more screen real estate.

While lighter than the iPad, this thing can also be tiring (to the support hand) to hold up for long periods, but that is a minor personal observation.

Like I said earlier, it's a worthy competitor. But the iPad's ubiquity and tons of 3rd party support should not be discounted. That has real value to a lot of people and the crowded arena that the Google Android tablet market will eventually become will also necessarily degrade the amount of 3rd party support that any single player in that market will be able to generate.

Last edited:

dejavus

Oct 20, 2010
I had a chance to check out the Galaxy tab over the last 5 days (a pre-commercial unit provided by a vendor). I also usually have my department's iPad in my possession so I feel qualified to compare both.

The long and short of it is that the Galaxy is a worthy competitor to the iPad (the first of several to come, I'm sure). At the expected price point of $399 plus a reasonable monthly data plan, it is worth the price ... right now. Apart from the obvious specs, its advantages are a smaller form factor that is easier to tuck into a night table drawer, glove box, car center console storage, handbag/purse or even a front pants pocket (if you're a big guy in relaxed-fit khakis). The screen is razor sharp and responsive and it fulfills several roles well including almost everything you've come to love in the current crop of Android phones (except the phone part) and it's web browsing experience is on a par with the iPad's due to the resolution. The included Swype technology makes for an easy-to-use input alternative that works even better than it does on smaller mobile phone screens. Gaming apps on this unit ran fine and the size of the Galaxy makes for a more comfortable, less tiring mobile game platform.

On the down side, battery life was noticeably lower than the iPad's. If you are the type who will put in an hour or two of use a day plus reach for it from time to time throughout the day to check email or web quickly, then this unit will have all the juice you'll need to get through an average day and have a little power left over for more use, extending into part of another day if needed. If you tend to use it more than that, you'll run out of juice before the day is through. Speaking of charging, the cable is a proprietary deal that looks a lot like - but is not compatible/interchangeable with - an iPad cable. If you lose it, you probably won't be able to just grab one at the local Best Buy. The smaller screen size is much of an impediment, but there will always be a few apps that benefit from a little more screen real estate.

While lighter than the iPad, this thing can also be tiring (to the support hand) to hold up for long periods, but that is a minor personal observation.

Like I said earlier, it's a worthy competitor. But the iPad's ubiquity and tons of 3rd party support should not be discounted. That has real value to a lot of people and the crowded arena that the Google Android tablet market will eventually become will also necessarily degrade the amount of 3rd party support that any single player in that market will be able to generate.

that was quite helpful..I have my eyes set on the tab as well...unless I can get something cheaper...

cheekers2010

Oct 19, 2010
Unless you have an immediate need for one, it helps to bear in mind that right behind the Galaxy will be a veritable deluge of Android tablets that'll probably be faster and/or cheaper, though Samsung has been around a while and makes quality products.

Also, outside of browsing the web or reading books at larger type sizes, there is nothing this device does that most of the current Android mobile phones cannot do either as well or almost as well, so if you've got one of those, you can afford to wait and see. I have both the HTC Incredible and HTC EVO and can vouch for that.

I am fortunate that my "gotta have it: syndrome is often quelled by the fact that I get to demo lots of devices like these for short periods. After a couple of days, I usually realize that there isn't much I would be doing with most of these things that I'm not doing now. The only exception has been my HTC Incredible; that was my keeper and I do everything with it.

Oct 2, 2010
I agree with you. I look at the Galaxy Tab as a larger version of a smart phone, which is what I want. I would like to read books and watch videos on a larger screen, but still get the functionality of a smart phone without the interrupting phone calls! Right now I have an N1 and while I am happy with it beyond all of my expectations, would love a larger screen and the ability to hear videos without headphones. :)

Yes, it's pricey, but I got an N1 for what it could do, and as long as the Galaxy Tab does what I expect it to do, will be equally happy with that as well. I don't mind paying for what I really want, and don't want to compromise by buying a cheaper tablet that's almost but not quite right.

iamdestruktor

Aug 31, 2010
Darn these contracts tablets are going to come out with. I think it might be the deciding factor in the end.