Samsung & Google Working on Next-Gen Nexus 10; Could be First Key Lime Pie Device

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
nexus-10-black-background.jpg

A couple of different sources have some interesting tidbits about the next high-end 10-inch Android tablet from Google and Samsung. Supposedly, the two are already heavily into development of the next generation Nexus 10, and it is rumored that it will be the first Android 5.0/Key Lime Pie device. Despite the fact that the Nexus 10 wasn't a blockbuster like the Nexus 7, the two companies still see great value in pursuing a sequel. It is expected the device will launch in September or October, which is "coincidentally" when Key Lime Pie is likely to arrive. Here's a quote with the details,

After today’s Android and Chrome event, the Wall Street Journal’s Amir Efrati, who has a good track record with Google news, was able to get some information out of Pichai on the future of the Nexus 10, and Google TV as well. According to tweets from Efrati’s account, Pichai said new Google TV devices are coming soon (they won’t be replaced by Chromecast), and a new Samsung manufactured Nexus 10 will be available in the near future.

This fall, October to be specific, is when we expect to see the next Nexus phone and Key Lime Pie, rumored to launch as Android 5.0. This would be the perfect time to launch a new Nexus 10 and a new version of Android along with it. The last Nexus 10 was released in November of 2012, so an October release would put the tablet on a yearly release cycle.

What do you guys think of this news? If Android 5.0 comes on the Nexus 10, and the specs were solid, would you consider it?

Source: AndroidandMe

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
I'd definitely consider a 2nd-Gen Nexus 10, but it would obviously depend on features/specs/price. While there is technically nothing wrong at all with my Acer A700, upgrading to a lighter/faster/higher resolution 10" tablet has it's allure... ;)

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I'm sure that a 10-inch Nexus with Android 5.0 will definitely have solid specs. However, apps are still Android's weak point. Too many are still not optimized for large screen tablets, meaning that their just blown-up smartphone apps.
Google should take the lead and make some killer Android apps like iMovie and GarageBand. Both are excellent apps that help justify the iPad as more than a consumption device, and there’s really nothing that comes anywhere close on Android.
The good news is that Android isn’t wanting for tablet-optimized productivity suites. OfficeSuite looks great on tablets, but there are other options, like Google Drive and Kingsoft Office. Something definitely worthwhile considering.

fbales

May 5, 2010
I'm more interested in the next interation of the Galaxy Note 10.1. Even if the Nexus 10 would have a stylus I'd still go for a Note 10.1 because I think Samsung owns this market.

CARMELHILL

Nov 13, 2012
I've been holding off on upgrading from my dog slow Acer A500. I bought my wife a Nexus 7 a few months ago, but I've been using it more than her. So I'll snap up the new Nexus 10 to supplement my Galaxy 7 2.0 and (my :) Nexus 7.

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
I'm more interested in the next interation of the Galaxy Note 10.1. Even if the Nexus 10 would have a stylus I'd still go for a Note 10.1 because I think Samsung owns this market.

I'd look more seriously at the Note 10.1 if it didn't have that god-awful glossy plastic back. I'm not against plastic-bodied products, but the Note 10.1 feels like a cheaply-made toy that costs $500 to me.

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
However, apps are still Android's weak point. Too many are still not optimized for large screen tablets, meaning that their just blown-up smartphone apps.
Google should take the lead and make some killer Android apps

Too true... :(