Scanning Bar Codes and QR Codes

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
Has anyone had any luch with this feature. I did get a reading with QR once but the result was wrong.

If so, any suggestions on an app?

Thanks all....

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
I wonder if it is because of low MP number.

Does anyone know if there is a requiement needed? I only have a 2.0 on my S7.

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
I have not been able to get any barcodes to scan on my s7. With my Driod X I do not have any problems. My guess is it is a difference between a 2.0mp and 8.0mp.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I have gotten this to work with the S7, but only from print, never from one on my monitor. I am using BarCode Scanner, and it works when I see things in magazines, if I hold it about 12" from the page.

tuffigirl

Dec 17, 2010
I don't understand this because I've never once had it fail on me. Downloaded Barcode Scanner the 2nd day I had my S7 and have used it constantly without any problems. I'm adding a screenshot just as an example.

20110104_6.jpg

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Just a quick check for people that have problems. A LOT of people have missed the fact that there actually is a protective film over the rear camera on the S7, and this can seriously impede the photo quality of that lens.

Remove the battery cover and check to see if you still have the safety film over that lens.

-p

tuffigirl

Dec 17, 2010
I knew about it and left it on purposely... doesn't seem to interfere at all. To be sure though I just tested it on my fiancés 15" laptop since I've been using it on my 27" monitor. Still worked perfectly... maybe because of the lighting? It's very bright in here right now... and I've always used it in the daytime hours. I'll have to try it out after dark and see what happens.

fluxxion

Dec 8, 2010
I've got BarCode Scanner and it works fine for me. I can scan print and monitor codes. I like this app because you can call/embed it from your own apps.

mclpro

Feb 17, 2011
That perhaps as barcode scanning's relevance increases on tablets...magazines and newspapers will have to find new ways to engage the consumer through other forms of media using QR codes to get them to read their publications on tablets and smartphones.

Newspapers are experiencing record declines and so are magazines...

jhsband84

Dec 14, 2010
I just downloaded Barcode Scanner by ZXing Team (I think this is the one pbrauer mentioned). This one has worked here, bright light, holding the S7 about 8-10 inches from the barcode label. As I posted earlier in a camera quality thread, I had tried several other scanners at home, but maybe because of lower light conditions and the lack of auto-focus, I hadn't been able to scan anything.

Update: successfully scanned a QR code off my monitor (under flourescent lighting) with Barcode Scanner. Held the tablet about 6" from the screen. It scanned successfuly immediately.

Last edited:

smartin

Jan 31, 2011
Remove the battery cover and check to see if you still have the safety film over that lens.
I suspected after initial use that I might have missed a film cover but hadn't thought to check UNDER the battery cover. I just checked, and that wasn't the solution for my crappy camera--good thought, though!

Steve

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
I suspect there may be quality issues with the camera, I cannot even read the numerical data under the bar code. So bar codes no chance, the lines are much too blurred under light that I am happy to read under.

Scanning on my HTC hero in much worse light works

Pete, on the move...

raynardo

Mar 23, 2011
Works like a charmer for me. It was the first app I installed when I purchased this thing 10 days ago. Print or electronic, no difference.

Sent from my Ideos S7