Screen Calibration ROM Update for Gentouch

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
They were holding off because they were afraid they would lose root.

But people are flashing now. The screen is now usable without the use of a stylus. The recovery mode is not als now also functioning.

wuyanks

Jul 23, 2010
happy they're pushing updates. so the screen is more responsive now, or just more accurate?

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I just completed the project! Works like a charm! :) I had 1 desktop 64-bit 7U, 32-bit 7U netbook, 64-bit 7U laptop and 32-bit XPPSP3 laptop was the only one able to take on this task. They wanted you to put the files on the desktop. Nope best split the files on the root of C: OS own dir and the other one for the USB. Still what they had shown in the PDF never was the same in real life. But I got it to work. Now got extra icon. I have got use too this device I can't let it out of my hands. Even fall asleep with it in my lounge chair! LOL!

Augen Gentouch 78 Tablet PC Review Part 5 - Screen Calibration ROM Push

Last edited by a moderator:

Api

Aug 3, 2010
I installed the Screen Calibration and (USB Charging) Update using my desktop PC running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Make sure you put the OS folder on your C: drive so it is located at c:\os and put the other folder on your PC desktop. Don't leave or put on the Gentouch.

In the instructions provided, where it says to hold down the button on the back of the case, it refers to the Backspace button (on the far left when viewed from the rear).

What I did is I pressed the Backspace button and continued to hold it the whole time the update took place. In other words, I did not release it.

So, hold down the Backspace button and keep holding it down, use a paperclip to press the Reset pinhole button, and keep holding down the Backspace button until the whole update process completes. You will not be prompted for new hardware found, as in XP, but you will see the Windows 7 found new hardware and is installing updates and if you put the folders in the right place, Windows 7 will automatically run the software update and the Gentouch will update the internal program memory (ROM). You will see the update taking place in the DOS window on the PC. Be patient and keep holding down the backspace, as I did, until the whole update completes, even if your finger tires holding down the backspace.

When the DOS window box closes and disappears, the Gentouch is updated. At that point, release your holddown of the Backspace button. Then use your paperclip to click the Reset once.

Make sure to unplug the USB connection and the power before doing the calibrate. I found that this may make a difference.

When the Gentouch restarts, find the AndroidCalibrate app in the programs and click on it. A green + will display on the screen in the left upper quadrant. I had to wait about 30 seconds before it would recognize my press (I used the stylus). Note that you should NOT press hard, because it seems that the amount of pressing calibrates the pressure needed and adjusts the sensitivity (this is an assumption, but I ran the calibrate a couple of times and it doesn't take much to have it sense the pressing.) I also was very careful not to touch the screen anywhere else with my hand when doing the calibrate presses.

The USB charging also works well. Now, when I plug in the USB cable, it shows that it is charging (without having to use the charger). Of course, I had previously installed the SD Card and USB Driver Update from Augen well before doing this update.

Hope this helps some of you out there. This worked for me. (I did not try the update without holding down the backspace, since the way I did it holding it down the whole time of the update worked for me. I would like to know if others are able to update on Windows following my instructions, but not holding down the Backspace the whole time.) Good luck.

Last edited:

cproth

Jul 26, 2010
downloading and installing it now....::fingers crossed:: Did anyone else notice the new "alternative app store" update too?

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
API can you get it to work with 7U, for me it won't see the unit. XP no issues.

cproth

Jul 26, 2010
OK! This is a bit better. The instructions are a bit convoluted but go with what you know (ie. How to actually install drivers). Most of us already had the ADB installed so just go into the device manager and update the drivers with the downloaded drivers. I also just held onto the "BACK" button during the install. The calibration itself comes with no directions but its just like every other screen calibration you've ever done. Except for the last cross I had to hold onto that FOREVER. :) Post calibration = happier. I don't have to jam my fingernail into the screen anymore....oh yeah Windows 7

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Don't forget to get the New Appstore one also I had just posted the link in this thread for G78.

Xcountry

Jul 31, 2010
I installed the Screen Calibration and (USB Charging) Update using my desktop PC running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Make sure you put the OS folder on your C: drive so it is located at c:\os and put the other folder on your PC desktop. Don't leave or put on the Gentouch.

In the instructions provided, where it says to hold down the button on the back of the case, it refers to the Backspace button (on the far left when viewed from the rear).

What I did is I pressed the Backspace button and continued to hold it the whole time the update took place. In other words, I did not release it.

So, hold down the Backspace button and keep holding it down, use a paperclip to press the Reset pinhole button, and keep holding down the Backspace button until the whole update process completes. You will not be prompted for new hardware found, as in XP, but you will see the Windows 7 found new hardware and is installing updates and if you put the folders in the right place, Windows 7 will automatically run the software update and the Gentouch will update the internal program memory (ROM). You will see the update taking place in the DOS window on the PC. Be patient and keep holding down the backspace, as I did, until the whole update completes, even if your finger tires holding down the backspace.

When the DOS window box closes and disappears, the Gentouch is updated. At that point, release your holddown of the Backspace button. Then use your paperclip to click the Reset once.

Make sure to unplug the USB connection and the power before doing the calibrate. I found that this may make a difference.

When the Gentouch restarts, find the AndroidCalibrate app in the programs and click on it. A green + will display on the screen in the left upper quadrant. I had to wait about 30 seconds before it would recognize my press (I used the stylus). Note that you should NOT press hard, because it seems that the amount of pressing calibrates the pressure needed and adjusts the sensitivity (this is an assumption, but I ran the calibrate a couple of times and it doesn't take much to have it sense the pressing.) I also was very careful not to touch the screen anywhere else with my hand when doing the calibrate presses.

The USB charging also works well. Now, when I plug in the USB cable, it shows that it is charging (without having to use the charger). Of course, I had previously installed the SD Card and USB Driver Update from Augen well before doing this update.

Hope this helps some of you out there. This worked for me. (I did not try the update without holding down the backspace, since the way I did it holding it down the whole time of the update worked for me. I would like to know if others are able to update on Windows following my instructions, but not holding down the Backspace the whole time.) Good luck.

Is this with Windows 7U 64???

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Drivers is for 32-bit OS. I use 7U 64-bit and 7U 32-bit both can't see these drivers. XP works like charm.

gmpdmd

Aug 5, 2010

Followed these on my laptop running 64 bit XP and all is good! Thanks!!

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Augen 8/10/10 next ROM release will have Windows 7 USB drivers.