[ROM] Gentouch78 Rooted v0.3 (for v1)

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
APPLIES TO OLD VERSION OF GENTOUCH

mini.pirate.png

59147_429488662948_579882948_5104946_8210481_n.jpg

This is what I am using. It's been a few weeks now and not one issue so far. You get Rooting and Clockwork Recovery in one shot made easy.

Author Specs and Instructions

Lincs Update.zip w/ Augen Patch v3

Summary of process:
Modified Gentouch78 software patch released on 8/22/2010 by Augen was copied and modified to include enhancements like the addition of Clockwork Recovery to make future software updates/flashes by the user easier. This process will also restore applications that originally came with your device such as Youtube, Talk, Gmail, etc. which will be removed by the 8/19/2010 Augen Gentouch software patch. This patch also adds features such as home, back, volume and control panel access buttons available onscreen, etc.

This update consists of a two step process.
Step 1 will apply the Gentouch software patch
Step 2 will restore applications that originally came with your device but was removed by the 8/19/2010 Augen patch. A Droid Pirate will also greet you hello upon boot up

Please read and re-read ALL instructions BEFORE you begin these steps.

STEP 1 PC HDD (C:\OS)
-Download the zip file: gentouch78patchv3-Lincs.zip

These are the files you will use IN PLACE of Augen's gentouch78patchv3.zip files. This patch includes AUGEN's update in addition to ClockWork Recovery. FOLLOW Augen's instructions (PDF document), using the files contained in this zip

You may view your device to see the enhancements made by Augen's 8/19/2010 software patch before you continue to STEP 2. You may notice missing or non working Google Apps. Step 2 will restore the Google applications.

STEP 2 (SDCARD)
-Download bootimg-su-googleapps-hosts-pirate.update3.zip. Copy this zip to the SDcard. No need to rename this file as it can be installed AS IS.
-Power down the device
-Boot into Clockwork Recovery (holding down the HOME button while powering up the device)
-Select install zip from sdcard
-Select choose zip from sdcard (it may take a min or so for clockwork to mount your sdcard so if it says no sdcard present just wait and try again)
-Select the zip file you want to flash.
-Once completed reboot
-Enjoy the new features!

Please note: By following these series of steps, you agree to and assume full responsibility for ANY and ALL repercussion, whether positive or negative. These instructions are supplied as educational materials only. Please use these instructions with only the files mentioned above! Again, the 8/19/2010 Augen Gentouch software patch was pulled from Augen's download area but this contains a copy of that patch. DO NOT mix and match versions of files unless instructed to do so.

Features for bootimg-su-googleapps-hosts-pirate.update3.zip

Apps removed from /system/data
AndExplorer.apk
AndroidPdfViewer_1_0_0b.apk
com.skype.android.lite.apk
DroidLive205.apk
fringAndroid.apk
Hi_MSN_6_0_5.apk
iReader.apk
quickoffice.apk
StreamMediaPlayer.apk

Apps added to /system/data
3D.Gallery.apk [NEW]
CustomLocale.apk
Development.apk
Email.apk
GlobalTime.apk
Gmail.apk
GmailProvider.apk
Maps.apk
MarketUpdater.apk
RotateD.apk
SettingsProvider.apk
SpareParts.apk
Superuser.apk
Talk.apk
TalkProvider.apk
Vending.apk
YouTube.apk

Other items
boot.img with /cache fix Updated my boot.img. this update.zip now has a working /cache fix.
root access
pirate andy
hosts file to block some ads [NEW]

More Powertool Apps to use here
More Powertool Plus Apps to use here

Follow this how to install Step #1

These are not from AuGen but it works. There is a program also but I disable that using IOBIT Advanced System Care Free | Pro [Startup Manager].
Just use the USB driver that only shows in the Device Manager when you connect your Gentouch to the PC.

USB Drivers 32-bit for Windows XP/Vista/7
USB Drivers 64-bit for Windows XP/Vista/7

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Frees up wasted space. I also notice that can also clear caches in apps.

Draugr

Aug 15, 2010
I came across this thread.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-updates-patches-usb-drivers-32-64-bit-5.html

I followed the instructions and updated my Gentouch. I now have the pirate Android showing upon bootup. What I wanted to ask is this...

The Google Market doesn't seem to work. Anything I select to download shows a page stating that it is starting the download, but then nothing happens. Does anyone know what might be wrong? Should I attempt to update the Gentouch again with the files from this thread?

Thanks,
John

Draugr

Aug 15, 2010
Note: The files I downloaded yesterday from the other thread seem to be the same as the two offered here in Tipstir's initial post in this thread.

Oh and in case I forgot... THANKS Tipstir for gathering all this info and placing it here for us newbs. :)

sifon187

Aug 22, 2010
I came across this thread.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-updates-patches-usb-drivers-32-64-bit-5.html

I followed the instructions and updated my Gentouch. I now have the pirate Android showing upon bootup. What I wanted to ask is this...

The Google Market doesn't seem to work. Anything I select to download shows a page stating that it is starting the download, but then nothing happens. Does anyone know what might be wrong? Should I attempt to update the Gentouch again with the files from this thread?

Thanks,
John

If you are still having problems, try this Market Fix. Non-ugly market fix for GT78

This requires you to have adb setup, if you need help with that, go here. http://augendev.wikispaces.com/

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
If you install PDAnet 64-bit the drivers work with GEntouch78. You can disable the startup of PDANet and just use the drivers. I can then use my SDK tools with Gentouch78 and the Flytouch. With this firmware ad host is included. I've added WiFi Buddy, WiFi Analyzer and Android Info System below package.

More Powertool Plus Apps to use here

Here are the 64-bit USB drivers on Windows 7 Ultimated 64-bit I use in PDAnet64

Last edited:

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
When I hold down the back button and push reset windows trys to install "Android" the command prompt does nothing still waiting for device. what to do now? Already downloaded the usb drivers from Augen's website. I have XP if it matters...

Draugr

Aug 15, 2010
Hi.
I just followed this process from step 1 which was to Factory Reset my Gentouch. I then installed Lics version of Patch 3 and the second linc file (the zip file) that you run through Clockwork and select the zip file off of the SD card to load the Pirate Android and other apps, etc...
I then got adb working and followed the instructions on the following website (http://augendev.wikispaces.com/). I tried the "Market Fix -NEW" option on that site. Now when I boot up the Gentouch and go to the Google Market I am still stuck at the part where it says "starting download" yet it never begins.

Can anyone help me? I also tried the complete process 3 times in case I made a mistake on the earlier attempts and I'm still having the same problem of the hanging downloads.

Also, how can I tell if I have an Android ID for the Market?

When factory resetting the Gentouch when I boot back up it wants me to create or login with my Google account. Do I need to create a new account for it to work, or can I use my pre-existing account on Google? for the record I tried both. The first time I completed the full process I used my current Google account. The second time I factory reset the Gentouch and then completed the full process I used a new account. Results are the same unfortunately. I get the hanging download problem still.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
John

Last edited: