screen whine?

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Thanks Mike and you are right on. If you listen closely almost all devices whine these days. It is just a matter of how noticeable it is.

....and I know of at least one device that make a hissing noise when turned on!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
To be honest, the sounds supplies make don't bother me, as nothing will ever be so loud as a CRT TV. I can't tell you how many headaches I used to get as a kid because all I could hear all day were our lovely computer monitors. With LCD and plasmas everywhere, the world is a quieter place.

This!

Quite honestly, my hearing was ruined by spending all my adult life in front of CRT monitors.

I never spent any significant amount of time listening to music too loud, and always wore hearing protection at the gun range, etc.

But after a full day at work my ears would be ringing, because I sat in front of at least one, and most often two CRTs and associated equipment. I was seldom aware of the noise, but it was there, just above my hearing range. And it was loud.

The ringing would go away after a few hours out of the office.
But eventually the ringing became permanent.

There is a reason we old farts tell the whipersnappers to turn down the earbuds. If you want to enjoy music when you are old, you better back it down a few notches while you are young. But chances are you won't; what the hell would those old geezers know about modern audio equipment anyway!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Hi everyone,

Given what has been said about the whine, that it doesn't vary with brightness and such, but does stop when the tablet is asleep, I would expect that the sound is coming from the switchmode supplies that regulate the battery supply.

I sincerely doubt this.

The OP states that the sound disappears when you plug in the earphones, thereby cutting off the speakers.

Therefore the source must be the speaker circuit, and not a coil.

Further, these tablets have a power regulator that is built into a single chip which is smaller than anything you have pictured.
And no such coils can be found anywhere on the Mother Board(s) of the Acer. Take a look at these pictures:
Cracking Open the Acer Iconia Tab A500 | TechRepublic

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Wow. Had to put on quality headphones and crank up the volume to hear that.
You only hear it when the camera zooms in.

balcanic

Dec 18, 2011
Sorry for the quality of shooting.Infact it sounds a little louder.
So,is this noise normal?
What I noticed and it seems strange,when it reaches 80%charge does not make this noise.Strange.

Last edited:

mikefox

Dec 19, 2011
This is the sound.

I think that any sound loud enough for your camera to pick up, regardless of the source, is far too loud. It's probably worth taking it back and trying another one, I know that they're not all crap, mine hasn't broken...yet. :/

snakedoc34

May 10, 2012
This is the sound.

I just got an a500 today, factory refurbished and it is making this same exact sound. I called the warranty department to get it replaced and they said they would. But as soon as I got off the phone with them I noticed the sound went away, but my battery was over 80 percent at that point and I noticed you said the sound goes away after 80 percent... Did you get yours replaced? And if so, was the sound gone from that one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Mike,

It could be a leaky capacitor as well. That would be the more common reason for noise. Especially in switchmode PSU's. Usually the electrolytic types. I'd replace the caps one by one.