So, You Want To Print With Your Android Tablet, Here Are Some Tips

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
So, you want to print! Piece of cake! (btw: this works for Android phones too.)

You have a lot of options so you need to choose which 1 or preferably 2, you will use. I'll explain how, and why.

Google Cloud Print

The most flexible way to print from an Android tablet, ANY Android tablet, is to use Google Cloud Print. It requires 2 things. You first need an app on your tablet (or phone) called.......Cloud Print, which can be found here. You will also need Google Chrome installed on a computer. Chrome does not need to be running for it to work. Make certain you are signed in to Chrome using the same account you used on your tablet. In Chrome, click on the wrench then settings then advanced at the bottom to set up Cloud Print on your system.

Go here to set up what will for most be the classic printers and follow the instructions.

So, what will this accomplish? You will be able to print to nearly all the printers on the system Chrome is installed on, from anywhere you have an Internet connection. Cool huh? But some people have an issue with sending the print job to the cloud first, which is going to happen even if you're setting next to the printer. But it works. The computer Chrome is install on must have access to the printers you want to use, that's all there is to it.

PrinterShare

PrinterShare will allow you to print to virtually all of the printers connected to your network when you are in the same location, without going into the cloud first. There is a free version of PrinterShare here, just to make certain it works. You will be able to print test pages to your printer(s) before having to shell out $12.95 for the full feature key, which can be found here. So, you ask, why spend the $12.95? Several reasons, though the big one is that it allows you to print to other people's printers when you are at their home or office. I have used PrinterShare to print to network attached printers at many of my customer's offices. And it works well. PrinterShare will also allow you to print to CloudPrint and has the ability to locate nearby printers, wired, wireless and/or blue tooth. Beyond that, many people have noticed that the included GMail app does not have the SHARE function, so printing cannot be achieved. PrinterShare can access your GMail, Calendar, Contact and Documents (if you grant it permission) to allow it to print to local or cloud printers. For other types of accounts, you are still out of luck because the Email app does not have a share option either. Some other mail clients do have a share option to allow printing if you need it.

QYpYA.png

An app very similar to PrinterShare is PrintBot. Found here. It also has a full "Pro" key for only $4.99 and the free version, as with PrinterShare is for testing. Though PrintBot works, it isn't quite as flexible nor does it appear to support as many printers as PrinterShare.

Alternatives

Most of the major printer companies have free apps on the Google Store, like Epson, HP, (mostly for printing photos) and others so it pays to do a search on the Store to see if your brand is listed. There is no guarantee that if you have an Epson printer that their printer app will work but since the app is free it's worth a shot. These can be very handy if you have a mulit-function printer as some of these apps will allow you to print as well as scan from your tablet.

PrinterShare has been on sale several times on the Amazon Stores so you could get lucky. I prefer having 2 options. Cloud Print makes it simple to print to your printers from anywhere you have a connection, but apps like PrinterShare add the ability to print to other printers and if it's a WiFi printer it doesn't even need to be connected to a local computer. Be aware that even PrinterShare will fail to be able to print to some more sophisticated office printers but I have had good luck with it.

Credit Frederuco for his help.

Last edited:

elf69

Sep 21, 2010
OK so I have an older brother DCP-340CW.

I cannot use the cloud methord as the laptop is rarely on.

Me and my girlfriend use our tablets for almost everything.

Tried printershare but no go :(
It found the printer and when I click test print the printer says "receiving data" but thats it this message stays on screen until I push stop button.

I downloaded the brother app.
I can scan wifi but its has a green tint to the scan but I cannot print only shows 34% on the progress bar and stops, I left it go for 12 hours but no change.

Tried 4-5 apps so far some find the brother and others do not.

Think I need go buy a newer printer but I love this brother, also as it was free :) always a bonus.

Linkc

Feb 25, 2014
Anyone have luck with HP ePrint? It will find the printer on my wifi, but won't trigger a print.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome aboard

That ePrint app seems to be hut and miss. I have seen several posts from people who could not get it to work. Do keep in mind that many Android apps can't print either, which is another issue.

Hjukke

Jul 22, 2015
A very simple way to print phone messages via email. You need to transfer phone messages to email account, then use printer to print .

Jihettly Hunter

Dec 3, 2015
Anyone have luck with HP ePrint? It will find the printer on my wifi, but won't trigger a print.

I have HP ePrint but will have to install it on my new tablet. If I'm successful, I will try to share. I'm new so someone here surely has more experience. HP print apps are free so that's good.