Softkeys- Why?

zensven42

Jan 21, 2011
I followed these instructions to root my NC- NookColor Rooting - nookDevs.
I tried to follow the instructions about setting up softkeys but everytime I hit the N button I get this, "Complete actions using" and then it has 2 options, home and softkeys. Not sure what I did wrong there.

My main question though is what is softkeys for? It doesn't seem to do anything. Do I need it?

rytyshy

Dec 21, 2010
You'll probably want to choose softkeys and check the don't ask me again box at the bottom. Then you can set up how the N key works through the soft keys settings.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I followed these instructions to root my NC- NookColor Rooting - nookDevs.
I tried to follow the instructions about setting up softkeys but everytime I hit the N button I get this, "Complete actions using" and then it has 2 options, home and softkeys. Not sure what I did wrong there.

My main question though is what is softkeys for? It doesn't seem to do anything. Do I need it?
Another thing to remember is that like "mime-types" on a Windows machine, this is how Android responds when you try to start an activity (like web browser) or open a document (like a PDF) and Android finds 2 or more apps that can do it: you get that "which app do you want to use?" dialog. If you check the box, the one you choose becomes the default and it stops asking.

If at some point later you want to choose a different default app, you can go NookColor Tools -> All Settings -> Manage Applications, then pick the app that has become the default for that activity--in this case SoftKeys or whichever launcher and then press the "Clear defaults" button!

-Matt

zensven42

Jan 21, 2011
You'll probably want to choose softkeys and check the don't ask me again box at the bottom. Then you can set up how the N key works through the soft keys settings.

There is no "don't ask me again" box

I'm just going to try button savior

Last edited: