[Solved] Unable To Access Internal Memory

Don9992

Jan 20, 2012
A month or so ago, my app updates began to fail with the "Insufficient storage space" error. I've tried multiple times to free space and last night, in a fit of desperation, threw most of my apps overboard to see if I could clear enough space. I'm still getting the error whenever I try to update or load a new app. Apps finish downloading and then the error gets thrown when they attempt to install.

My storage screen shows the following:

Total space: 12.71GB
Apps: 885MB
Pictures, videos: 11.79MB
Audio: 40KB
Downloads: 31.5MB
Misc.: 108MB
Available: 237MB

I haven't found any info about a virus with symptoms like this. Does anybody have an idea what's locking up my RAM?

Last edited by a moderator:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
You may want to open your file manager and do some poking around. You may have some files not being properly identified as being a part of what's on your internal storage. You may find some items there that are leftover from the uninstalled apps, among other things. If you can get it installed there is an app called DiskUsage. That will display everything on the disk and it's easy to pick out large files.

Don9992

Jan 20, 2012
I'm thinking that, rather than go wandering down a long diagnostic path, I may just trash it back to the factory settings, root it, and start over. I have so many apps to restore, that may be my most time-effective option. Most of the files I care about are on the SD card anyway.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
I'm thinking that, rather than go wandering down a long diagnostic path, I may just trash it back to the factory settings, root it, and start over. I have so many apps to restore, that may be my most time-effective option. Most of the files I care about are on the SD card anyway.
If the tablet is rooted already, check in /data/gps. The Iconia GPS driver sprung a leak when the ICS update came out. If you frequently use the GPS receiver or just leave it on, it leaks thousands of files over time, and that eventually consumes all free internal storage space. All you need to do in that case is delete the files from /data/gps. If the tablet is not rooted, a Factory data reset will clear out the problem files, but you have to turn off the internal GPS receiver to prevent the buildup.

Don9992

Jan 20, 2012
Good information, Mrhelper. I do use the GPS function frequently and your description fits the symptoms I was seeing. I did the reset and that did, indeed, fix the issue. I also rooted it this time so I'll keep a note of what to delete in the future.

Thanks!

detz

Jan 3, 2012
Mrhelper....thanks for the info. I recently ran into this problem of "low storage space" notification. I eventually did a manual reset which solved the problem, but I didnt know what caused the problem in the first place or that if I didnt... "go into settings > location services > and uncheck the box... GPS satellites " that I would eventually have the same problem again. the question I have for you now is... is there a app that I can d/load from market that will let me open that file "data/gps" to delete the file or the simplist way of accomplishing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure other members.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Mrhelper....thanks for the info. I recently ran into this problem of "low storage space" notification. I eventually did a manual reset which solved the problem, but I didnt know what caused the problem in the first place or that if I didnt... "go into settings > location services > and uncheck the box... GPS satellites " that I would eventually have the same problem again. the question I have for you now is... is there a app that I can d/load from market that will let me open that file "data/gps" to delete the file or the simplist way of accomplishing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure other members.
The /data/gps directory (folder) and files within are all owned by root, and the permission settings allow access only via the root account. That means you would have to first "root" the tablet to delete the files using a file manager app or a script.