Squareup App Compatibility

ender07

Feb 3, 2011
Hey I was looking into getting the Coby 7015 and I was wondering if it works with the Squareup app from the android market? I would need to accept credit cards and use the card reader, is this possible with this tablet? Thanks!

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
I've never used this before but I did install it and its a calc app right? It workes . All i did was enter and amount and it added the charges to the fees.

ender07

Feb 3, 2011
Actually its for accepting credit cards. It comes with a card reader you can plug in as well. Goto squareup.com to see the reader and whatnot, I was wondering because I wanted to use it on the tablet to accept credit cards when I am on-site doing work at clients' houses.

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
LOL i just saw this on the news today... i thought it was an app from the market... its the calc from them.. If you have WiFi i would guess it would work since they said it sends the infomation directly to the bank... I would be interested in something like this to for when i go to the fleamarkets ... It would be hard for someone to trust in paying this way but very cool product... I'll keep checking here to see if you get an answer....

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
I don't see why it wouldn't work provided the amount of power the card reader uses isn't much (which I would imagine it uses a lot). There are ways to install USB drivers for specific devices using a terminal emulator. But I'm almost certain the tablet wouldn't output enough power to run a credit card reader.

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
From What i saw it runs off the 3.5 jack... On the news after they pluged it into the jack they put in landscape mode and signed there name... I never used it so i dont know how this works... Ill be going to bed so i look it up more tomorrow...

ender07

Feb 3, 2011
From What i saw it runs off the 3.5 jack... On the news after they pluged it into the jack they put in landscape mode and signed there name... I never used it so i dont know how this works... Ill be going to bed so i look it up more tomorrow...

did you ever look into it more? can anyone see if it works by downloading it and running the application? I know you can key in the card number as well, I just want to know it works.

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
Ok i was looking into this service and its a good idea and something ill look into for this summer at the Flea-markets. But if you go to the Ansroid market online it tells you that its not compatible with this tablet. So if you have a phone it will work but not with the Coby according to the market. Sorry.

AlanF

Jan 18, 2011
I got the MID7015 with the hopes of using the Paynet app. for processing credit cards.
I tried the Paynet app from Appslib - It wouldn't install.
I contacted Paynet, they said "They have checked with the owner of the company who also checked with the developer. Though we are listed on Appslib, the version is not compatible. Access to the Android market is imperative with our service."

The square thing is really cool.

I think the best I'll be able to do is using the Intuit web app for CC processing.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Alan why not try installing the market? Or did they just say it wont work with the kyros period?

Sent from my MID7015

AlanF

Jan 18, 2011
I got all of the files and instructions to set up the market, I just have to do it.
It just kind of irks me off that I have to jump through hoops to get it to work and all they would have to do is upload the compatible version to the Appslib.
Based on that kind of customer service I probably wouldn't use them anyway.

Now, back to the Square question...

It would be nice to be able to use the swipe thingy, its faster and costs less than keying in the CC info.

Last edited:

StewNT

Mar 12, 2011
The key with Square is the headphone jack has to support a microphone. The app uses all the connectors that typical android and iphone hands-free headsets use.
The Kyros does NOT have all the connectors. It only supports stereo headphones.
Which begs the question:
Does anyone know of a tablet that DOES support iphone/android hands-free microphone/headphones? I will NOT be buying an ipad for my cafe but I would love an android tablet. I just got a pandigital black 7 however android 1.5 doesn't support square so I can't even test it.

brobox

Feb 23, 2011
The one major problem I see using the Kyros as a CC reader is the very weak wi-fi. Getting a signal at any distance is marginal, at best, with the 7015. If you are using it at a customers house would they give you there password to their router? I know I wouldn't.

If you are spending the money for a Mifi to get the 7015 to work wireless, then using a smartphone would be cheaper. JMO