Stopping auto-restart apps

Natey2

May 25, 2012
There are some apps under Android that like to auto-restart themselves, even after you manually terminate them using a task manager. (This would be unthinkable/unacceptable under Linux, i.e. you kill a process and it restarts itself!)
On rooted devices, I hear it is possible to tweak something related to that app to prevent the app from auto-restarting, starting on tablet boot, etc.
Anyone know what exactly to modify to prevent the above behavior?

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Most of those apps that appear in the task manager as running are not really running. They may have started and stopped but a little sleuthing has told me that they aren't really as they appear. Some, not that many really, need to run, like the mail apps and such but I haven't found 13-15 apps showing up there to be much different than 1 or 2. The memory management of Android is really very efficient but the apps for the most part lag behind in the way they behave.

Yes, if you are rooted you can put a permanent halt to some of them, with varying consequences/results, but it's not an area I have elected to go into.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
Very well stated leeshore. Android is so much different that Windows and iOS and everyone's mindset is geared to PCs. Android is very efficient and apps running in the back ground have very little effect on the overall performance of the device.

Natey2

May 25, 2012