Storage Question

Iam Dadguy

Aug 15, 2014
My tablet appears to only use about a gig of storage for apps when I have a 64 internal storage device. If I don't have an external sd card inserted the option to move to sd card is grayed out. My question is how to make use of the remaining large free storage space internally so I don't get the insufficient memory error since the 1 gig app storage is close to full.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
What tablet do you have that provides 64GB of internal storage but only 1GB of app space?

To do what you are asking would require someone to rewrite the firmware to change the partition sizes, as the apps have their own partition separate from the other partitions Android uses.

Iam Dadguy

Aug 15, 2014
Opps... I meant 16gb not 64, was thinking about a memory card I was looking at... sorry for the confusion...

It's a Chinese tablet, sold under the brand foneso that I bought on amazon.

Storage shows:
Total space- 0.98 GB
Apps- 743mb
Cached data-3.58mb
Total space- 11.47gb
Removable SD Total space available- 7.39gb

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
According to my Amazon search on Foneso tablets, with the exception of a 9" tablet sold by them, all of their tablets have 4GB of internal storage. That 4GB is not all accessible to the user. The bulk of the space is given over to the system and data storage, thus it doesn't surprise me that you only have about 1GB of space available.

Unfortunately, there's no realistic way to increase the amount of storage, short of purchasing a tablet with a larger amount. The MicroSD card won't help here, because the only purpose for that card is to store media, whether it be music, movies, or documents.

Iam Dadguy

Aug 15, 2014
According to my Amazon search on Foneso tablets, with the exception of a 9" tablet sold by them, all of their tablets have 4GB of internal storage. That 4GB is not all accessible to the user. The bulk of the space is given over to the system and data storage, thus it doesn't surprise me that you only have about 1GB of space available.

Unfortunately, there's no realistic way to increase the amount of storage, short of purchasing a tablet with a larger amount. The MicroSD card won't help here, because the only purpose for that card is to store media, whether it be music, movies, or documents.

Hi, thanks for responding. Just for clarification, the Foneso that I bought was listed as a June update with bluetooth and it did come with 16gb of storage, though all prior versions had 4gb as you stated. I just started experimenting and realized that not all programs, even those I downloaded were able to be moved to the storage indicated as "SD" which was an internal space of about 11.xx gb. I found this out by removing the 8gb card I had inserted. You are correct that I was unable to move anything to the external card, but my confusion was based on the fact that the system called the onboard storage space "sd" when I thought that meant removable. So all is well that ends well.