Strange Keyboard Issue

spud

Jan 20, 2011
Just started to have a strange keyboard issue start.
I am using the stock Android Keyboard and whenever I click on anywhere to type anything the keyboard pops up fine but no keyboard input works. I can click on any key but no text is generated and the blinking cursor doesn't move.
A reboot solves the problem for a while but not for long.
This has only started happening since the last 3.2.1 update but am not sure it's connected.
Anyone else having this happen or have any thoughts.
I should also add that I have cleaned the screen well so a dirty screen is not the cause.

Thanks

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Try downloading any of the free keyboards from the market.

(Actually, I recommend just buying Swiftkey because its totally awesome).

It could just be that the keyboard language pack has a problem (corrupted), and selecting any other
keyboard might fix it. I

spud

Jan 20, 2011
SwiftKey installed and seems to be working great -thanks.

Acer Support's fix was a factory reset which I didn't want to do and lose the installed apps and the work in setting it up the way I want.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
You can also try to to to Settings -> Manage applications -> All, look for "Android Keyboard" (or the one you use) and then click on "Clear data". It will affect only the keyboard, nothing else.

the_cyberix

Jan 5, 2013
You can also try to to to Settings -> Manage applications -> All, look for "Android Keyboard" (or the one you use) and then click on "Clear data". It will affect only the keyboard, nothing else.

My keyboard was going wild in portrait mode, but clearing the data fixed the problem. Thanks a lot!

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Another option in the settings screen is to clear the KB CACHE. After a few system upgrades, the cache gets a bit screwy. I had an annoying screen flicker when using the KB. After a CLEAR CACHE it has been very stable since. My daughter's has also stabilised after a clear cache.