streaming stutter (across apps)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Was watching some CNET TV podcasts and when the second one loaded, it did this stutter with the audio every few seconds.

I noticed the same sort of thing while watching tv.com app a few days ago.

Does anyone know why this happens...and more importantly how to fix it...other than reboot the NC. I did clear the cache for CNET TV but it didn't fix it.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Could be anything, maybe lack of resources. Android is a multi-tasking OS so perhaps you ran low on memory or had more cpu demand from another app in the background. With us using more and more widgets, our android devices run more and more apps at any given time. If you don't have Advanced Task Killer app already, you should get it to keep your resources to a maximum.

Setting-
Autokill level: crazy
Auto kill frequency: every half hour

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Not everyone agrees with you, and they make a good case why saying things like 'keeping your resources at a maximum' make little sense:

FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android
Rico and I debated...er, um, I mean discussed this last month. From watching the bitter arguments at droidforums.net, I've come to the conclusion that the question of using task killers tends to polarize Android owners into two groups.

We're a small enough community, and still pretty easy-going that I don't see the same divide happening here. Actually, one benefit we have is that 512MB of RAM, which will hopefully be fully utiliized with Froyo. So this thread may be the first indication that we're bumping into resource limitations with the Nook. But until we're able to figure out what's causing darmeen's video problems, I'm not 100% sure it's a resource issue. It'd be cool if we can try to isolate the cause, and in particular, tease apart wifi bandwidth vs. video playback issues.

-Matt

PS Another good thread on task management in Android is:

Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers. - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

spikey911

Dec 19, 2010
Well, real life is often different than theory and using a task killer is a must for me as well.

Freeing up resources always helps my stutter issues and unresponsive UI, and helps the emulators run nicely.

Maybe the OS is supposed to handle it, but it does not always do so effectively.