Supported downloads on android?

czre

Mar 3, 2013
I am looking to purchase a tablet, but I am hesitant because I know nothing about it. I wanted to know if android/ android 4.0 OS would allow me to download applications onto the drive? For example I use an external harddrive to store my documents music and movies. Will I be able to download programs to work spreadsheets, watch different video formats on VLC media player, will it support the use of my external harddrives, do they all use stylus'? Am I able to download anything from the internet and run and load it on the OS is my main question. Thank you for help in advance. Any references for the device im looking for would be appreciated but if you point me in the right direction I'll find it.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Android does allow you to download apps that will allow you to work with spreadsheets and media files. However, you're not able to download just anything from the net and have it run. In other words, you can't take a copy of Microsoft Office and install it to an Android tablet as the programming languages are radically different. In addition, external hard drives aren't well supported on Android tablets, if at all. Android tablets tend to rely on remote servers for added storage, using services like Dropbox.

czre

Mar 3, 2013
Android does allow you to download apps that will allow you to work with spreadsheets and media files. However, you're not able to download just anything from the net and have it run. In other words, you can't take a copy of Microsoft Office and install it to an Android tablet as the programming languages are radically different. In addition, external hard drives aren't well supported on Android tablets, if at all. Android tablets tend to rely on remote servers for added storage, using services like Dropbox.

Ok, so is there a tablet that can do this? Or will I be stuck setting up a cloud and transfering files to it with my slow internets?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Ok, so is there a tablet that can do this? Or will I be stuck setting up a cloud and transfering files to it with my slow internets?

I own an ASUS Transformer with the keyboard dock. It has been ablew to do all the things you mentioned including handle every external hard disk I've tried, (via the USN port on the dock). And there is a VLC player for Android. But as Traveler pointed out you will be limited to the apps that are Android compatible and will work on a tablet. Media and docs and such won't be a problem. If ytou need Windows programs then you may want to look at a Windows tablet.

czre

Mar 3, 2013
I own an ASUS Transformer with the keyboard dock. It has been ablew to do all the things you mentioned including handle every external hard disk I've tried, (via the USN port on the dock). And there is a VLC player for Android. But as Traveler pointed out you will be limited to the apps that are Android compatible and will work on a tablet. Media and docs and such won't be a problem. If ytou need Windows programs then you may want to look at a Windows tablet.

Thanks for the help guys, but i have ONE more question....I do not suppose there is any tablets that have ethernet ports? I generally do not like to use wi-fi, stick to hard-line.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
No, because an ethernet port would defeat the entire concept of the device being able to go anywhere. By the sounds of it, an ultrabook or laptop as desktop replacement is more suited to your needs than a tablet.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for the help guys, but i have ONE more question....I do not suppose there is any tablets that have ethernet ports? I generally do not like to use wi-fi, stick to hard-line.

No, but, there are several ways top use hardwired Ethernet. Sever USB Ethernet adapters work well if the tablet has an Ethernet port. As an alternative you can also use most portable nano routers to convert the local WiFi to hardwired Ethernet for additional security. Going back to what Traveler said Android tablets aren't for everyone so a netbook or possibly a Microsoft Surface Pro would be better for your needs.