Tablets\External Harddrives

vhosford

Nov 16, 2012
I am wondering what tablet would be best to purchase. I would like to be able to play movies off of a external harddrive without having to put them on my tablet. (is this possible). Other than that I would mostly just be using it for internet and a few games.

Thanks

vhosford

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum vhosford

I'm guessing you mean that you don't want to attach the drive by way of a USB port. In that case your choices are very limited. There are a few drives that are WiFi capable but very few and they are fairly expensive. If you have a computer or a NAS drive with the items stored there you can access it for streaming from just about any Android tablet, usually be using a file manager.

vhosford

Nov 16, 2012
Sorry I actually want to be able to hook external drive up to the tablet by way of usb. From there i would like to be albe to just read the external harddrive and pick what movie off of it i would like to watch. I dont want to have to store any on my tablet. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If your tablet has a USB port it should work just fine. NTFS or FAT32 formatted.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
The only issue could be if the USB drive consumes a lot of power and one USB port is not enough. Some USB drives have 2 USB ports required to make them work. If this is the case, it will take 2 USB ports on the tablet, which very few tablets have.

But, in general, most USB drives should work.