T-Mobile Pay As You Go + $1.49 Web Day Pass + Android T-Mobile My Account App = WIN

foobaz123

Nov 22, 2010
Soo.... we're saying my Tmobile pre-pay SIM (bought really only for data) just became a very light paperweight?

Are the AT&T prepay options any better or do they really bite as far as transfer limits/overages?

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
I am confused, did you get the sim at tmobile store? I got a phone at bb activated the phone and took out the sim. Used day pass today and texted and talked. As they say, dont tell if they dont ask lol.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

foobaz123

Nov 22, 2010
I am confused, did you get the sim at tmobile store? I got a phone at bb activated the phone and took out the sim. Used day pass today and texted and talked. As they say, dont tell if they dont ask lol.

Were you asking me? If so, yes I bought it at a tmobile store and they even knew exactly what it was going into. Didn't say a peep at the time. I admit i haven't tried to get a day pass since this thing started. I've just presumed I'm blocked just like everyone else.

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
I am going out in a few and will try it on the road. I know my ATT one will work for both but they charge $19. 99 for 100 Mb per month. I dont see the difference between this and the Samsung Intercept, my kids does apps all day on his mobile.

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
Well no luck, the option is still listed but so far buried that it is imposible to find and when you do you have burned thru $$$ on data. I wonder if you can do it when you on wifi.

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
There is a blog type discusion on this topic on the Tmobile website. Looks like this is a problem for all not just us. Tmobile is working on the issue, so they say.

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
Lol they are probably getting bombarded with complaints, now they are back tracking. Most likely all their pricing will change as a result.

Sent from my S7 to space & back

mochas7

Jan 11, 2011
Lol they are probably getting bombarded with complaints, now they are back tracking. Most likely all their pricing will change as a result.

Sent from my S7 to space & back

There is a blog type discusion on this topic on the Tmobile website. Looks like this is a problem for all not just us. Tmobile is working on the issue, so they say.

For (hopefully) everyone heading to that t-mobile forum/blog: This is the best point to be made on this topic -- The Huawei Ideos S7 device does NOT have 3G or 4G capabilities on T-Mobile in the USA.

The only available data option was EDGE, which is brutally slow, but we were willing to pay $1.49 a day for this very slow connection when needed.

It makes no sense for them to think that we would pay fast 3G or faster 4G prices for slow EDGE service.

Last edited:

ukisland

Jan 16, 2011
slightly off topic but related to the web day pass use, and you guys seem to know what your talking about.

could a pre paid t-mobile sim be used in an unlocked huawei e585 mifi device?
I intend to use the device for mobile internet in various countries and this day pass would be perfect.

Short answer is yes. Just did this by buying a SIM at a tmobile store and adding $10 to it. Dropped it directly into my 585 and connected via my Archos101. I was directed immediately to the prepay store and purchased a daypass which was deducted correcly. I then jumped over here to sign up and post my success. Oh and my iphone is connected and browsing as well. 2G of course but fine for my needs. LOVE the 585!

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
Well I for one am sold on att. A little bit of a pain in the neck to set up but much faster. Does anyone know what the h is? It is where the edge use to be.

paulwayne

Feb 20, 2011
Dear Buzzman, Hi....What 3g USB modem do you use for your MID tablet? Could you please provide me the make, model, and specs for the 3g modem that supports Android 2.1 OS and is compatible with the USA frequencies? Where did you purchase your 3g USB modem for our Anroid tablet? Thanks, paulwayne

Jun 8, 2011
I guess I have been extremely fortunate. I purchased an unlocked Huawei E-220 usb broadband dongle off eBay to use with my little tablet. Although when I connect, I receive an initial message when I open my browser that my T-Mobile data plan is not compatible with my device, once I click on the "My Account" link at the bottom of the page, I see the details of my prepaid account on the following page, and at the bottom of the account info. I am offered the option to purchase the $1.49 Day Pass. It was a fluke that I discovered this. Once I saw the original message that my device was incompatible with my data plan, I wanted to find out if I could get a refund for the money I had already invested in the prepaid plan. (It was just purchased for the little dongle. I had no other need of it.) Thankfully, there was no need for a refund.

Once I clicked on the web day pass, it allowed me to purchase it. I can access any site that T-Mobile does not filter (They tell you on the web2go site that sites about controversial subjects like murder, abortion, etc may be blocked by their filters through their mobile broadband service. I am not really interested in any of these so it is not of any consequence to me that I cannot access them via the web pass) The $1.49 for the web pass is deducted from my prepaid balance so I do not even need to use a credit card on the site. I can either buy a refill card and add it to my account or use a credit card. (Additional info: I am using a T-Mobile Prepaid 3G SIM (with voice and data) that was also purchased off eBay, and activated using T-Mobile's online activation process (Basically just giving T-Mobile my personal info and the IMEI of the dongle and the activation code for the SIM card.) A nice added surprise is that the SIM also works on my unlocked, jailbroken iPhone 3G (although I don't normally use this SIM for that...it will be nice to have a "back-up" SIM...just in case). Both devices only run at EDGE speeds with this SIM, but as I have an internet connection at home, it is perfect for those infrequent times I need mobile broadband. The only info that I changed for the dongle on Huawei's Mobile Partner is the APN. I used wap.voicestream.com (static) as the APN (I saw a post somewhere that said this was the appropriate APN for any non-T-Mobile branded device. My dongle was originally branded for use with Virgin Broadband before being unlocked.) The access number I used is *99# and the user name and password fields are left blank. I left all the other settings on "dynamic" and did not add any further info. It is working great for me.

Hopefully my experience can help someone else utilize T-Mobile's $1.49 web day pass. Thank you to all the awesome people here. Although this is my first post, I have read many things here that have really enhanced my ability to enjoy my tablet, and I greatly appreciate all of you who share your knowledge and experience here!

Last edited: