T103 Update... help?

geekgirl70

Dec 28, 2010
I tried to install the firmware update on my Tablet today, but could not get the device to see the update zip.

I followed the instructions on the Velocity Micro site, and even tried using the button combo for the Reader (which caused my Tablet not to power on, until I hit the 'reset' button). I also tried the update tool, but I got an error that it could not open the archive.

I double checked to make sure the update.zip was on the SD card, that I could open the archive (no, I didn't extract it), and that it wasn't write protected or something... I'm clueless on this one.

Any ideas?

brett8187

Jan 10, 2011
I got nothin. All I did was run the update tool with only update.zip on the sd card, can you show some screen shots from your computer?

orlandotek

Jan 11, 2011
You want to be sure that you can read thw file from the card on the device before you begin.

Basically, I coped the file onto the card from my PC, then I inserted the card
into the device, then turned on the device and made sure I could read the filename.
Then I hit yje reset button, let go and quickly presses thw volume + button and held
It down until the CRUZ logo appeared. And that was all there was to it.

If you still need help let us know.

geekgirl70

Dec 28, 2010
Maybe I need to clear the card from everything EXCEPT the update.zip file?? =/ Maybe?? I dunno, I'm gonna try it.

geekgirl70

Dec 28, 2010
Tried clearing the card of everything except update.zip, still no worky.

When I try to run the Cruz Update Utility, the application window opens, but I get an error message that 'choice.exe', in a temp directory, is not a valid Win32 application. Then, the Utility window shows 'access denied', something about a daemon stopping and starting, and then the application closes. That's all I get.

Anyone know whether I'm supposed to 'mount' the device after I plug it in? Or just leave it unmounted? I've tried both ways, doesn't seem to help.

brett8187

Jan 10, 2011
Did you install the USB driver from the velocity website?

If so, have you tried doing the update from a different computer? Sounds like a computer issue and not the tablet

geekgirl70

Dec 28, 2010
Unfortunately, I discovered why my device cannot be updated.

I spoke with Velocity today (after being on hold for around 2hrs). As it turns out, my device has a 'rare' (so they say), hardware failure.

The way to detect this, is to look under device manager, under 'Disk Drives' (after installing the driver, of course). My Cruz is listed as <NULL> <NULL> USB Device. This means that there is a hardware failure, preventing it from being seen by applications on my computer.

I can access the SDcard through my Tablet, when it is tethered to my computer, just as I should be able to... but I guess it can't be accessed the other way.

I'm going to have to return the Tablet to Velocity, and they will replace it... but that means I have to be without the Tablet during the shipping process. :( Oh well.

Anyway, if anyone else runs into that issue, that's what is going on. *grump*

tlspencer

Dec 30, 2010
Wow... well at least you know what is wrong and they are going to take care of it! It's good to know they seem to have decent support and stand behind the product.

I did the update for mine a couple nights ago after getting a new SD card to use for it, and it went smoothly. I was mad at myself for forgetting to back up a couple apps as it says it reformats it back to original, but doesn't remove anything from the SD cards... so I assumed EVERYTHING was gone... however when I reinstalled Laputa, I found out that while the reader itself installs to the internal drive, the BOOKS are on the internal SD card, so all I had to do was replace them onto my shelf from the reader.

jaxparo

Jan 16, 2011
The way to detect this, is to look under device manager, under 'Disk Drives' (after installing the driver, of course). My Cruz is listed as <NULL> <NULL> USB Device.

How do I do this? I see no "device manager" and what "driver" needs installing and how would I do this? I see no drivers listed under downloads? Specific instructions would be necessary, I'm almost 100% ignorant on how to do this. I do know that the instructions for updating the firmware don't work at all on my T103, and I suspect I have the same issue you had.

shavala

Jan 16, 2011
Geekgirl,
I have the exact same specific symptoms that you experience. I think some perverse person at the factory took about 10% of the T103's and made them unable to do the easy reboot method. I have spent weeks pressing that stupid +volume button and reset. I, like you tried every possible key combination in the world, results= nada, zip, zero...I tried the computer method on 2 different computers, an XP and a Windows 7 premium...again nada, zip, zero...In this time, i used it just fine with some issues, but have generally been pretty happy and impressed with it mostly. I was like, what the heck are all these people talking about, "just do the reboot method, easy as pie...". Its a conspiracy....

Well, it finally worked for me tonight on my Windows 7 system (which is nothing like the cruz website says it will do...). This is what I tried. I reset the tablet, while power cord and USB cord plugged in, back to factory Settings. It erased all added programs.

The reset is under settings, select Privacy the select the one option available, "Factory Data reset"

My hardware manager picked up the android interface and the "null<> USB crap" changed to "disc drive". i then ran the Update utility and my cruz went to the screen that everyone but you, me and a few other "going out of their minds" people saw. At first it did not recognize the zip file. The utility pauses for you to say it updated or not. At that point, i went into astro and went to look at the file. The update.zip was there. I pressed the edit key to rename and it was called update.zip.zip.... (no this was not the problem those bizzillion other times as i tried renaming it over and over and...). I got rid of the extra zip on the file name, hit NO on the utility on my computer and it tried rebooting again.. and it worked. So, maybe this will work for you or someone else. Good luck.

Shavala

Last edited:

bigpaparn

Jan 10, 2011
" As it turns out, my device has a 'rare' (so they say), hardware failure"..

in other words..they don't know..the bastards:)

shavala

Jan 16, 2011
Thank you so much, your instructions worked great!

You are very welcome, bet you thought you were going slowly crazy while everyone around just says "just do a reset with the volume button, works for me..."!!

i've had my tablet since the beginning of December. It works great.

I'm glad someone was able to use this pretty easy update method.

Shavala