Tablet as mass storage to HDTV mediator

safren

Oct 17, 2012
Hi,

I used to have a Windows laptop which I connected a WD mass strorage HD to via USB port and to my HDTV via laptop VGA port. Since I no longer have the laptop I thought it would be a good time to buy a tablet PC to do the same work (There are other solutions e.g streamer but if I'm spending money I'd rather have the added value of the tablet PC).
Reading around made me think this solution may be troublesome:
1. Not all tablets have HDMI output e.g. samsung galaxy tab 2 (The TV has plenty of input types including HDMI)?
2. Not all tablets support USB otg (on-the-go) which I understand is required for connecting the HD. I read ASUS tablet does not and the reason has to do with the Android ICS version which does not support this anymore...
3. NTFS not supported by Android? This is least concern since I can format my drvie to FAT32.

What I would like to know if there is some tablet that answers my above needs. Also I would like the tablet to be: mainstream brand, not very expensive and 10".

Thank you.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

1. Not all tablets have HDMI output e.g. samsung galaxy tab 2 (The TV has plenty of input types including HDMI)?

That's true but most do including the ASUS tablets.

2. Not all tablets support USB otg (on-the-go) which I understand is required for connecting the HD. I read ASUS tablet does not and the reason has to do with the Android ICS version which does not support this anymore...

Not true as far as I know. 2 of the main ASUS tablets are on Jelly Bean and the third, the TF101 is about to get it and I have not heard or seen an issue yet.

3. NTFS not supported by Android? This is least concern since I can format my drvie to FAT32.

Absolutely not the case on the ASUS tablets. Most, but not all other Android tablets support NTFS.