Tablet for Travelling - Suggestions?

zgendron

Nov 21, 2010
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, but have been browsing for the last 2+ weeks. I ended up here while searching for information on the Sylvania 7". Sounds promising for the price.

I'm looking for a tablet solution specific for my needs, and hoping you guys can make some recommendations. I'll be travelling overseas for about 2 weeks, and I'm looking for a tablet that can do the following:

MUST HAVE:
  • 7" or 10" - Not sure on size
  • Wifi - Good for Surfing Net (Email, Google Maps, etc)
  • Play movies - Long plane ride!
  • External Memory (Micro SD?) - Allows for more movies.
  • Audio Out - Use headphones on the plane.
  • Decent Battery Life - Long plane ride
  • Able to use Google Voice - Free phone calls while away (willing to hack)
  • Has Mic - See above

Nice to Have
  • GPS
  • Camera
  • Play Flash
  • Light weight for travel

Don't need
  • Phone
  • 3G Access
  • Sim Card
I'm on Verizon, so no SIM card or international calling for me.

In terms of price, I'm hesitant to spend more than $300. I know this device will be outdated early next year (O/S and such). So I don't want to spend all that much on something I'll probably replace in a year. I'm not looking for a powerhouse either. Just something that'll play movies smoothly and last for 5-6 hours. Maybe a tablet isn't the best way to go either. If you think something else would be better, I'm all ears!

Finally, I need this before Christmas.

I've been looking at the Archos, but fear they won't be available in time. There seem to be some decent Chinese options, but I have no experience with them either.

Thanks Everyone!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
So for most of your required specs any tablet would work. The only issue is battery life so that is what i would use to make my decision if i were you. And i think tablet is your best choice if you like android because even a netbook doesnt have much battery life. Check out Euogo.com: Best Deals on Android Tablet,Tablet PC,Smartphones,Apple Accessories,Cool Gadgets & more from Hong Kong China they have some great tablets and any tablet can be hacked to make calls with google voice so no worries about that.

zgendron

Nov 21, 2010
Thanks for the quick response! Should I be concerned with CPU Speed or RAM for video playback at all?

Based on what I've been reading, looks like I should aim for a Android 2.2 system, but do you think this is required?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
if you want to play flash videos while online then yes you need 2.2 but if you just want to play videos off an sd card then 2.1 will work and if you install rock player you can play avi's with out a problem. But if you buy something super cheap you will have a problem playing videos so like 190 should be the cheapest you look at just to be safe

fishy

Aug 2, 2010
Zgendron,

I have the Huwei and it plays videos great. It is a snapdragon at 768? or something around that speed. It has most of your requirements except long battery life. I plan to play Avatar today on a full charge and see exactly what time I get. I played about 20 minutes of Avatar and ID4 on it yesterday and absoulutely great playback on both at 720 with the free version of rockplayer. It also looks like there may be replacement batteries available soon. This tablet is also a good size for the airplane.

This will fulfill my needs till the next gen comes out. Really want to choose between Android, BB and WebOs tablets and see which one will be a long term solution.

Good luck!!!

zgendron

Nov 21, 2010
Thanks Fishy,

Battery life is somewhat important since I'll be on a long flight. I appreciate the feedback though! Good information.

fishy

Aug 2, 2010
Thanks Fishy,

Battery life is somewhat important since I'll be on a long flight. I appreciate the feedback though! Good information.

Yeah, most of mine are 3hrs at most. Either to left or right coast every freakin week. I am at home and hoping I don't get a call later on. Oh well enough belly aching. :)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
If you get a Galaxy Tab, it wont be outdated next year. It is like the Nexus One of Android tablets, and defines next gen.

With your requirements, I'd try and get a deal on a netbook with a 6 cell battery. Specifically I'd find something with AMD, Intel GMA500, or Broadcom CrystalHD because these solution offload video processing.

You'll be hard-pressed to find any tablet on the market that does 5-6 hours.

ufxss

Nov 16, 2010
Check the Cruz Tablet at Best Buy, ( $249.99 on sale) I use it for traveling, mainly as an Ereader ( Kindle and Borders) and to watch videos....Battery is pretty good...
It is not an Ipad or even a full tablet, but you get the basics..Good video ( in plays avi also), web access, facebook, twitter etc. it can be charged by the USB and it has a capacitive touch screen which is a big plus vs other units.
No 3g,only WIFI. It is not upgradable to 2.2, so no Flash. But you can access some videos through Skyfire web app. No access to Android Amrket, but you can get a los of apps from pther sites.

If you want to spend more $ for a better unit go fot the Galaxy ir Ipad...If you want basic functionallity this is a good option

hoben02

Nov 10, 2010
my two cents stay away from the sylvania or any other flash in the pan company that decided to put out an android tablet unless you don't mind NOT upgrading this market reminds me too much of the pda market when there were all these new products that after the market collapsed.