Tablet w/Atom N450

KBTech

Oct 11, 2010
Hey guys, I am looking to purchase a generic tablet that has Intel Atom N450 chipset and will come with either Win CE/XP/7. Actually my goal is to have an Android tablet, but since I will be buying a tablet shortly, I figured might as well get one with good specs, so eventually I can run Android 3.0 whenever it comes out. Well, my basic question is if the tablet already comes loaded with Win, can I "reformat" the tablet later on and install Android 3.0 on there?? Also, are there any tests I can run on the tablet to make sure it is up to the advertised specs so I don't get cheated?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
On a related note, I just picked up the Asus T91MT = 8.9" resistive touchscreen, hybrid tablet-PC, Win7 with multitouch. It runs the Atom Z520. It was on sale at woot.com last week, but here is the newegg listing:

Newegg.com - ASUS Eee PC T91MT-PU17-BK Tablet PC Intel Atom Z520(1.33GHz) 8.9" Wide SVGA 1GB Memory 32GB SSD HDD Intel GMA 500

I like your idea to start with a good tablet. Unfortunately, the plan to switch from Win (or Linux) to Android may not work out. ATM, the only option available is to run Android 1.6 Donut. I wouldn't count on 2.1, 2.2, or 3.0 getting ported for x86 machines anytime in the foreseeable future.

Run Android on Your Netbook or Desktop - How-To Geek
Download - Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86

EDIT: looks like there was a brief hint in June that Intel was working on porting 2.2. But did the trail go cold?
Intel Readying x86 Android 2.2 Port | Android Phone Fans

-Matt

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
ATM, the only option available is to run Android 1.6 Donut. I wouldn't count on 2.1, 2.2, or 3.0 getting ported for x86 machines anytime in the foreseeable future.

Run Android on Your Netbook or Desktop - How-To Geek
Download - Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86

EDIT: looks like there was a brief hint in June that Intel was working on porting 2.2. But did the trail go cold?
Intel Readying x86 Android 2.2 Port | Android Phone Fans

-Matt

You beat me to the punch. I was looking back in July/August on the various boards for Android for x86. I wanted to do the same thing. Get a Triple boot unit. Ubuntu/W7/Android. Unfortunately....
Nothing in recent development. It may start up again with Gingerbread or Honeycomb. The one thing I kept seeing back in July/August was screen and compatibility issues for x86. But now I realize, the porting of a Phone OS into a Tablet is a maturing process. It will happen. But I was too bleeding edge.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
But now I realize, the porting of a Phone OS into a Tablet is a maturing process. It will happen. But I was too bleeding edge.
I dunno...I've run 1.6 on my Asus 1000HA, and other than no WiFi (ethernet works perfectly) it's pretty much the Android Experience. Of course it's DONUT, not FROYO!!! ;) But it does work.

BTW, did you mean "I" or "it" was "too bleeding edge"? :p

-Matt