TabletConnect's Official Review: Nook Color as an Android Tablet

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
Conclusion
Overall, the Nook Color as a standalone Android tablet performed very well and comparable to the Archos 70. At a great price of $250, the Nook Color is an excellent value. It was disappointing that the Nook could not process our HD videos. This may be a limitation to this specific unit. Unfortunately, we could not install another video player to determine with the Nook can play HD videos. However like most things, you do get what you pay for. The Nook Color (assuming you can root & install the CM7 custom ROM) is a good BASIC tablet. There are more powerful tablets on the market that also run Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) which is optimized for tablets. Of course, you will pay double the price. Consumers will need to decide if they want a decent Android tablet for a reasonable price or if they want a tablet that is more powerful at a higher cost. With Archos introducing its next generation Android tablet, the 80 would cost $30 more than a Nook but pack a dual core processor, Android 3.1, front facing camera, HDMI port, & much more. ViewSonic is launching (if it has not already) its ViewBook that is $230 with comparable specs to the Nook Color. Decisions, decisions.

For the full review, check our blog.

Comments (both positive and negative) are always welcomed.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Nice review, seemed fair and thorough. I'm still waiting for that new logo, or did you change your mind about that? :)

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
You call the Nook Color a good BASIC (capped and bolded, like you did...) tablet, yet you couldn't even get it to play an HD video? Are you even remotely technically competent? Doesn't sound like it, so I question your ability to provide a complete and thorough review of this device. So thanks for coming to one of the most experienced and knowledgeable Nook Color user groups that I've found anywhere on the web and trying to educate us on this BASIC tablet..

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
@RaNenJ Mike has been here before and he knows our reputation. My interpretation of his post was, because of our experience and knowledge with the Nook, he wanted us to review his article about the NC for accuracy etc. I'm assuming the article is intended for for all those "What tablet should I buy?" folks. Not for people who already have a Nook and lots of experience with it. From that point of view, what did you think of his article?

tumpy

Dec 15, 2010
nook the ereader that think its a tablet... it is a wolf in sheep clothing but you cannot tell the owners that...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
nook the ereader that think its a tablet when stock... rooted it is a wolf in sheep clothing but the owners already know that...

I fixed it for you :D The Nook Color ereader is most certainly a fully functional tablet once you root it.

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
You call the Nook Color a good BASIC (capped and bolded, like you did...) tablet, yet you couldn't even get it to play an HD video? Are you even remotely technically competent? Doesn't sound like it, so I question your ability to provide a complete and thorough review of this device. So thanks for coming to one of the most experienced and knowledgeable Nook Color user groups that I've found anywhere on the web and trying to educate us on this BASIC tablet..

I assume you have played true HD videos on your Nook Color using the stock video player? Please provide details on the format of your videos. I am not talking Youtube videos either but actual video or movie files. I use specific test videos that are used on all tablets that I test. Just to give you some information on how I conduct the tests. All video tests are done on stock player. I use 3 different HD videos recorded in 3 different formats (MOV, AVI & MP4). As you may or may not know, the Nook Color does not support AVI or MOV so that leaves MP4 (again using stock video player). Also it is my understanding (and feel free to prove me wrong) that the Nook supports MP4 up to 854x480. My HD MP4 video has a resolution of 1280x720. This would explain why the Nook couldn't play the HD MP4 video. Now, 1280x720 to me is HD at a minimum. 854x480 is more of a DVD quality. So please let me know if all my facts are incorrect.

Thanks, Spider. You hit it on the nose. The review was intended for the average consumer and not the technically advanced. In addition, I post reviews here since many average consumers come to AndroidTablets to get information.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
The folks at my local Best Buy have an all new attitude about the nook. I took mine in looking for a new case and showed it to one of the guys in the tablet sales area. Within 5 minutes, I had 5 employees checking it out. They could not believe it was out performing several of their HC tablets. Most of the sales personnel are not well versed in the abilities of the equipment they sell outside of the basics they are told about by the managers.
I decided against a galaxy tab 10.1 and the acer iconia based on what I was able to do with the nook. It will take an exceptional tablet to get me to upgrade. Just saying.....

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Nook color, the android tablet that thinks it's an ereader. It's a wolf that hiding under a sheep skin, managed to eat all the other tablets so far.....it did even bite the ipad ass! But don't tell tumpy that or he is going to start running for his elocity's life.
gloria
Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I assume you have played true HD videos on your Nook Color using the stock video player? Please provide details on the format of your videos. I am not talking Youtube videos either but actual video or movie files. I use specific test videos that are used on all tablets that I test. Just to give you some information on how I conduct the tests. All video tests are done on stock player. I use 3 different HD videos recorded in 3 different formats (MOV, AVI & MP4). As you may or may not know, the Nook Color does not support AVI or MOV so that leaves MP4 (again using stock video player). Also it is my understanding (and feel free to prove me wrong) that the Nook supports MP4 up to 854x480. My HD MP4 video has a resolution of 1280x720. This would explain why the Nook couldn't play the HD MP4 video. Now, 1280x720 to me is HD at a minimum. 854x480 is more of a DVD quality. So please let me know if all my facts are incorrect.

Thanks, Spider. You hit it on the nose. The review was intended for the average consumer and not the technically advanced. In addition, I post reviews here since many average consumers come to AndroidTablets to get information.

Using the stock player? No, absolutely not. Using a player that actually has some decent features and support for more than one or two formats? Certainly. I have a huge HD rip of the Avatar BR, it's something like 6gb, and it plays beautifully. It takes half my mSD card, but it's beautiful to look at. I fail to see why you would limit a review of a rooted Nook Color to anything stock. Install the proper software and run it WFO..

chris30673

Feb 4, 2011

I can't imagine the "average consumer" running CM7 on their nook. It almost sounds like you should do two different reviews, one for the stock nook and one running CM7 or whatever rom you using. It that case, if you review it running CM7, why wouldn't install the programs to get the most out of the nook, ie, installing video players capable of running all the different formats?

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I have a question for Tablet Connect but first a little bit of history.
I believe the nook color was released around November 2010.
I remember reading all the reviews long before its release and again as soon as it was out in the stores and then again when the developers found the way to root it and more talking around April in occasion of the big update, with flash and apps from B&N store.
Now, Tablet Connect, this is my question: - don' t you think you are a little late with your review? Everything has been said already about the nook color and most of what has been written, was positive .Now is the time to review all this new tablets that all the companies are releasing in the next few months, the nook color got already all the review it could ask for and it's not asking for more.The nook color is busy entertaining millions of people around the world who proudly owns it.
gloria

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
I can't imagine the "average consumer" running CM7 on their nook. It almost sounds like you should do two different reviews, one for the stock nook and one running CM7 or whatever rom you using. It that case, if you review it running CM7, why wouldn't install the programs to get the most out of the nook, ie, installing video players capable of running all the different formats?

Good point chris

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I have a question for Tablet Connect but first a little bit of history.
I believe the nook color was released around November 2010.
I remember reading all the reviews long before its release and again as soon as it was out in the stores and then again when the developers found the way to root it and more talking around April in occasion of the big update, with flash and apps from B&N store.
Now, Tablet Connect, this is my question: - don' t you think you are a little late with your review? Everything has been said already about the nook color and most of what has been written, was positive .Now is the time to review all this new tablets that all the companies are releasing in the next few months, the nook color got already all the review it could ask for and it's not asking for more.The nook color is busy entertaining millions of people around the world who proudly owns it.
gloria

This was kind of my point. Gloria managed to say it without sounding so offended at the arrogance displayed by the reviewer though..