Teathering with my DROID X via Wireless Tether app with my Huwaei S7 tablet?

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Hey guys I have a Droid X "rooted" and i have the wireless tether app installed and I can tether share wifi with my wifes iPad, my macbook, my Dell laptop, my wifes droid but for some reason i can't connect my Huwaei S7 tablet. When i go to settings>wireless & networks>Wif-Fi settings, for some reason it does not find my Droid x broadcasting so i can connect to it..... even if my droid x is right next to it... Anyone know a work around so i can use my Droid x to supply wifi for my tablet? Thank you.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
It took fiddling, but it does work. Try initially doing it with no encryption.

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
I tried disabling encryption, and pressed menu under wifi settings on the tablet and hit scan, but still won't find my DroidX in the air...... it's like as if it's not broadcasting or something... Even if i enter the SSID manually it will just say it's not in range... Any other things i can try?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Just to check, can anything else see your Droid X? Lets make sure it is really broadcasting. I know you listed those other devices, but lets make it is still working. Also, if you are using the Verizon wifi tether I believe you have a 4 device limit which you are at.

Last edited:

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Yeah all those devices can see the droid x broad casting in the air. I just literally did the "forget network" option on my wifi's ipad and went under settings and i was able to find the DroidX SSID and able to connect to it again... I'm only connecting one device out a time. Also i'm not using Verizions built in wifi hot spot it's the Wireless Tether app you can download from the market that works if you are rooted.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Try manually adding the SSID. Settings->WiFi Settings->Add WiFi network and manually enter the SSID. also, I have to ask, is WFi tturned on on your tablet?

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
I already tried to add it manually, but it will just say it's not in range..... Yes wifi is already turned on i can connect with it to my home wifi router just fine with it.. just weird how this is the only device i can't connect.. for some reason the tablet is just not seeing the DROID X broad casting not sure why.. i've tried everything possible....

daz

Dec 13, 2010
you have to replace the wpa_supplicant file in system/bin. look under the tips and tricks sticky, there is a link to the new file and walkthrough of how to replace it. i had to install busybox from the market before i could replace the original file

Sent from my S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
you have to replace the wpa_supplicant file in system/bin. look under the tips and tricks sticky, there is a link to the new file and walkthrough of how to replace it. i had to install busybox from the market before i could replace the original file

Excellent thanks I'll try it tomorrow morning ;)

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

chuck3d

Dec 7, 2010
Just curious, are you guys going through all of this to get wifi for free from your phones? Or do you still have to purchase the tethering plan from Att for the additional $20.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Chuck - Theoretically if you have certain droid phones on Verizon that have been rooted and flashed to 2.2, then theoretically it is possible to get an application that might allow you to bypass the pay plan they have and tether your WiFi for free. Of course since this would void your warranty and is technically not allowed by Verizon I am not saying that this is what people are talking about. Or that if you theoretically looked into flashing your phone and adding a theoretical application from a place like xda-developers.com or unrevokedforever.com that might possibly be the end result.

I would never suggest such a thing.........

daz

Dec 13, 2010
Chuck - Theoretically if you have certain droid phones on Verizon that have been rooted and flashed to 2.2, then theoretically it is possible to get an application that might allow you to bypass the pay plan they have and tether your WiFi for free. Of course since this would void your warranty and is technically not allowed by Verizon I am not saying that this is what people are talking about. Or that if you theoretically looked into flashing your phone and adding a theoretical application from a place like xda-developers.com or unrevokedforever.com that might possibly be the end result.

I would never suggest such a thing.........

theoretically you dont need a droid phone from verizon. a lowly backflip on att could suffice

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010

I can confirm that this works with the X. Here is the link
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/huawei-tablets/2290-huawei-s7-useful-tweaks-tips-6.html
It is on post #53.

After getting this on the Idoes I was able to use Wireless Tether without a problem with my Idoes. It is great to jump on during the day while I am at work. Sometimes I like a little bigger screen than the X.