tethering and external memory drives on A70

redname

Nov 29, 2010
Hi,
I've been trying to connect my A70 to my HTC Hero for internet tethering but it just doesn't work.

I've tried the following methods

1. USB
2. Bluetooth
3. wireless tethering (android wifi tethering)

num 1 doesn't detect my phone at all, num 2 can be paired as through BT but can't tether and for num 3, my A70 can't detect my HTC Hero as a hotspot, it can detect all others ard it but just not my HTC Hero.

I have another issue with connecting my thumbdrive and external card reader through the micro USB port.

I have a host adapter bought through ebay and i tried connecting my thumbdrive and card reader but there's no reaction from the A70 at all. my card reader has a LED light to indicate whether there's power and it was lit up when connected but the A70 just doesn't read it.

I've tried another way which is to connect a external HDD whcih i used a Y-cable and connected the other end to a power source to ensure there's enough power but again the A70 doesn't pickup anything.

I'm really getting frustrated with these issues cause these 2 features were the selling point to me when i bought the A70 and now i can't use it.

Appreciate if someone can shed some light on this.

thanks

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I was starting to reply when I remembered the A70 does not have the full size USB port like on my A101. I do know all USB host cables are not created equally. I think it is the Host Cable. I do know there have been USB connection problems, but that was firmware related. In those instances the USB port does not work at all. As a USB host or straight USB connection to the PC. If you can connect your A70 to a PC, then Mount it from the A70 screen and the drive is available on the PC, it is likely an incompatible USB Host cable.

On the tethering issue, this is a variable. Some phones simply do not work. Some connect only by USB tethering. But most connect either by BT PAN or BT DUN connections. I followed the instructions on the Archos site under the online manual for tethering and pairing. My 101 connected via BT DUN. But it would not connect via PAN. I would suggest checking to see if your Phone is on the compatible list. Do a Google search for Archos 70 Bluetooth +Hero tether It should provide insight

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
These are the steps I used to tether:
Please note I have the Droid2Global

1: Turn on bluetooth on both your Archos and your Droid, then make devices discoverable so you can pair them together.
2: Once you click to pair, it will give you a popup with a "number" on both your Archos and your Droid.
If the number is the same on both devices, click "Pair" on both.
3: Under Bluetooth menu it should say "Paired but not connected"
4: Go to Archos, Settings > Wireless & networks > Cell phone tethering
5: Click "Tether" to "check the box, now a wizard should appear "This wizard will help you to configure the tethering."
6: Click Bluetooth, now if bluetooth is on on both your Archos and your Droid, and you've already paired them, it should pop up (as whatever your Droid is called).
7: Select your Droid's device name
8: Select PAN tethering (not sure what they mean but DUN is more like a modem, while PAN seems its like more like real-time data sharing, so select PAN, you need a number, name and password for DUN)
9: "Tethering is configured. Change these values with a long click on the item list or add a new profile through the menu." Click Next
10: Now Check the "Tether" box. (Please wait while connecting.... appears)

Now you're connected!

Just in case, are you rooted on your Hero and using Wireless Tether? Wireless Tether now has a "Bluetooth" tethering option that may allow it to work better.

kostas111

Jan 13, 2011
Hello all,
This is my first post! My question is :
I have "archos 70 8GB" but I can not make the connection (teathering) with my mobile phone, via bluetooth (xperia mini pro with android 2.1).
I've followed the procedure, that is 1.pair the two devices: paired but not connected and 2.go to: Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Cell Phone tethering -> Bluetooth
I cannot find my cell phone!

Thanks ....

jbinner

Jan 13, 2011
Same Issues here, A70it will not tether to my Samsung Moment. I have tried wifi; A70 doesnt even see the Wifi. Tried bluetooth, it WILL pair, but stays disconnected and does not show in the "available devices" screen under the tethering wizard.

Tried numerous tethering apps, M900 tether, wireless tether, etc, all from market for root phones. NONE will see the phone to connect.

I CAN connect to a Verizon MiFi without ANY problems at all, but I'd really like to have this working for my cell so I can carry ONLY the phone and A70.

Jacko316

Jan 15, 2011
I am too having this issue with the tethering. I have iPhone 3GS with Optus (inc. mobile data pack - not jailbroken). They pair fine, and can tether to the device, but only once per boot and only for 3secs before it drops out. It will NOT attempt connection again until reboot. It will just tick and untick the box with no result. In the power bar widget, the icon is lit (only dull) and cannot be removed. WTF? I have had 2 previous tablets and moved to this one for the easy? tethering. Have had it working only twice and both times I exited the menus early to interrupt the process and had to do the force close or wait scenario.

Tips?

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
Yea, I sometimes have issues with my tethering too. It works for a while, but I've noticed if I leave it alone, tethering stops working and I have to reboot for it to work again.

As for wifi, Android is known for not supporting connecting to ad-hoc networks. Default builds of Android support infrastructure mode, but only if your chip supports it (for example, moto droid doesn't, but droid2 and droid x do), and only tmobile has yet to charge for that function (at least on the tmobile g2).

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Android Tablet Forum App