Tethering the NC to iPhone 4?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
i currently use a Verizon MiFi to get access to the internet when i am up and about. It works very well for me - but now that my wife has her own rooted NC, looking for a cheaper way for her to get access as well - she has an iphone 4 - wondering if anyone has successfully tethered a NC to an iphone 4?

ScarletBeagle

Dec 23, 2010
I was able to tether to my 3GS using MyWi and the instructions at this post...it's straightforward and won't take more than 5 minutes. I don't know if there's any difference with tethering to the iPhone 4 tho.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I was able to tether to my 3GS using MyWi and the instructions at this post...it's straightforward and won't take more than 5 minutes. I don't know if there's any difference with tethering to the iPhone 4 tho.

Well hell...there you go. Great find ScarletBeagle, this looks like exactly what Anima was asking about.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
MyWi requires jaibreak - now i gotta talk my wife into letting me jailbreak her phone :)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Well hell...there you go. Great find ScarletBeagle, this looks like exactly what Anima was asking about.
There may be a catch (be sure to read all 14 PAGES of that thread!)...when I tried the adhoc fix--and it worked brilliantly--the trade-off is that sometimes wifi didn't turn back on after sleeping. In my case, I had to manually toggle it on and off. I decided to wait for a better fix...what showed up was another toggle that switches between infrastructure and adhoc. It's not pretty, but it works. I'd love a one-size-fits-all solution with no manual toggles, but maybe that is not quite ready...

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I turn my wifi off before I let it go to sleep anyway...as I am one of those plagued with the reboot while in sleep mode, and turning off the wi-fi seems to fix that issue.

I put a wifi toggle on my home screen to one click turn it on or off.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I turn my wifi off before I let it go to sleep anyway...as I am one of those plagued with the reboot while in sleep mode, and turning off the wi-fi seems to fix that issue.

I put a wifi toggle on my home screen to one click turn it on or off.
You have no idea how lazy I am. I put the wifi toggle on my homescreen (Beautiful Widgets) and using THAT is what I was complaining about!!! :)

In that regard, my Droid just "does." No toggles necessary!

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
You have no idea how lazy I am. I put the wifi toggle on my homescreen (Beautiful Widgets) and using THAT is what I was complaining about!!! :)

In that regard, my Droid just "does." No toggles necessary!

-Matt

HaHaHa...too funny. I have that same widget...I like it, except for when I tap it to shut off, it thinks about it for a sec then turns itself back on!

breebauer

Dec 6, 2010
There was a suggestion from someone on xda that finally fixed the adhoc/wifi - sleep issue for me:

Get the app Settings Profiles
create two profiles
- wifi on (when the screen is on)
-wifi off (when the screen is off)

After doing that- the wifi always came back on after unlocking the screen within seconds... no more toggling

Hope that helps!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
There was a suggestion from someone on xda that finally fixed the adhoc/wifi - sleep issue for me:

create two profiles

After doing that- the wifi always came back on after unlocking the screen within seconds... no more toggling

Hope that helps!
Ah thanks! I TOTALLY forgot about Setting Profiles!

-Matt

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
breebauer - can you clarify - did this thread you referenced fixed the adhoc issue or the wifi disconnecting issue (or both)?

create two profiles

Hope that helps!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Well, until they chime in...I interpreted it as it addressed the disconnecting issue. In other words, I complained about toggling wifi on/off to reconnect and this was their suggested solution. But I could be wrong.

-Matt