Which ROM to use for new NC

FunWith4Kids

Apr 10, 2011
Folks - Great forum.

My wife is interested in the NC. Heard it could be rooted into full Android system which also caused some interest from me. I have a rooted DI so familiar with rooting.

Since my wife is technically challenged and will be using the NC as a true reader, which ROM would you recommend I use to install that is stable and will not get in her way of her e-reader activities. If there are FCs, she will get frustrated and be pissed at me if I root it. I will be using the full Android OS for other things so interested in the NC.

TIA.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
This is a highly personal question and really there is no right answer. There are a few functionality differences like B&N ereader functionality, flash and bluetooth so you have to know which features you want. There are at least 3 other threads with nearly an identical title so try a search for those and read the comments there.

Other than that starting here is a good idea http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...color-now-what-aka-complete-idiots-guide.html

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
as J515OP do a little reading as the answer is somewhat dependent on your preference - currently there are a number of options (just listing 5 common ones)

1) Stock rooted Nook Color - note this uses the original nook color ROM, just unlocks it
2) Custom ROM - CM7 Stable - what i am running and my fave
3) Custom ROM - Ultimate Droid - a popular ROM as well
4) Custom ROM - Nookie Froyo
5) Honeycomb - probably the only one i would not recommened as it is based on preview version of HC - meaning not stable for daily use yet

This is a highly personal question and really there is no right answer. There are a few functionality differences like B&N ereader functionality, flash and bluetooth so you have to know which features you want. There are at least 3 other threads with nearly an identical title so try a search for those and read the comments there.

Other than that starting here is a good idea http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...color-now-what-aka-complete-idiots-guide.html

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
Stop confusing the man

CM7 the thing and be done with it. you will never look back, and will never have a reason to look for anything else. I have CM7 and regularly use the kindle reading app without any issues. also have the nook readin app, google books, and a couple others that I never use, but can.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@OP
Just root your NC, keeping the stock b&n software and install a few apps to finish it off as a tablet.

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
if you like to read magazines and/or you like the "read to me" feature for kids on your nook, you'll want to keep the stock rooted ROM.

I really want the functionality of CM7 (Gingerbread) but would love to keep my magz and kids books. However, I may just created a bootable stock rom SD. (if thats possible) and use CM7 as my "daily driver"

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yes I agree with Rico. Autonooter the Nook to keep it at stock rooted. That way you still have the full B&N interface and access to android apps and functions. I think that is probably what the OP is looking for.

chris30673

Feb 4, 2011
I've been resistant to change, and keep going back to rooted nook. I will try one of the other custom roms and a couple days later go back to the rooted nook (which for me, does everything I want it to do). The one good thing is that I have tons of practice with backing up and restoring it.

FunWith4Kids

Apr 10, 2011
Folks, This helps as the world of custom ROMs is constantly evolving. What was discussed a month ago could be already out of date.... Thanks for the responses.

Anima, Thanks for taking the time to outline a few of the common options and some points about each.

Jayx, If it was for me only, I would go straight away with the custom ROMs like I do with my DInc (Lou's Redemption on DInc is my #1). However, leaning toward CM7 if I go custom.

Will start probably with a straight root until I can figure out what the takeaways are with some of the custom ROMs (e.g. CM7). We won't need the read to me capability, but plan to use it for magazine delivery so not sure if that ability goes away with CM7, for example. If it does, perhaps more pros outway the takeaway.

Again, much appreciated for the responses.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yep, all custom ROMs take the magazines and "Read to Me" features away. The biggest draw back by far for those of us who use them. Probably still woth looking up the other threads since the responses are about like this one. Though the build version of the ROMs change most of the comments are limited to android 2.1 vs 2.2 vs 2.3 vs 3.0 and the family of ROMs that utilize them like Nokie Froyo, Phiremod, Ultimate Droid rather than specific build issues.

Still worth finding and reading.

JP

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
does stock rom have FREE magazines?

if not, then install any rom you want, get kindle app, get magazines, enjoy.

DeeMat

Oct 19, 2010
Stock rooted is fine enough - unless you have ROM A.D.D. from flashing too many ROMs to your Droid phone. I was stock rooted until last night and must admit that CM7 has taken this thing to a whole new level for me.

By the way, I feel luck to have found this forum. The people are awesome, welcoming, helpful...

FunWith4Kids

Apr 10, 2011
Picked up a NC today and will be rooting tonight. Going with the stock root at first and then move on to CM7 after seeing what features wife will be using.

Dee, no ROM ADD as I flash ROMs on the DInc. With all the great developers out there creating and tweaking the ROMs, why not use the devices to their full potential? :)

Thanks everyone for their feedback in this thread as well as all the other threads been reading over the past week.