TF700T - New Firmware Update To: 10.4.425

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Ok, a cold boot/hard reset on an Asus is NOT the same as a factory reset/wipe data.

It just clears some cobwebs out to make it run better.

Basically, just hold VOL DOWN and POWER for about 12-15 seconds until you see some white text, release and wait for it to boot to the OS.

The next screen has 4 icons, the Android should be glowing green. 10 seconds later it will be cold-booting linux.

LeighJ

Jan 30, 2013
Ok, a cold boot/hard reset on an Asus is NOT the same as a factory reset/wipe data.

It just clears some cobwebs out to make it run better.

Basically, just hold VOL DOWN and POWER for about 12-15 seconds until you see some white text, release and wait for it to boot to the OS.

The next screen has 4 icons, the Android should be glowing green. 10 seconds later it will be cold-booting linux.

I am not talking about the Cold Boot part of the instructions, I get that won't wipe. I am talking about where Nibs said to go in to settings and select factory reset and said I would need to reinstall the apps under settings.

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
DOH!

I missed that part....

But I would definitely do it since you went from ICS to JellyBean (Android 4.0 to 4.1). It does run smoother after reinstalling your apps.

There is a handy app pre-installed called App Backup. I would backup your apps using the Apps & Data option. Break it up into separate backups if you have too many apps.

Then copy any music, movies, documents, videos, etc. to an external storage (USB, computer, microSD, cloud, computer) along with the backup files.

Wipe the tablet 3X as Nibs indicated.

Set it back up and have Google Play reinstall fresh copies from backups. Then restore the data from the apps using AppBackup. Then restore any apps that did not automatically restore from the play store from your app backups.

Copy your files back in place.

It will probably take 1-2 hours depending on how many apps are installed, but it can save you a lot of headaches if your tablet runs slow from some old ICS cobwebs hanging around.

Most normal firmware updates (from and to the same android version llike 4.1.1 to 4.1.2) you can skip the factory reset, but for major changes (like 4.0 to 4.1) it is HIGLY recommended.

LeighJ

Jan 30, 2013
O.k. I will give it a shot. Thanks for the clarification and all the help both you and Nibs gave.

runejors

Mar 27, 2013
Hi i am new here and need some help. My settings are IML74KUS_epad-9.4.5.30 but it can't detect any new firmware. what do i do?

Rune