The best custom ROM/FW's for White PDN.

killersloth

Feb 1, 2011
I have flashed my WPDN so many times now, I've gone through so many modded firmwares, and here are my top 2.

1. CyanogenMod Beta - CyanogenMod 6.x SlateDroid All around fastest version so far, runs froyo 2.2 and runs it good.

This is an Android 2.2 port with working Google applications and many much needed tweaks to transform the WPDN into a fully functional Android tablet.

Things known to work:
* Audio
* WIFI - (signal strength, password retention all work)
* SD card mounting/unmounting - Only the external SD card is mounted.
* Sleep works (uses the same hack that I used for the Froyo ROM to prevent hangs). Expect
to see a huge battery drain.
* Display brightness controls.
* Soft buttons.
* The ROM is rooted so apps requiring root should just work.
* HW acceleration for video playback. Except for m.youtube.com, videos that I have tried use hardware decoding.

KNOWN ISSUES:
1) Graphics is quirky as it is with the other FROYO ROM and portrait mode may be slow.
2) Install to SD card does not work due to kernel limitation.

WORKAROUNDS:
1) Youtube works when using m.youtube.com, but turn off HQ mode.
2) If an app cannot be installed, you can try using adb to install it. For AngryBirds, I used adb install -f AngryBirds.apk . This forces the install on to the internal memory instead of SD card. Android might decide where to put the app and I think for small apps, it defaults to internal memory and for large apps, it ends up defaulting to sdcard.

If you do not like the default keyboard, you can change it from Settings->Language and Keyboard or by long pressing selecting a text input box and doing a long press (hold for a long time) until a dialog box which says Input shows up and from there choose Android keyboard.

2. Stock 1/14 OP - This version was released by Pandigital (SH20_20110114_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip) No video stutter, runs smooth. The new January firmwares create 2 partitions on internal SD, one you can see on windows and one only the device reads.

Both of these releases can run market, but I suggest CyanogenMod. It makes the White PDN run like a real tablet. Try and see.
If you would like any help with installing either of these I am willing to help.

Last Updated February 1

Last edited by a moderator:

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
I just flashed the CyanogenMod one that you linked...it's awesome, but I can't get the Market to work. It doesn't even show up anymore...weird! Any suggestions?

daspazz

Feb 27, 2011
OK I flashed this mod and I liked it but wanted more of a tablet firmware. So i tried to roll back to something else. based on the OpenFirmware with Gapps added (SH20_OPDN_2_00_GAPPS_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP from slatedroid).

Now I keep getting errors on system start and I cant really access the the softkeys. The errors are

"bang"Sorry!
Application Android Keyboard (in process com.android.inputmethod.latin) is not responding.
Force close / wait

Im confused, have I semi bricked my WPDN?

Any help would be awesome!!

Edit >>>> Nevermind, I fianlly got ti to take a full flash by putting the new firmware on the SD card. I was having trouble with the USB origianlly on this unit. But now thats all fixed. I did loose half my 16 gig card though. I need to find a tool to unpartition the card and then put it back into the WPDN. More googling for now! ;-)

Or if someone knows a short cut Im forever grsateful....

Edit >>>>>> Nevermind part duex, Google is your friend. Turns out there is an old DOS hold over in Win7 called diskpart! YEAH all I had to do was learn how to use the tool and now Im back to a raw 16gig SDHC card. Yeah me!! will wonders never cease?

More edit....... The above link to the second option is now dated based on the release from PD this March.

Last edited:

bolillo

Apr 29, 2011
I just tried the link and it works fine. downloaded fast. not gonna switch right away tho. kinda happy with what I have for now.

badr

May 14, 2011
I switched my pandigital to this rom (CyanogenMod Beta).. However, I got a big problem after installing the rom: my pandigital couldn't be connected to computer, when I connect it to computer its storages appear on the laptop but I couldn't open it.

I switched back to older rom and there is no problem, and when I installed the
CyanogenMod again the problem returned again.

Please help me to get the solution.

In fact I like this final rom but I need a solution for the problem.

Thanks alot.

thantaipansat

May 22, 2011
how long after i load with new software from killersloth suggestion, but i don know how long for it boot up it took me long time still not up yet. please help

Mr Tim

Apr 20, 2011
I switched my pandigital to this rom (CyanogenMod Beta).. However, I got a big problem after installing the rom: my pandigital couldn't be connected to computer, when I connect it to computer its storages appear on the laptop but I couldn't open it.

I switched back to older rom and there is no problem, and when I installed the
CyanogenMod again the problem returned again.

Please help me to get the solution.

In fact I like this final rom but I need a solution for the problem.

Thanks alot.

Working as designed. FroYo is differnt from Eclair when it comes to USB storage. You need to enable USB Mass Storage
each time you plug in the USB cable. When you've plugged it in, drag the notification bar down and Press USB Mass Storage,
then Enable Mass Storage. It looks like this....

thumb_tall_android-froyo-mount.png
thumb_tall_android-froyo-mount-2.png

deejaydark07

Jun 9, 2011
hello everyone and yes im a noob to this. i just bought this 3 days ago and with alot of reading i finally decided to install cyanogenmod into my WPDN... loaded fine.... im guessing, but strange.... i didnt see anything about signing in to my google account. it just went straight to the homescreen after weird calibration.now that i have it running.... i dont see any google apps WTF... any help whould be so kindly.

npiper05

Jun 22, 2011
I would def. like some help getting the ROM installed. I put on the pandigital upgrade awhile ago, but not sure how to do the CyangenMod. I did download the file and put it on the SD card, but not sure where to go from there.

Thanks

Nick

I have flashed my WPDN so many times now, I've gone through so many modded firmwares, and here are my top 2.

1. CyanogenMod Beta - CyanogenMod 6.x SlateDroid All around fastest version so far, runs froyo 2.2 and runs it good.

This is an Android 2.2 port with working Google applications and many much needed tweaks to transform the WPDN into a fully functional Android tablet.

2. Stock 1/14 OP - This version was released by Pandigital (SH20_20110114_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip) No video stutter, runs smooth. The new January firmwares create 2 partitions on internal SD, one you can see on windows and one only the device reads.

Both of these releases can run market, but I suggest CyanogenMod. It makes the White PDN run like a real tablet. Try and see.
If you would like any help with installing either of these I am willing to help.

Last Updated February 1

arthurtsang

Jun 26, 2011
I've flashed CM6 SlateDroid and tried to flash the gapp from Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki, i've try all 4 available for CM6 but none seems to work. When you said both can run market, do you mean Google Market?

UPDATE: never mind. figured out how to do that.

Last edited:

crybrook

Jul 5, 2011
I also i loaded the cm.6 but have no google market. I am at this point not sure how to get the google on my Pandigital Novel. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

crybrook

Jul 5, 2011
arthurtsang, I have had the same issue,can you point me in the right direction to get the "gapp" from "Latest Version - CyanogenMod wiki" working. I have the White Pandigital Novel. thanks ahead of time.

crybrook

Jul 5, 2011
I've flashed CM6 SlateDroid and tried to flash the gapp from Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki, i've try all 4 available for CM6 but none seems to work. When you said both can run market, do you mean Google Market?

UPDATE: never mind. figured out how to do that.
Hello, I am kind of a noobie but i've flashed the cm6 but i am not sure how to get the goolge market working.
Could you give some hints.

thanks,