The Cruz Tablet is a Disappointment

tws

Nov 28, 2010
I've got the cruz tablet for 249.99 at b.buy 4 days ago. It's interesting in that you can try apps and they will either install or not. It's seems safe that way so I have been trying many. I can say, download skyfire 2.3 if you want online videos and a better browser. That makes the tablet a joy to me. I got a battery widget that shows the percentage which is an improvement over the supplied one which shows nothing except a bar that is hard to see. I put tons of documents on the supplied 8 gig card and the office viewer shows them all and it shows pdf.s. The one caveat I will say is that the screen takes some getting used to as far as pressure and movement. first battery charge lasted about 7 hours, but I really used it up with an iheart radio app playing an oldies but goodies radio station in the background. neat. I have not figured out how to change the battery. I see a reset hole which I assume is like an old pda reset hole. I could not get the tablet to tether with windows 7, but then I'm mainly downloading to a thumpdrive and then copying to the 8 gig sandisk card. Anyone know how to change the battery? Anyone get the tether to work with win7?

garyg007

Dec 5, 2010
We are testing the Cruz Tablet at this time and will be providing a full review hopefully in the next week or so. TabletConnect is also disappointed. Not only is the processor a disappointment but we find the capacitive screen responds more like a resistive screen. We have also had difficulties installing apps that had no problems installing on our $200 ePad/Zenithink ZT-180. Just curious if anyone else is experiencing the same issues we are.

That, and a whole lot more. Purchase of the cruz tablet was the worst purchase I'v made in recent years.
The screen froze; after a couple of hours the tablet started running thru many screens and apps --- all by itself. When that ceased, the screen was still froze and now the menu, home and return buttons refuse to respond. Velocity tech support was no help; After being on hold for over 8 minuets, a support person told me to leave the unit on over night to drain the battery --- only problem is the unit will not stay turned on; and that is on a unit that was delivered Saturday, and it is now Tuesday morning.

There was no user guide in the box. a note in the box said the user guide was installed on the tablet ---
a hell of a lot of good that was; no user guide to say how to operate the thing.

The majority of the apps I tried to install refused to install.

That cruz tablet has been a really bad experience for me; I would not suggest it to anyone.

ufxss

Nov 16, 2010
Afer trying the cruz tablet for a month it went back today and i got a hawei S7....WOW what a big difference...

MoCoTerp

Dec 4, 2010
Well, my Cruz experience has been both filled with ups and downs (as I expected since these devices aren't truly supported by Android). Pros, hardware seems okay and servicable, cons are that the screen doesn't seem responsive all the time but I think this is more that the processor is figuring things out more than the screen itself. Certainly not having GPS or a camera hurts, but for $250 I am not going to complain that much.

I sideloaded some apps that improve it's experience to me especially Launcher Pro and Skyfire. Also put the following apps on: Dolphin Browser, Aldiko, Kindle, ASolitaire, Engadget, Facebook, G4TV, iheartradio, IMDb, Manga Browser, NPR News, Pandora, SlideMe, and TV.com. For others, like CNN, I find their wifi web page version works pretty much like the app.

Music playback okay with Android standard player, video codecs dicey though what it does play back, it does so smoothy.

CyberGenie

Dec 10, 2010
That, and a whole lot more. Purchase of the cruz tablet was the worst purchase I'v made in recent years.
The screen froze; after a couple of hours the tablet started running thru many screens and apps --- all by itself. When that ceased, the screen was still froze and now the menu, home and return buttons refuse to respond. Velocity tech support was no help; After being on hold for over 8 minuets, a support person told me to leave the unit on over night to drain the battery --- only problem is the unit will not stay turned on; and that is on a unit that was delivered Saturday, and it is now Tuesday morning.

There was no user guide in the box. a note in the box said the user guide was installed on the tablet ---
a hell of a lot of good that was; no user guide to say how to operate the thing.

The majority of the apps I tried to install refused to install.

That cruz tablet has been a really bad experience for me; I would not suggest it to anyone.

I had the same problem during my first week. Got the same comments from tech support. I just left it on and everytime it would try to blank out I'd tap it again or just turn it on. Tedious but it worked. The reset procedure to update the OS didn't work (they have since posted an alternate method). Once I got the tablet drained and recharged, it turned on OK although occasionally it would bounce the screen around. On a whim I decided to remove the last apps I had installed and lo and behold, the tablet works like a charm. No more shakes, bounces or non-responsive screens/buttons.

I happen to be quite satisfied with it. True, you can't upgrade the Android version past 2.0, but I can live with that. No Google Market and Cruz Market a bit empty? No prob I can still download from other sites if necessary. Just have to be careful what I install. (Added an antivirus app that works fine too). The screen sensitivity took some getting used to, but I managed to control the strength of my taps.

As for the lack of apps for tablets on the Cruz Market and elsewhere, HEELLLOOOO!!! The main tablets just recently came out. Give the developers some time to translate some of the phone apps to tablets. Let them develop new apps for tablets. I predict that by February we should be seeing an influx of new apps just for our tablets. Patience.

For what I need this works great. If I wanted more I would have bought another laptop. If I can't find an app I need, I can always design one of my own tailor made for my needs and Android version.

I've recommended to many people I know and those who have bought it have no complaints.

Andarou

May 6, 2011
I'm not sure which Cruz tablet you guys are reviewing, but it's definitely not the T301.

First, the T301 (which is $149.99 at RadioShack through the weekend now) is on a dual-core ARM9 processor @ 660mhz x2. Current models ship with either 256mb of ram or 512. Current Android version is Froyo (2.2) and it does have Flash. The demo model I've been playing around with has been great and I've been glad to show it off to customers. Btw, Yes.. the market is a bit limited for apps.. But in the Cruz Market, you can download Amazon App store free and use all of their Apps available as well.

I recommend the T301.