The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

sakis

Jan 21, 2011
@sakis It's Android 2.2 because it's a buggy beta, but the key take-away is that it is not going to be powerful enough for Adobe Flash. People like the Samsung 'Herotab M816' now for tweaking, but the iMX515 is dropping fast in price, and the only main drawback is the possibly horrible touchscreen. But the devices themselves at this price range with these specs are actually decent, if you would believe me. It depends on your needs.

Thanks a lot for your advice xaueious. As you always stress "it depends on your needs".
I am a chemical engineer by profession and I am looking for something to accompany my mobile phone (NOKIA 5800) and carry around (My EEEPC seems a bit heavy and bulky;). Instead of buying an android smart-phone (which would have a limited screen size) I intend to buy a cheap tablet, check its usefulness and then move on to the brand names. Main use - (on the go and during trips AND FIELDWORK):
- E-mail checking
- Web browsing
- E-books & Manuals reading (mainly PDFs)
- Word files VIEWING (mainly report reviews etc) - the main work is done on the PC
- Excel files VIEWING - the main work is done on the PC
- If time allows, some music (classic rock :cool:) listening
- If time allows, some tampering with the system - even some programming (you cannot teach an old dog new tricks - he sticks with the old ones!)

As you can see my needs are not that "CPU demanding" (although I find these particular CPUs VERY fast - or "handheld supercomputers" - compared with the ones I once used i.e. the 6502 based Apple II & BBC micro which, by the way, were GREAT machines)

I have studied the contents of this site (including http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...tablet-buying-list-what-get-what-avoid-7.html). Both of the machines I mentioned in my earlier post fit into the recommendations.

However, I am worried about the final quality. What you pay is what you get of course, but will this HiPAD be a HiPAD or a HiPAD "clone" ??? Is there any way to tell the difference ???

Thanking all of you in advance
Sakis

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I can't tell the difference. Some vendors are nice and will actually tell you. Others wont tell you. That's why I recommend brand names if available. I don't know what you can get in Greece though.

I haven't had experience with that seller. You have to do a bit more research before deciding on whether or not this is a good place to buy from for you. Pay attention to shipment methods, because a lot of issues occur there. Once piece of advice about these tablets is that for most people, the 2GB variant is more than sufficient. These M701s are a little on the fragile side, so the case is recommended.

We have a couple of threads on the M701:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/unlisted-tablets/918-what-your-opinion-haipad.html
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ndawill-g10-wiipad-slim-plus-haipad-m701.html

I personally like the EM71 (same casing as the Kyros MID7015) because it is built nicer, but I am not sure where you can get one reliably.

camycam178

Jan 22, 2011
Hey. I'm new to the forums, and I do not own an android tablet yet. What I am looking for is something that has access to the android store, and can run all of the games and such that are available on it. Wifi and large storage space are also important. Long battery life is kind of important, but not really a must have. Also a lower price is favored. Any suggestions? Thanks :D

Also looking for 7 or larger inch variants, but smaller i will also look at.

Last edited:

totouch

Jan 11, 2011
@totouch I wouldn't call any of those tablets well supported. They can't even get Android 2.2 right, and you expect them to give you Android 2.3 for free? The A81 is actually decent, but I think people have had difficulties tracking down replacement batteries.

thanks for the clarification and observations Xaueious.. much appreciated! in your opinion are there any 'generic' tabs that do have 2.2 'right'?

thanks again for the help!

TK421

Jan 20, 2011
Howdy!

I am new to the idea of tablets as a useful tool. I am in the process of looking through this website and everything else I can find to study capabilities and models. One I recently stumbled across mentioned the upcoming Toshiba Smart Pad (which they think will be named 'Folio'). I was wondering if anyone had heard about this model...any potential release dates, price points, specifications.

I ask because I owned a Toshiba laptop years ago and was very impressed with it. If they put the same quality into this new tablet then I am definitely going to lean this way.

Aggort

Jan 18, 2011
@Aggort The 'G10' is basically the Coby Kyros with a cheaper casing and a remote control. Downsides includes waiting for a couple of weeks for the thing to ship, worse aftersales support, painful returns/repairs.

Thanks for the assistance! I figured those would be the downsides, but as I said I am used to such products. Merimobiles seems to be VERY trustworthy and have already had great communication and support with me so I bit the bullet and went with the M7001-R, because I could get it for cheaper!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@camycam178 Nothing is easy. If you want all the bells and whistles without any hassles, your only choice is the Galaxy Tab. The Archos 70 is also a good choice.

@TK421 Toshiba released the Folio 100. So far it's not a worthy device of mention. I wouldn't have high hopes for them.

ministeve2003

Jan 23, 2011
hi guys,

Just looking right now, prob going to buy something in a month or two (kinda waiting to see what new stuff comes out... maybe the prices of the expensive stuff will come down and mhz will go up...lol

Things I want

7" screen - not too big to lug around, but big enough to browse the web in...

Screen Quality (this is a big deal, I want to actually see a clear screen, not some foggy/hazzy old style cheap lcd...I looked at the samsung Galaxy tab the other day at costco and loved the screen, so you can use that for reference)

Thin overall shape, I would hate a bulky tablet, it would ruin the fun...

must have Wifi... also should have some sort of Zooming while on websites (doesn't have to be multi-touch capacitive, just easy to zoom and manipulate) (flash 10.1 and Java is a must)
I'm not going to pay for 3g/4g so it won't matter if it's compatible with that...

music (3.5mm headphone jack) would like some sort of speaker on it too but it doesn't have to be a very good one as it won't get used much...

Movies - must be fast enought to watch mp4 movies in any decent bitrate , would also like avi, divx, etc...

ebooks (I use txt format, and used to use mobipocket I like the books to scroll automattically, so it should be fast enought to scroll)

I would like to spend 250 or less,

optional things I'd like but aren't totally important

Bluetooth (for a stero headset)
Hdmi (would prefer full size plug instead of mini but either would be nice)
mildly graphic games (not important at all)

Thanks for your input

SK

Last edited:

black_m166

Jan 23, 2011
Its so hard with so meny all so alike and no read brand names :/ i need help
im semi-clued up but not anuff,

im after 10' only
as i want it for web,lil market games(if my fone can id like it to as well emu...some silly games) movies divx avi etc...wifi and fast ,
id like to have 512+ ram too...thats not to hard
but

needs-rootable (if thats a real word) and 2.2 ( eg flash10+java) working market ,would like multitouch

what about Andriod-OS 3.0 will any of the ones like this cope with it?? 10" ZT180 v2 Android 2.2 Tablet HDMI - 512MB - 4GB Epad on eBay (end time 30-Jan-11 21:57:55 GMT)

and any of those types take windows xp/vista/7

EDkataantje

Jan 24, 2011
Hi there,

I'm a huge Android fan, and looking for an Android Pad. Not sure which to choose, there are many of them. This is what I'm looking for;

7" - 10"
Android 2.1-2.2
Android Market
Capacitive Touch Screen
Play games (angy birds)
Watch video´s (DIVX)
Read Books
WIFI and Flash support..

Any one has an idea where to look ?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@black_m166 Try a Tegra 2 tablet such as the Viewsonic gTablet. No ZT180 will run full Adobe Flash.

@ministeve2003 There's nothing for you right now in that price range. You sound like you should try the Archos 70, but don't expect to run Divx on it.

@Edkataantje Where are you located? What's your budget?

EDkataantje

Jan 24, 2011

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The two tablets you listed are identical. Neither one supports Angry Birds. Do you not have the Archos 70 in your region? Or is that too expensive already for you? That's the least expensive yet reliable capacitive Android 2.2 tablet available internationally at the moment.

EDkataantje

Jan 24, 2011
Hi,

Thanks, I already thought it was the same, same chipset and everything. But the Archos is around the $300. It is just above my budget, is there a reasonably alternative?

Madcap

Jan 24, 2011
I'm ready to buy my first tablet. It will be used as a remote control to drive my locally-hosted web-based home theater software. So I need WIFI but NOT 3g/4g/sms/etc. I'm thinking a 7 inch display is about right. The tablet will be used for navigating the browser interface but the audio and video will output to my TV's and stereo rather than the tablet. The digital media files and obviously the CD's and DVD's will not be served by the tablet either, it is just intended for the user interface. The one feature I'm having trouble with is the charger. While it is easy enough to plug in an AC adapter, I think I would rather have a small docking station or "cradle" sitting on the end table so I can just drop it in when I'm not using it (like the Droid X dock for example). I'm hoping to spend under $300. Regarding the dock, I'm concerned that the tablet might go into some alternate mode when docked and thus require several seconds to become usable again when I pick it back up. That would be quite annoying if I want to, say, pause a movie to answer the phone. Any suggestions?

Btw, I my user interface doesn't use flash so I think I can get by with an older release of Android, so long as it's stable and the browser is quick enough for basic HTML and a few jpeg's. Thanks.

Last edited: