The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Cloud

Jan 25, 2011
@xaueious thank you, I will take a look. I believe the Dropad A8's are also being launched this week, keeping one eye on their performance as well (especially the battery life).

papatek

Jan 23, 2011
What's a good place to buy it from. Moreover, what is the difference between epad, apad or iped? I like light weight stuff, such as taking notes, twitter, web surfing, maybe some Youtubing at a lower resolution, less finger prints because you use a touch-pen, bigger screen http://www.papatek.com/Panel156Inch/14413.htmlthan most 3G internet smartphones and very affordable about 200 dollars.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@icreepin Not sure where you can find good side by sides. The gTablet you will be able to find plenty of information on. Notion Ink is new and really limited in quantity. Galaxy Tab does not do phone calls.

@Cloud I would be very surprised if that Dropad is a bug free device. The Cortex A8 platforms right now just are not that polished right now.

@papatek We have threads about who to buy from. Names like apad, epad, iped do not mean a thing for generic shanzhai tablets out of China. Are you in the US?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
@faceman The Nook Color has double the RAM and a much better screen. It also happens to cost a little less. The community support is actually better on the Nook Color. The hardware is loved by many.

I've noticed a great online following for the Nook Color, too. I wasn't aware of the RAM difference, do you recommend a place that lists specs for each tablet for comparison? I've found a few but most seem either poorly designed and hard to use or don't offer enough models to compare real specs.

Also, what's your personal argument for capacitive vs resistive screens? What makes capacitive "necessary"?

Cloud

Jan 25, 2011
@xaueious yes, will have to wait and see. The Archos 70 looks like the best bet, just have to figure out the best way to get it in South Africa. There is a distributor for this region, just awaiting a reply about availability. Thanks again for the tip.

dcsipe

Jan 26, 2011
I've been searching through this thread and the forum, and there's so much info my head is swimming a bit. Here's the info on what I'm looking for. Anyone have recommendations??

7" Tablet
Android 2.2 (but capable of handling Android 2.3/3.0 when it's released)
Prefer capacitive screen, but if most of my "wants" are met, resistive is fine as well
RAM - Preferably 512MB (so it's more capable of Android 2.3/3.0) However, if 256 will still run 2.3/3.0 smoothly, that's fine.
Flash disk - No real preference on size here, just so long as it has an SD card slot for expansion
GPS/Bluetooth - Would be nice, but not mandatory.
Cost - $150-$350

Use: -Would like to have something I can surf the internet with
- watch Netflix or Hulu (don't know if there are apps for this yet...I'm an iPhone user..)
- Flash
- light gaming
- would like to also use this sometimes as an ereader

My dad has an Archos 70 internet tablet, which I only got to play with for a few minutes, but I did like the size and user experience. However, without having spent a lot of time with it, I wasn't sure if it would fit my needs.

I'm not afraid to hack a bit if needed, but would like something that is going to give a really smooth user experience. Don't really care if it's a major namebrand or something out of China.

Thoughts?

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Hi all,

This site and thread are great resources. Thanks for helping out.

I'm looking for a simple tablet for bedside use (insomniac's notepad / calender / tasks / browser tool) so WifFi is good enough. 7 or 8" seems large enough. I would like Android 2.2 for consistency with my phone, which is supposedly about to go to 2.2. I do need a good browser/google experience, and my biz and life pretty much revolve around google apps for business including email/calender/tasks etc. Guess list for is easier for whatever kind soul helps me.

Want:
Android 2.2
7 or 8" screen
marketplace
wifi
micro slot
good browser
pdf reader
book reader
usb port (at least one)
email or calender that I can sync to google account.

I don't want the headaches of the ultra cheap $150 units, so am glad to spend a bit more. $200, or maybe even $300 is there's a large benefit

thanks for any assistance.
Roger

JohnSpeer

Jan 26, 2011
I am in the US and considering my first purchase of an Android tablet. This looks like a good forum for concise advice.

1. Let me know what you think about the following tablet: DealExtreme: $129.90 7" Touch Screen LCD Google Android 2.1 Tablet PC w/ WiFi/Camera/HDMI/TF/2*Mini USB (ARM11 800MHz) It is supposed to be like the Scroll but with microphone and camera.

2. I am also considering the Coby Kryos with TCC8902 (MID7015). The tablet above has 2gb less Nand Flash, but has a modest camera and an extra miniport. Pricing (excluding taxes) is about the same for me with current Radio shack deal. Any other considerations?

3. What is your assessment of the probabilities for devlopment of software for either of these tablets that would implement bluetooth for headset/earphones/external GPS or usb camera?

Thanks for your help!

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
OK, I spent a bunch of time today researching again and read over the guides,
Problem is, it's hard, without a lot more research, to even understand which ones are which. i.e. despite the excellent recommendations, it's hard to tell which units available (for instance, from ecargoonline) equate to the recommended units. Anyway, I don't want to mooch too much, so I've at least tried to look up a few units on my own, and present them here for a thumbs up (or down)

Android 2.2 OS 512 RAM with Freescale iMX515 Cortex A8 Processor Tablet PC M8003

7Inch Android 2.2 Tablet PC Built-in GPS and Bluetooth with TIOMAP3 CORTEX A8 Processor Support WIFI and 3G

10.2 Inch Tablet PC with Android 2.2 system ZT-180 Processor 512M ROM 3G and WIFI

Cortex A8 Android 2.2 Touch-Screen Tablet-Freescale Cortex A8-800MHZ-DDR2 512M-4GB-Wifi-Gsensor(A80989PC07) - US$ 209.99

Amazon.com: Android 2.2 8 inch Tablet Pc - A8: Electronics

10.2" ePad Android 2.2 WiFi HDMI Camera 3G Tablet PC OZ - eBay (item 110638668182 end time Feb-20-11 03:47:16 PST)

7" Epad Android OS 2.2 Tablet PC / Touch pad / UPS!!! - eBay (item 250761576051 end time Jan-28-11 15:56:17 PST)

7" Android® 2.2 Tablet WiFi 3G/4G 1GHz HDMI PCtoTV

Thanks for any pointers.
R

Shino

Jan 26, 2011
I'm thinking of getting ViewSonic10. Does it has it's own market? I can't seems to find much info about it online. Where to buy this ViewSonic10? I'm living in Singapore.

Thanks.

min10-2008

Dec 21, 2010
Okay, I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been looking everywhere for a tablet that suits my needs but have been unable to find one. Hopefully you guys can help me out.

Im looking for a tablet that I can permanently mount in my car that I will mostly use for GPS navigation and music playback so it'll need to have GPS and market access or some other way to get a good offline navigation app on it, I also need at least 120gb of storage for my music. I also hate resistive touch screens so it needs to have a quality capacitive screen between 7 and 10 inches. At least Android 2.2 would be nice, but it's not necessary. I don't want a super slow tablet, but I'm not too worried about specs as long as it has room for my music and can navigate me around.

I got super excited when I saw the Archos 70 Internet tablet, but my excitement quickly left when I realized there was no GPS :(

Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

Hi am looking @ this on eBay.au called a 10.1" Superpad Aka Flytouch Android 2.1 with free HDMI cable & keyboard/case item 150552457905. seller is called aero7373. Store is Android pads & it has their own forum running here's the link apads.com.au/forum

Hope I've been a little bit of a help I'm a newbie & the only way to get answers is to keep asking.

min10-2008

Dec 21, 2010
OK, I spent a bunch of time today researching again and read over the guides,
Problem is, it's hard, without a lot more research, to even understand which ones are which. i.e. despite the excellent recommendations, it's hard to tell which units available (for instance, from ecargoonline) equate to the recommended units. Anyway, I don't want to mooch too much, so I've at least tried to look up a few units on my own, and present them here for a thumbs up (or down)

Android 2.2 OS 512 RAM with Freescale iMX515 Cortex A8 Processor Tablet PC M8003

7Inch Android 2.2 Tablet PC Built-in GPS and Bluetooth with TIOMAP3 CORTEX A8 Processor Support WIFI and 3G

10.2 Inch Tablet PC with Android 2.2 system ZT-180 Processor 512M ROM 3G and WIFI

Cortex A8 Android 2.2 Touch-Screen Tablet-Freescale Cortex A8-800MHZ-DDR2 512M-4GB-Wifi-Gsensor(A80989PC07) - US$ 209.99

Amazon.com: Android 2.2 8 inch Tablet Pc - A8: Electronics

10.2" ePad Android 2.2 WiFi HDMI Camera 3G Tablet PC OZ - eBay (item 110638668182 end time Feb-20-11 03:47:16 PST)

7" Epad Android OS 2.2 Tablet PC / Touch pad / UPS!!! - eBay (item 250761576051 end time Jan-28-11 15:56:17 PST)

7" Android® 2.2 Tablet WiFi 3G/4G 1GHz HDMI PCtoTV

Thanks for any pointers.
R

Rogand, the more you look, the more confused you become. 1st of all decide on the size of the screen, what you want it for, are you technically minded or a techy dinosaur like me? What size storage do you want. Old fashioned me has written down on old fashioned paper the pro's & cons for my own use. Might help you to decide before your brain frys like mine has been over the last month or so (should of been a Xmas present) but I just couldn't decide. All I really wanted was an ereader but the prices are so tight in Aus, might as well get a pad of some sort. One of the guys or gals on here suggested a flytouch instead of the ZT, so am looking for best bang for the money. Bear in mind that buying from a wholesaler they may not offer proper registration codes for the Android market & also their delivery times are not the best. I ordered a small item on 5th Jan & it's still not here. . Good luck whatever you decide.

icreepin

Jan 25, 2011
@icreepin Not sure where you can find good side by sides. The gTablet you will be able to find plenty of information on. Notion Ink is new and really limited in quantity. Galaxy Tab does not do phone calls.

@Cloud I would be very surprised if that Dropad is a bug free device. The Cortex A8 platforms right now just are not that polished right now.

@papatek We have threads about who to buy from. Names like apad, epad, iped do not mean a thing for generic shanzhai tablets out of China. Are you in the US?

Looks like I will be purchasing the Gtablet. unless there is a better tablet out there.

jmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Hello - great thread!

I am considering a tablet for use around the office. I have an android mobile device and multiple desktops and a laptop. I would like to use a tablet for gmail, calendar, and contacts as well as web, Corporate Email syncing (May limit me to Android 2.2, but could use web client), GPS (not required, but nice), document reading (perhaps editing) and VNC when needed. A medium battery life is a plus.

I like the 7" display size and would like to keep the price around $200. I am in the US.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

*UPDATE*

I have been considering these two choices:
Coby® MID7015-4G 7" Mobile Internet Tablet ($149 + tax & shipping)
Epad Apad 7" Google Android 2.2 WiFi Tablet PC MID ($118 free shipping)

If I have understood other posts in this thread correctly I believe these are the same device inside MID7015. The Coby appears to have 4 gig with it for a bit more money, but only has Android 2.1. The "Epad Apad" only comes with 2 gig (expandable), but running Android 2.2.

I have rooted multiple WinMo devices and installed and even "cooked" a few roms. My last device was a rooted HTC Touch running froYo. My current device is a Samsung Intercept running 2.1. The point being I am comfortable playing around to make a good device better.

What about the Pandigital Novel 7" Color Multimedia eReader - U.S. - White model? How does it compare with the other two?

Last edited: