The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Radd

Feb 8, 2014
Hmm. OK.

Two senior members recommend Asus, can't disregard this advice I assume. To be honest, never performed a serious research over Asus tablets, so this is a right time I take it.
I have used Asus motherboards for years, also installing them into other people's PCs and they have been always great, reliable and rock solid. But some of my friends have had complained about Asus laptops for instance and not once. Hmm. Need to get into it.

Many thanks for now !

Feb 12, 2014
I'm looking for tablets that will be used in educational services in 3rd world countries. The tablets need to meet the following specs:

• 7 inch (widescreen) or 8 inch (4:3 screen)
  • preferably higher than the standard 800*480 (if 7 inch) or 800*600 (if 8 inch)
  • preferably dual-core
  • 1GB memory
  • 8GB storage
  • Wifi
  • G-sensor
  • Bluetooth preferred

Price will mostly not be an issue as the project I'm working on will need more than 100.000 tablets and our budget is US$ 50 per tablet. What's very important though is quality, as these tablets will be shipped, like stated, to 3rd world countries where replacement or fixing quality related issues that are common in cheaper tablets will be hard. I know, Chinese tablets might not be the way to go if you're looking for reliability, but the budget we have doesn't allow for quality brands.

I'd appreciate any recommendations, and I'll buy some samples based on your recommendations in order to check out the quality. Replies as PMs would also be much appreciated!

Tadeo

Feb 12, 2014
Hello everybody!

Next week, I'm coming to the States (Nashville) for a conference and I would like to take the opportunity to buy a tablet. It would mainly be for browsing, reading pdf-texts, taking it with me on travels instead of a laptop and occasionally using it as a GPS. I was thinking about the following features:

- 10" screen
- Wifi + Cellular (3G will do the trick, as in Europe the 4G-network isn't that well established yet; I reckon the tablet would have to be unlocked then?)
- 16 GB at least, with extra SD-slots
- Bluetooth

I've looked up several tablets for the past few weeks and came across the Sony Xperia Tablet Z, the most recent Asus Transformer, Google Nexus 10 (although it does not have Cellular nor expansion slots), a labyrinth of Samsung models etc. Gradually, however, my head is become stuffed with excellent reviews from all sides, bad user experiences and so on, so I was wondering what model (not limited to those above) you think best in the 10" market at this moment for my purposes.

Thank you very much in advance!

aintnorock

Aug 23, 2013
I bought a generic Android tablet (read: cheap) a couple months ago. I kind of liked it, but had problems with it dropping the connection frequently both on my home network (sitting right next to the router) and also on a couple other networks as well. That tablet is now a moot point - I dropped it and it's now toast. I bought another tablet, a Vizio. It's working better, but it's o/s 3.2.

I use my tablet for browsing FB, reading Kindle books, doing Google searchs, playing some card games, and as a SS teacher with some of my lesson plans, mostly using Word or PDF files, hooking to my TV to watch videos from online.

Now that I've used a tablet for a few months, I love using it and am getting the hang of it, I want one that isn't refurbished or used or an older version, I need one that is a bit higher quality & faster, has an SD slot for 32G, the latest stable o/s, and an HDMI connection.

Any suggestions

Last edited:

sevenhours

Mar 14, 2014
I am looking to buy a tablet for my office. We rotate on-call duties between about 15 people, and need a device to trade off. The only thing it is really used for is to look at PDF documents of client information (between 100-200 documents). From time to time we need to edit these, but just small changes that don't need to be saved back to our main computers. We currently have an IPAD, which is not very functional for our on-call due to the fact that only a few computers can update the device. Also, we have to use an app called IAnnotatePDF to be able to view the documents, which has to be updated through Itunes and is generally cumbersome. We have to use a different app (Numbers) to look at Excel files, and people just can't seem to figure it out. We end up taking printed papers with us during our on-call time, which is why we bought the Ipad in the first place, to prevent having to do that.

We were hoping to get a good deal, like be able to sell the IPAD and use that money for the new tablet. The size doesn't really matter. I guess it doesn't have to have too much space or be too powerful just to view documents, but I just want to make sure that the Android tablet system would be more accessible and function more like a PC, which our people are familiar with. I am computer literate, but I'm not as up on the tablet scene. I have always had Android phones.

Thank you in advance! I even went to the Apple store with the Ipad once to see if it could be more functional, and the guy just looked at me funny.

robb_0909

Apr 16, 2014
Hello everyone.

I am looking for a tablet, it will be my first real android tablet (I have a kindle fire).

1) Will be used for surfing the web, email, watching movies- The main feature I am looking for is to be able to output video to my TV.

2) I would like a quality tablet as cheap as possible. It dosent have to be the best, but something that can handle watching/streaming HD movies. $100-$300??

3) Something comparable to the ipad so like 10" or so

4) This will be my first android tablet, I have some apple products (iphone, ipad). With computer issues, I can usually figure out the issue and fix it-Just takes me time to play around with it.

5) I am in North Caroina.

Thanks for any help!

5)

binks

Apr 18, 2014
Hi everyone:)
This will be post from the series what to buy.
1) It will be used as an everyday device, nothing too advanced, things like surfing the web, emails, watching movies, listening to music, remote desktop to my pc(now google released Chrome Remote Desktop which will be pretty handy to connect to my home pc, when I'll be in wifi range). Don't need any special outputs like mini hdmi or something. Just standard tablets outputs(micro usb,)
2) I'd like to spend not much, since I'm living in Uk, it'll be around £200 that is roughly 330$
3) I'd like to have 10" tab but since my choice is between Lenovo Yoga and Samsung Galaxy Tab3(10.1" version here is for £230), I'll be forced to get 8" Samsung. As Lenovo has quite unique design and long battery life. I'm not worry about screen resolution since I've hold those 2 devices and it's ok to me.
4) I'm advanced PC user and also had Android based devices for over 10 years(phones)
5) I'm in Uk.
Any advice please?

KitanoEndeym

May 10, 2014
Hello, pleased to meet everyone. This is a great place for me to start as I have not owned a tablet before: I am a graduating high school student and need a tablet for college.
1. slideshow, word processor, spreadsheets,PDFs etc. all the standard stuff for students, it'll be replacing a laptop for a while so being able to access wifi if that isn't standard. Flash would be nice; I stream anime sometimes and might have to use online lectures. probably 8 gigs storage, though that can go up or down
2.it's a graduation present. I've got a decent amount of relatives, so let's go with $500?
3.I don't have any particular size in mind.
4.I know extremely little-nothing about androids.
5.California
A camera is nice but not required.
thank you for your time.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
My first choice would be the Xperia Tablet Z2[FONT=Conv_DagnyOffc]. The waterproof and dustproof Z2 is packed with a 10.1-inch FHD (full high definition) TRILUMINOS display with Live Color LED. The tablet is powered by the brand new Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 chipset (2.3GHz quad-core processor and Adreno 330 graphics) and sports a hefty 3GB of RAM.[/FONT]
[FONT=Conv_DagnyOffc]When it comes to imaging, Sony has elected to use an 8.1 MP Exmor RS rear camera and 2.2 MP front camera. Battery life should be on par with last year’s Xperia Tablet Z, as Sony will use the same 6,000mAh battery. The Xperia Tablet Z2 is available in both black and white. Starting price is [/FONT]$499 from Sony[FONT=Conv_DagnyOffc]USA.[/FONT]

Alyssa323

May 17, 2014
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of buying my first tablet and I am looking for suggestions.

1) I will mostly use the tablet for reading (books, newspaper, etc.), some games, videos, facebook, etc.
2) My budget is $500.
3) I want a tablet that's 10.1 inch and with HDMI output. Currently looking mostly at Samsung and Asus, but open to other brands.
4) I've been using Android for about 4 years and I'm computer literate, considering myself above average.

Thanks everyone for any input!

ETA: I've been doing a lot of research and my top two choices are the ASUS Transformer Pad 10.1 TF701T and Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10.1.

Last edited:

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Normally, I would strongly recommend the Sony Xperia Tablet Z2. However, since it lacks an HDMI port, for some unknown reason, I suggest that you have a look at both the Lenovo Yoga and Samsung GALAXY Tab 3 (10.1 inch version).

loomdog32

Jun 25, 2014
I am looking to get some tablets for POS use. I am looking for
1 - USB port for Barcode Scanner, Keyboard and Mouse
2 - HDMI port (or any other video out for connecting to a montior)

The tablet size is not important as day-to-day usage it will be connected to the devices in a dock style environment.
But if needed, portable when we do on-location events with Barcode Scanner as the only connected device.

I have been able to find tablets with USB. I have also been able to find tablets with HDMI. My main reason for posting here is I need a tablet that has BOTH USB and HDMI! Something with a dock would be awesome!

sonicboom165

Jul 19, 2014
im looking on ebay for irulu tablets for around $85-120
I would like to find one with dual cameras, dual core, high screen quality, and a black front, I would also like to have the usb ports and hdmi port if possible-- micro usb ports would be ok, as long as i can connect my mouse and keyboard at the same time
, i would also like to be able to hook up the tablet to my tv via regular hdmi, i want a 10" but i probly wouldn't care too much if I need to get a 9" one but I would want it to have the same or greater performance.
here is the one im currently looking at. you can search on ebay and its the first one; iRulu 10" Android 4.2 Dual Core Tablet PC A20 1.5GHz 8G/1G Dual Cameras- (Black)
im unsure about this one because i dont know if i will be able to plug in my mouse and keyboard, will an otg cable allow me to hook up both things if i get 2 of them? also it says it has a hdmi jack in the specs but dosnt show it in the pictures. so the question is can this one do what i want? i mainly surf the web,play games, watch videos and movies

Alsark

Sep 8, 2014
How to ask a good question
Tell us:
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
2) how much you are willing to spend
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

So I have finally accrued enough credit card points to pretty much buy any tablet; but before doing so I figured I would gather some input so I don't regret my decision.

1) What I'll be using it for: primarily gaming and movie watching. If it works well I'll probably also download the Citrix Receiver to do work on it and also do school work on it; but neither of these are necessary as I'd probably do these on my computer.

This computer will be at my home 90% of the time. That said, LTE/3G aren't necessary, though WiFi is. Bluetooth would be nice but not a requirement. Battery life doesn't need to be crazy... just enough for a three hour car ride (either gaming or movie-watching). Loud volume is nice... there are so many times I try showing somebody a video on my Galaxy S4 and if it's not dead silent, nobody can hear it.

2) I don't really have a limit... these are all credit card points so I'm not too worried about it. I've been saving these points specifically to get a tablet.

3) No idea... I'm open to suggestions. For gaming/movies, is 10" much better than 7" or 8"? Does it negatively affect battery life much?

4) I'm very computer literate (I work in IT). I have a Galaxy S4 and have been using Androids for awhile.

5) Fort Wayne, Indiana

My eye is currently on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S (not sure if 8.4 or 10.5), but probably just because it's one of the newest... I don't actually know anything about it - or any other tablets, for that matter. So if anybody has some good suggestions that much my criteria in point 1, and can suggest a screen size for me, then I'm all ears (or rather, eyes).

I also want to know if there is anything shortly upcoming that I should maybe hold out on.

Thanks in advance!

sonicpuck

Feb 3, 2011
1 The tablet I need is for my niece she will be using it for teenager type stuff
It's really important that it have a GOOD front facing camera, all the tablets I see on ebay that are low prices have a 0.3 camera, I need better than that

2 I would like it to be under 100 dollars

3 size 7 inch is fine

4 I know a lot about android, I can root, reflash and unbrick android devices I have done this many times. I also repair android devices for extra money...

5 I am on west coast usa near seattle

Mainly my problem is tho I am good with ebay and can find devices and specs easily there is no search I can figure out that will show me devices with higher than 0.3 front facing camera. Putting in 2.0 mp shows me TONS of cameras with 0.3 front facing camera but with 2.0 BACK camera.

Hoping someone here knows of a camera with a better front facing camera than 0.3 that is also sub $100

I would even be willing to take a 4.0 android etc tablet if it at least had a good front facing camera. To my niece this is very important.

I might just buy like a nexus 7 that's used but I would prefer to buy her a new one if anyone knows of a tablet that has a better front camera.

Thanks in advance for any help on this...