The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Android1981

Aug 1, 2013
Hi
Its soon gonna be my first time ever with a tablet with android.
Im gonna buy a myself a cheap one. Probably Acer Iconia Tab B1-A71 8GB.
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
Answer:
* Read pdf
* Tethering with my Iphone
* Rdp to a windows machine
2) how much you are willing to spend
Answer:
Problably about $125
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
Answer: 7-9
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
Answer: Nothing
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Answer Northern Europe

When I google this Im not surprised to see that it is all doable.
But I want to be 100% sure....Am I up for any surprises or is this a go?
Thanks

nbrehm92

Aug 10, 2013
Okay I am hoping this is active and people are actually giving advice... so here it goes.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
I basically want to replace my desktop computer with a tablet. Pretty much I want a laptop in my hand. I want to play games, watch movies, play music, have bluetooth (for keyboards mainly).

2) how much you are willing to spend
I am not going to answer this because I would rather be presented with a variety.

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
Does not matter to me. I have huge hands so I would say it has to be bigger than my Samsung Galaxy S3. Bigger than a Kindle/Nook probably.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
I am new to the phone/tablet scene but computers are my thing. My home computer is custom. Built by myself.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Florida

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi nbrehm, welcome to the forum! I guess if you have big hands, don't mind the price,( bigger tablets are more expensive) and you want to watch movies, you should get a 10" tablet and not a7". As for what kind, since you are in fl you should go to a Best Buy store, where they have most of the most popular tablets and check them out.
Have fun!

Jan 4, 2011
I am a 47 year old, would-be nerd looking to buy a tablet. But this market is so confusing.... I can NOT SLEEP! Wow! There are so many variables! I guess I should resign myself to purchasing three or four of these devices before I find one I like.

My criteria/criterion is what and how many gizmos, that I now carry, that can I replace.

At the moment I carry, in my waist pouch, an mp3 player, a (video)camera, a phone, a flash drive, a map (made of paper), a paperback book(!) , a paper(!) notebook, and in my rucksack a notebook (Panasonic toughbook) PC, and, yes, a full sized keyboard.

I want a tablet that can replace as many of these things as possible.

I am sick of wearing a rucksack. I want everything to fit in my waist/fanny pouch. (as an Englander, I apologize for using the word "fanny")

I started off by wanting to replace the paper.
1) I want an ebook. I looked at Kindle. But I know I would be pissed off with a device that is primarily passive. I want a Kindle app. (I am an amazon addict, so epub will not do)
2) I want a GPS. I get lost. I want to track my bike rides. I looked a garmin etc but why pay 200 USD or more for a garmin (or Holux) GPS when I can get a tablet!? Yeah.
3) I want to take notes, in meetings, in conferences. I have tried the touch screen keyboard in a tablet and I was impressed, but the ability to attach a full sized keyboard when I go to meetings is a major plus. Ha. Hence I need a OTG (what the heck does that mean? On the Go apparently) or Bluetooth keyboard.

I am not sure I can replace any of my gizmos.
1) I am interested in replacing my flash drive. I carry a 64GB flash drive but I could get away with 32GB.
2) I don't think I can replace my camera. I carry a Xacti HD2000 which takes poor stills but good full HD video. I have been hoping for a another device to replace my camera but glass is important. No mobile phone takes good photos in my experience. I was really interested in the Kodak Zi8 which had the form factor (I mean shape) of a tablet but it has been discontinued. Since I can't replace my camera, the ability to view its mpg4 H2.63 videos would be a plus. A not-dead awful camera would help.
3) I don't want to carry a PC (my panny tough book) any more because it is too big. But I do need a full sized keyboard in order to be able to write at the massively fast typing speed that I am now typing at! I want to be able to take simultaneous dictation, that I can almost do with a Panny notebook PC and a keyboard.
4) I am almost sure I can replace my mp3 player but not entirely. My mp3 player is an iRiver that allows me to connect a microphone. Likewise my video camera (aforementioned Sanyo Xacti) also has a microphone jack. Asians are not interested in their voice. I am. I am a logo-phono-centrist. I like making documentaries. I see NO tablets with a microphone jack. I give up.

I wish that there were normal USB ports. I am not sure what OTG means but I don't care. Give me normal USB.

Finally I want robust ease of use
1) Are there no waterproof or even water resistant tablets?! Why not!? Don't these Asians go out? (I cycle all over the place. My waist pouch gets wet)
2) What is the significance of plastic/aluminium cases?
3) Why are all the screens made of glass and are some stronger than others?
4) What is the emphasis on thin? I would be happy with fat. 1.25 cm is fine. 2 cm would be fine.
5) Battery life is important.
6) Weight is utterly insignificant (I am looking to replace a PC)
7) USB charging would help (since I spend my life in front of PCs)

Finally in addition to Kindle, I would like to be able to access Gmail, Blogger, Youtube, Facebook, Yahoo auctions, pdf, doc, excel, ppt

Addendum: I have ordered a SmartQ X7 because it has GPS, is fast and the battery lasts a long time. It is billed as a Nexus 7 beater (cause it has a card slot). I was attracted to the company by the SmartQ U7 tablet with projector! Sadly that did not have GPS. I found these products by searching for a GPS 7 inch tablet and then displaying highest price 1st. I have also ordered a mini HDMI to VGA adapter so I'll be able to use my table for simple powerpoint or web presentations.

Cs

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Zallomallo

Aug 14, 2013
I am looking to buy a tablet for college! Thank you for your help!
OS: I don't have a preference really. Not the biggest fan of iOS, but if it's the snappiest and/or best, then I'm okay with that. I like Windows, as it can, well, play windows applications! I like the way that android looks.
Size: Preferably 10 inches or bigger!
Use: Accessing text-books over e-book, browsing the internet, playing some games, and writing papers. I would like a tablet that is very snappy when reading content-heavy .pdf's. I already have a desktop computer to do the majority of writing, as well as computer labs, but I would like to have a tablet with the capability of going somewhere cool with my friends to write a paper.
Connectivity: I just need something with a solid wifi antenna, we have that campus-wide.
Price: I'm looking for a premium device to last a while, so I am willing to spend a lot of money.
Thank you guys so much for your help!

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Hi, Zallomallo.

Welcome to the Forum.

The Sony Xperia Z would be my first choice. It has the best viewing experience, by far. Remarkably vivid colors that will really impress your classmates.

Cheers.
Ed

guitarpete987

Aug 18, 2013
Hello! I'm new to this forum.

I've been in the market for a new tablet but seeing as I've got two kids my budget is not large. I have been very interested in the ASUS Memo Pad HD 7, which had just come out, but I really would like a 10 inch tablet.

Insignia Flex 10.1" Tablet with 16GB Memory NS-14T004 - Best Buy

Has anyone heard anything about this new Insignia Flex 10.1 from Best Buy? I tried it out at the store and it seems like a GREAT buy. I can't find ANY reviews online, hardly even any promotional pre-release stuff.

Basically, this seems like it has everything I liked about the Memo pad HD 7, except in a 10 incher, and the price is REAL nice.

Does anyone have any insight?

vicfal12

Aug 28, 2013
Hi,

I am looking to buy a cheap tablet between 8" and 9", preferably 8". I would like to use it mostly for browsing the internet, reading and the occasional game. I would not like to spend more than $150, so I am aiming for a budget tablet, most probably the chinese android tablets. I really am getting confused as to what to buy! Most of them have a screen resolution of 1024x768, which I am not sure if it is fine and clear. Also, regarding the specs of the CPU and GPU, I am not sure what I should be looking out for. I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me!

LiorP

Aug 29, 2013

Hello, I hope you could help me find the tablet I need.
First of all the tablet will be used for Internet mainly, watching videos online reading articles playing puzzle games and watch movies, therefore i think 10 inch tablet is the best for me(or 8-7 could be better for movies?).
WIFI/BLUETOOTH/GPS/FLASH are all needed for me.
Im willing to sped between 300-500$.
I think the size of the tablet is the issue. I want to watch movies and tv series
on my table via internet or downloading and than transforming. in additon high space is really imporant for me , at least 32 GB with an stora expantion option.
I own an HTC ONE X and i searched alot before buying it(when it was new)i understand the tablet detailes and i know which are better.

I just want the tablet to be NEW AND MODERN with high tech details, good ram and good
Processor which will meet the requierments of future apps.
And if possible, a decent camera than can at least take normal quaility photos.

In my country tablets are expensive, but I asked from family to buy in USA so i guess all usa shops work.

Hope you can help me.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Hi, LiorP.

Welcome to the Forum.

Sony’s history with top end TVs is immediately evident, with the Xperia Tablet Z carrying itself similarly and using a widescreen aspect ratio. The bezel around the display is relatively thin, but it hasn’t been eradicated too much so as to compromise grip, something all the more important on a larger tablet. At 495g you might think it’s a cumbersome beast, but Sony’s efforts at slimming it down and balancing things out mean it’s quite comfortable to operate and gives the illusion of being lighter than it actually is.
The device features plenty of Sony’s now-signature Xperia accents, including an angular shape, silver trim, a round power button and a panelled design along the edges. It looks seriously smart.
As well as being visually sharp, the Xperia Tablet Z also pulls off another of Sony’s recently adopted calling cards, namely the waterproofing. The slate has full IP57 certification for dust and water proofing and is water resistant. Sony say you can put it underwater safely up to a depth of one metre and have promotional material showing it under a tap on full blast. Don’t expect to be able to operate it when wet, however, as capacitive touchscreens don’t pick up touch input very well under such conditions. At the very least you can read webpages in the bath without worrying.
Again, Sony’s TV expertise comes into play with the display, which is a 10.1-inch LCD panel featuring the company’s Mobile Bravia Engine 2 for enriched colour and contrast. Image quality is sharp thanks to a 1920x1200 pixel resolution at 244ppi.
The Xperia Tablet Z excels when it comes to storage, sporting both microSD support for cards up to 64GB and either 16GB or 32GB of onboard space. Rewardingly, the Xperia Tablet Z also has stereo speakers with 3D surround sound.
The processor is a 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro quad-core chip with 2GB of RAM and an Adreno 320 GPU. Performance is suitably rapid and you can expect the tablet to keep the pace up with most Android tasks, whether that’s gaming, browsing or multimedia.
On the connectivity front Sony doesn’t disappoint with a comprehensive suite including MHL TV-out, NFC, microUSB, Bluetooth, FM Radio, GPS, Wi-Fi (plus Hotspot), DLNA, optional 4G LTE and HSPA+ 3G mobile data capability and an infrared blaster for TV control. The battery is a 6,000mAh setup.
Unusually for a tablet, particularly one of this size, the Xperia Tablet Z has a half-decent camera setup with an 8.1-megapixel Exmor R rear-facing camera with 1080p full HD video capture, HDR, continuous burst, panoramic capture, face and smile detection, touch focus and Sony’s Superior Auto mode. A 2.2-megapixel camera on the front also provides good video calling capabilities.

wecaz

Oct 4, 2013
Friends,
I am looking for a tablet to replace an old laptop. This will be my first tablet purchase. Please advice.

• The tablet will be used to read emails, webpages, read/write .doc files, read .pdf files, Skype, music playback and youtube.
  • The screen should be large atleast 10'' with large buttons.
  • Touch screen should be responsive.
  • Connectivity with 2G(EDGE, GPRS), 3G and WiFi ALL are required.
  • Optional, USB (On the go).
  • microSD card support.

Should I prefer Android over Windows?

The closest match is Lenovo Idea Tab S6000 Tablet. Is anyone using this tablet? It is a little stretch of my budget. But I can increase budget to buy this Lenovo if it can last for at least 3 years with the above mentioned usage. Is this too much to ask for?

Other option is Huawei Mediapad 10 Link, but it lacks USB - OnTheGo feature and Camera is bad.

Is there any other tablet that can serve the purpose?

Thanks.

Last edited:

burboss

Nov 11, 2013
sorry for my bad englis (i am italian ,help me google translation)

my doughter would this APPen Giochi Preziosi
in the spec there are:
The app is compatible with all devices with an operating system of ANDROID 4 (or higher), a touch screen and a combined audio and microphone system, which are needed to activate the function of pressure sensitivityi am unemploied for 2 years and the tablet compatible is more expensive for me.
can anyone know a chinese tablet very inexpensive with thes feature?
thank you

tess1977

Nov 18, 2013
Hello! Need some expert help! I would like to get my husband a tablet for his upcoming birthday. I have been doing some research but have come to the conclusion that it's all more than I can handle so I'm hoping I can get some suggestions here!

We each currently have the Samsung Galaxy Note II. We have had Android phones since they first came out. My daughter has a Kindle Fire HD (which I'm not all that thrilled with). So we are familiar with the technology but not to the point of rooting so I'd prefer not to do that. He wants a larger screen so the 10. somethings would be good. He would be using it for surfing the web, watching videos, sports, playing games and possibly listening to some music. May take some pictures and videos with it but nothing big. I'm looking to spend no more than $400. We are located in WI. Hoping for quick replies! Thank you for your help!

wecaz

Oct 4, 2013
Hello! Need some expert help! I would like to get my husband a tablet for his upcoming birthday. I have been doing some research but have come to the conclusion that it's all more than I can handle so I'm hoping I can get some suggestions here!

We each currently have the Samsung Galaxy Note II. We have had Android phones since they first came out. My daughter has a Kindle Fire HD (which I'm not all that thrilled with). So we are familiar with the technology but not to the point of rooting so I'd prefer not to do that. He wants a larger screen so the 10. somethings would be good. He would be using it for surfing the web, watching videos, sports, playing games and possibly listening to some music. May take some pictures and videos with it but nothing big. I'm looking to spend no more than $400. We are located in WI. Hoping for quick replies! Thank you for your help!

I bought Lenovo Idea Tab S6000 Tablet and I am happy with it. I am not sure about your connectivity and gaming needs. Try to consider this.

kbpipes

Feb 25, 2011
Hey guys I am looking to buy a new tablet. I really feel like I am stuck. I have owned 5 android tablets in the past, and 5 android phones. Currently I own a Nook color, Nook HD+, Asus TF300. One of the problems I have faced is the difficulty I have with printing from applications. Understandably things have come a long way. I print a document or email at least daily from my TF300. My wife found the whole process of opening another app to print from to be very combersome. She has to save PDF and other documents from emails to the device then print them. Or copy information from the body of an email then paste it into a document to print.

When one of our phones died we decided to purchase 2 iPhone 5c's mainly for this reason. The ability to print from email has really been nice. I do miss using Android. I really am a big fan of google and their software. Many aspects of Android are missed. Especially the application folder.

So I am in the market for a new tablet. At this time it is not a replacement for my TF300, but for my wife. I really like the Nexus 7. I like everything about it, and am coming close to purchasing it this weekend. On the other hand I am looking at the new iPad mini with retna. With LTE wireless it is something like $600. It is a hard pill to swallow just for ease of printing. Still I doubt my wife would really use the Nexus 7 because of her issue with printing from mail. So on the other hand a nexus 7 paper weight is by far the most expensive :)

So what do you guys think? Is android any closer to have a print function like in iOS? I know google cloud print is handy. It is a considerable improvement. I just don't understand how something like printing is omitted from the OS. For work and school is seems so very important. At least it is for us.

So any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: