The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks for the feedback xaueious. I'm getting pretty close to choosing, and your Archos70 recommendation looks good. I'd actually probably have bought one already, except the first 6 (yes, literally 6) places I looked were all out of stock. Also noticed that the 101 isn't much more money, and so am considering it too. I don't mind a little tech work, and actually DO think it's fun, but want to avoid too much of it, because I could let it suck me in and not get anything else done if I weren't careful -- heck, I've blown most of today reading this forum ;)

I've narrowed it down to three other Android 2.2 competitors or the ~$275 Archos: The $190 Witstech A81E, the $185 Herotab-M802/Apad, and the ~$250 Herotab-C8/Dropad-A8 and would love to hear your opinions on them. The whole lot is spanned by $90 so price is not an overwhelming factor. Would just like to know the best, most reliable choice, with the only hard requirement being that I can get the full google experience and marketplace and gmail tool. Ideally built in (worth extra $$ for me) or at least not too brutally painful to obtain.

Would love to hear your (or anyones) input, and thanks again for your time (I've been moderating a particular motorcycle forum for >11 years now, and know it can be a lot of work - so THANKS!!!)

totouch

Jan 11, 2011
from my poking around i would suggest you take a look at the herotab 816 as well...? (i'm just a noob .... but i had considered a number of the tablets that you've listed...)

Thanks for the feedback xaueious. I'm getting pretty close to choosing, and your Archos70 recommendation looks good. I'd actually probably have bought one already, except the first 6 (yes, literally 6) places I looked were all out of stock. Also noticed that the 101 isn't much more money, and so am considering it too. I don't mind a little tech work, and actually DO think it's fun, but want to avoid too much of it, because I could let it suck me in and not get anything else done if I weren't careful -- heck, I've blown most of today reading this forum ;)

I've narrowed it down to three other Android 2.2 competitors or the ~$275 Archos: The $190 Witstech A81E, the $185 Herotab-M802/Apad, and the ~$250 Herotab-C8/Dropad-A8 and would love to hear your opinions on them. The whole lot is spanned by $90 so price is not an overwhelming factor. Would just like to know the best, most reliable choice, with the only hard requirement being that I can get the full google experience and marketplace and gmail tool. Ideally built in (worth extra $$ for me) or at least not too brutally painful to obtain.

Would love to hear your (or anyones) input, and thanks again for your time (I've been moderating a particular motorcycle forum for >11 years now, and know it can be a lot of work - so THANKS!!!)

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks. I'm adding that and the Color Nook, which seems to have the nicest screen on the group (anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) to my considerations. So much for narrowing :)

ministeve2003

Jan 23, 2011
@ministeve2003
Oh they work alright. But they are a handful. Not everyone wants to deal with that sort of thing.

ahh, I get it... Ok, Lets say I'm in the select few that doesn't mind tinkering, reflashing Firmware...bricking my device...etc...

What Things should I look for in an unbrand tablet...

800x480 - 800x600?
256-512mb?
min processor speed for movies?

basically the movies I'll be playing are 720x480 30fps or less (700mb-1.2gb) and I can if needs be convert to mp4...

should I be looking at the A8 tablets with android 2.2?

SK

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@Shino
I do not know what to tell you about an unreleased tablet yet, but for me personally, it would not be worth it.

@boneless
The Zenithink ZT180 (both versions) is pretty much the defacto standard for a cheap 10-inch tablet. Overall cost should be under $200. I do not consider these things well built or high quality. The lowest you should probably go with is the Archos 101 IT if you are consider a professional environment.

@Tweener
That budget is too low for something that works well out of the box. You probably should reconsider your budget, or your choice for an Android tablet as a gift. Honestly I do not know what tablets you have available for a lower end device. There is the Disgo 6000, but I would not give it away as a gift to a typical 16 year old girl.

@lclifton618
You do not buy an Android tablet for school work. You need a netbook.

@tmitchell
I think all of them, but only if you pay the most expensive shipping. But there is a high chance of being disappointed with either the product or the shipping methods. Stick with local methods. $50 for DHL is expected, because it is close to what it costs to ship.

@rogand
The Archos 70 works well out of the box. The Nook Color is much more upgradable and has better hardware, but needs more work to be modified to a workable state. The shanzhai tablets are buggy. It does not make much sense for anyone but Android or electronics enthusiasts.

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Well, a chance encounter in a restaurant line means I just happened to lay my hands on a helpful young lady's nook. Wow, excellent hardware and screen. So nice that I stayed up late last night after I got home and read the _entire_ color nook section of this forum, and am already on it again this morning. May have to blow through a Sunday. I need to review it all again less tired, but I think I should be able to get the rooting done ok. Less sure about ability to handle getting 2.2 on there, but am going to go read some more now. I have an urge to take my laptop to a local B&N, buy the NC, and do it on the spot in their cafe? Realistic?
Thanks again so much for the help so far.

Makav3ll1

Jan 30, 2011
Im looking for a tablet.

Tell us:
1) Ill be using it for daily use, like my laptop, but its more mobile so its easier to use. Looking for it to have android market, flash isnt really a big issue. 1GHZ, 512 Ram, Front facing camera possibly. Android 2.2 definitely.
2) Willing to spend 200-300
3) 10"
4) I have an android phone. So i know all about android.
5) United States, NY.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
If you must get something, your only choices in this price range are:

Archos 101 IT
Refurbished Viewsonic gTablet (if you can locate one)

Just stating the processor clockspeed is not indicative of performance, as we have CPUs of different architectures.

Makav3ll1

Jan 30, 2011
If you must get something, your only choices in this price range are:

Archos 101 IT
Refurbished Viewsonic gTablet (if you can locate one)

Just stating the processor clockspeed is not indicative of performance, as we have CPUs of different architectures.

I heard some bad things about the archos, like how it is really slow. Plus 256 ram =/ Is there really such a difference with 512 and 256

TabletUser

Jan 30, 2011
I was interested in the Archos 70. It got good reviews but from what I read, a Galaxy Tab was a better choice if money was no object. I didn't get the gtab because I want 4g. Hopefully the moto xoom will deliver.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@Makav3ll1 I can't count the number of apps you can have before you feel the lag, because each is designed differently. Most of the time it wont make a big difference. The gTablet can be much faster.

Bottomline: Grab the 101 if you want vendor commitment and do not want to tinker, and perhaps more streamlined video support. Otherwise the gTablet is a clear win.

Makav3ll1

Jan 30, 2011
@Makav3ll1 Grab the 101 if you want vendor commitment and do not want to tinker. Otherwise the gTablet is a clear win.

I dont want to spend so much on the gtablet, I kinda want a semi cheap just home tablet. The thing with the archos is even tho its 300, ive seen alot of ePads and aPads for 300 and have 512 ram over archos' 256. I kinda dont want to trust the Chinese pads tho.