The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

emisnug

Mar 10, 2011
@xaueious - I've taken myself on with the challenge - a 14.2 inch (diagonal) screen, 1.5Ghz Snapdragon processor (dual core) 2Gb RAM, capacitive screen, proper USB and HDMI ports, large speakers adn a 12MP digital camera like you see in Canon Cybershots. 12.7mm thick :) any ideas what else? I've got massive Solidworks files on it but i don't know how to change em into JPEG's for y'all to have a look

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@Shortzzz The best import you can get without risking support is the Advent Vega readily available from the UK (€250). For some reason, they are tend to be more expensive elsewhere in Europe, in the Point of View Mobii Tegra (starting from €300 incl. BTW, and even higher). If something goes wrong, you can return it.
Point of View Mobii TEGRA Tablet 10.2" prijzen - Goedkope tablet KIESKEURIG

As for Chinese tablets, there is a Samsung capacitive tablet around your budget you would want to look into that goes by the name of Dropad A8 or Haipad M7. The main issue with these is an unidentifed manufacturer, resulting in sporatic firmware updates, if at all. There are still software issues with the device, making it difficult to recommend.

@emisnug Actually, recalling some news Atmel announced large tablet devices at MWC 2011 in development. So you might want to hit them up if you are serious. 2GB of RAM is quite impractical for Android right now. I think a tablet with your specs could easily cost more than $1000. The Android operating system and the apps are not going to be up to par for a device with such a large screen size, when apps are designed for 3.5-inch screens. We can scale up all the hardware we want, but the software is isn't there yet, so there will be no market for that until Honeycomb settles in for a bit longer, and Qualcomm has AOSP Honeycomb ready for their SoC.

Mar 14, 2011
I am in a predicament trying to figure out which I should buy: the Nook Color or the Samsung Galaxy Tab (Wifi Only)...

1) I am essentially looking for a good e-reader so I was initially going to buy the Nook Color, but I started to think that it would be a bonus to have Adobe Flash, play videos and games, and have access to the Android marketplace as I would if I bought the Galaxy Tab.
2) I am willing to spend up to the price of the Galaxy Tab at Wifi Only ($400), but would definetly prefer to spend less.
3) I really like the size of the Galaxy Tab. The Nook Color seems to be around the same size. Personally, I think that the size is perfect for carrying around with me. I have a very busy life; I work in an office and I am a college student so that size is essential for me since I am always on the go.
4) I am pretty computer savvy and own a home a home PC, a MacBook Pro, and an HTC Incredible so I am very familiar with the Android OS. Rumor has it that the Galaxy Tab WIfi Only model will still have Froyo, but that matters little to me. I have also read many articles and watched videos about rooting a Nook Color, but I'm not how I feel about voiding my warranty although the results seem a little tempting.
5) I live in Syracuse, New York

I really just want a really good device where I can read books and use for leisure. Although I am now leaning more so towards the Galaxy Tab Wifi model, I still wanted to seek advice and the opinions of others to aid me in making my choice.

Thank you in advance,

Miranda

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@mariposanegra17
You have all of those features with the Nook Color except for video, where you would be required to re-encode most of it. As for the rest, you just have to work for it. If you consider yourself computer savvy, you have no reason not to get the Nook Color to save yourself some money.

Mar 14, 2011
@mariposanegra17
You have all of those features with the Nook Color except for video, where you would be required to re-encode most of it. As for the rest, you just have to work for it. If you consider yourself computer savvy, you have no reason not to get the Nook Color to save yourself some money.

Good point :)

Kay

Feb 24, 2011
I have been reading through this thread but haven't seen someone else asking for exactly what I am yet (well I have twice actually, but both were wanting it for a very low price so didn't get a answer that had everything)... I'll update this if I do. thanks in advance for help. unless I'm dense and missed it (totally possible) no one else has asked for the exact same thing. thanks again for help.

How to ask a good question

Tell us:
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

Adobe Flash
Android Market (google- legal)
support downloading most ebook files
support documents to go (or something similar) to view pdfs, power points, excel and word documents.
camera to post pics to threads/ scan codes on sites & products would be nice
Microphone, speaker, headphone jack
from a reputable company that won't screw us around if it messes up
and in light of that- has a reasonable warranty =)
at least a few hours of active battery life
I have a 16 micro right now, but would like a tablet that can take up to a 32- however this is sacrificable if a significantly cheaper tablet can do everything else I want and only takes up to 16.

2) how much you are willing to spend

Willing to spend several hundred but obviously would like the cheapest option that fits our needs.

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be

we bought an augen (our first experience with tablets- not a good one) that size was nice the 7" by ~5" or so. I would like to be able to put it in a holder in my purse in place of my date book- so don't want it to be too large. If nothing fits our needs that size though I'll sacrifice size for functionality

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

nothing really about android but pretty computer literate =) I have no worries about being able to find my way around whatever device I get or making it to do whatever I want it to do if at all possible... by whatever means needed to do so =) That said- the less I have to do with it the better. Also, I don't want to have to be downloading things to my computer to get them on the device- I'd much rather be able to download stuff direct. I would like something with an established dev community....

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

Not sure if it's in my profile- I'm in a city in Missouri and have most the stores/options available somewhere nearby.

thanks for your help

Last edited:

Kay

Feb 24, 2011
I was talking to my husband and he was saying he was looking at the blackberry playbook looking like it might be the way to go for what I want. But it doesn't come out til april.... which I guess isn't too far away really. anything similar already on the market. does the blackberry meet all my needs (see reply two above this one). thanks again

frazmarti

Mar 15, 2011
Freescale IMX515 8" Android 2.2 Froyo tablet with 512MB DDR2 RAM and fully working Flash 10.1 worth £80?

thanks

JetBlackStealth6687

Mar 15, 2011
Thanks guys, what a great thread. This is my first post and this is the correct place, so it seems to post my question.

Im looking for a "seamless" tablet solution to do the following:

• 10" display
  • I dont need anyG connectivity (no thanks, ATT, etc...)
  • I need WiFi connectivity with which I could connect at home
  • I need WiFi connectivity with which I could connect on a Mobile WiFi hotspot off of my mobile phone
  • Id like a relatively new OS...what # is HoneyComb? if the latest Android is 2.2, then is Honeycomb 2.3? noob question, I know

Thanks again!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@Kay If you want a tablet with a legal version of Android market, the cheapest available that I can recommend for you is the Samsung Galaxy Tab. It will work well out of the box with all your needs.

There are less expensive tablets have working Google applications including Google Market, but none of them are legal. Your best choice is the Nook Color, since you consider yourself computer literate. It does not have a camera. If you want a camera, you could try the eLocity A7, which sacrifices the screen quality and mulitouch. The development community is better on the NOok Color, but the hardware is faster on the eLocity A7. These alternatives will take probably a couple of hours to research and setup for initially.

I can't comment on the Playbook right now.

@frazmarti It is worth that much, but you get what you pay for.

@JetBlackStealth6687 Motorola Xoom

Kay

Feb 24, 2011
thank you! since price is comparable (or is rumored to be) I think I'm gonna keep the galaxy in mind and wait for the playbook to come out and see what that ends up being like before actually buying one or the other. If the playbook is lacking something then grab the galaxy instead. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Ichigo7

Mar 16, 2011
here is what i'm looking for =)

1. 7" for the screen. Nice size to travel with and cool for watching vids. would be nice if it can play .avi files if not, plenty of programs that can convert that format.

2. Needs to be able to handle Office documents, pdf files and also the ability to read comic books.

3. Honestly I never seen the big difference in the android OS department but I heard anything 2.2 and up will recieve flash support, if this is true then cool beans, if not...eh.

4. 3G, WiFi connectivity are necessary also being able to connect to a bluetooth.

5. I'd like at least 4GB internal storage that is expandable.

6. USB 2.0 connection, HDMI is cool but doesn't really matter.

7. $300 is the price.

8. Also able to play games such as Angry Birds. I don't know any 3d games I'll want to play but if I really wanted a gaming rig I'll just get a psp(currently doing fine without it lol)

I was doing research on the Huawei Ideos S7 Slim that's coming out next month and I figured with these specs that this tablet is exactly what I'm looking for. If there is anything else around this price range let me know.

Last edited:

blando233

Mar 15, 2011
Hey guys so I am new at this place have some questions. I am looking for an android tablet for around the house. I am looking for just wifi I don't want to go through like sprint or anything like that. Be using it for searching web, videos, ebooks that's about it really. Any suggestions thanks and price range id say 300. Thanks!

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App