The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

tiffmc

Mar 16, 2011
Hi there, thanks so much for having this very useful thread. I currently have a rooted Coby 7015 but I don't like how it keeps locking up when accessing different apps and accessing the network, and I never liked the sensitivity of the screen on the home page (it's too sensitive and chooses things while you were scrolling). I am looking to replace it with something less than $250 and would like the following:

preferably 7" (higher is fine though) nicely built (not cheap plastic)
capacitative screen would be nice
pretty fast processor (in my price range)
great for movies
WIFI, USB, bluetooth (would be nice), camera (would be nice)
decent internal memory but also expandable memory (micro SD is fine)
can install flash
plays Angry Birds and other games
able to view/hear books (Adobe EPUB eBooks, OverDrive WMA) and read them outside
GPS enabled

I live in the midwest. Thanks so much for your input.

Stevie

Mar 14, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
Browsing (Flash, too), watching videos, a bit of gaming, Evernote, taking pictures and recording videos would be great but I don't expect that from any non-Android 3 device at the moment...
GPS and UMTS would be nice to have (when traveling) but is not urgently needed. I guess one can use an additional USB device for that?

2) how much you are willing to spend
400-500€

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
10", a resolution higher than 1024 would be great but then again, there aren't many devices, yet...

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
I would call myself advanced, love to hack stuff as soon as I get it.

5) Please list your location somewhere.
Germany

At the moment I'm looking at the Advent Vega and the Toshiba Folio 100.
I know both have their disadvantages. But I heard the Folio is quite usable with
a mod. Furthermore it has a replaceable battery, which I like very much.
Of course one of the new Toshiba or Samung Honeycombs would be great, but I fear
they will be at the same price range as the Xoom.

Thankful for any advice.

Best,

Stevie

JetBlackStealth6687

Mar 15, 2011
@JetBlackStealth6687 Motorola Xoom

Are you obligated to buy a mobilephone plan for it?

if $600 is the price @B&HPhoto (for example) then is there a comparably featured other brand tablet one could find for ~$300? Im thinkin, Velocity Micro, ASUS, Viewsonic, etc...

Last edited:

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
Okay... I've seen the buzz going on about the "sales" on the Sylvania 7" and the Craig 7" at CVS and I've been considering them. So I thought I'd ask here if one is suggested over the other, or if there's a better suggestion than either.

My needs...

First and foremost, price. $100 +/-$20 I know, don't expect much, and I don't, but quite frankly, I'm pretty low on funds right now and I don't need much from it anyhow. If I was going to (or could for that matter) spend more than $100 on anything remotely computer like, I'd buy a netbook or something larger.

Usage: Pretty much web surfing and documents with some media play. For documents, I'm mainly looking at PDFs. I'm a table-top gamer more than a video gamer, so RPGNow.com/DriveThruRPG are some of my favorite sites and they publish mostly in PDF file formats. I'd like the option of the nook/kindle software, but I don't need it. I've had my Behold II for over a year now and I think I've had those readers on it for a total of two weeks time off and on. So PDF's and the occasion word doc are my main concerns. I also want something with decent video playback (not worried about HD-quality, but don't want stuttering/skipping) and audio. I'll probably listen to music more than watching videos to be honest. HDMI output isn't a concern mainly cause I don't have a HD TV right now so it wouldn't be used anyhow. A decent amount of storage would be nice for documents, pictures, music, etc. Oh, and mentioning pictures, not worried if it doesn't have a camera. USB support for thumb/flash drives would be really nice, but not required. WIFI is important. 5"-7" screen sizes are perfect. I'm looking for something bigger than the screen on my phone, but still small enough to fit in my book bag or cargo pockets.

Android Version: I'm not horrible worried about this as much as others might be. I've been pretty happy with my Behold II and it only has 1.6. I'd like something with 2.1 or 2.2 and the possibility of Adobe Flash someday, but it's not uber important to me. I've gone this long without Flash, I can go longer.

Location: I live in Tampa, FL and work in St.Pete/Clearwater. Brandon, FL and Riverview, FL are also nearby, and Lakeland, FL isn't too far though not preferred (45 minute drive).

kreefreaza

Nov 26, 2010
Hi all! Love the forum, I check the updates every day. Thanks for all the hard work you guys do!

I currently have a DROID Incredible. What I'm looking for is a tablet version of my phone. Minus the data plan. Something that runs smoothly but won't kill my checking account. A forward facing camera would be cool, but isn't necessary. Definitely don't need another rear camera...kinda pointless ya know? I can follow instructions, so as long as i have them, modding isn't a problem for me. Currently I'm rooted, so one I could root would be nice too. Charlotte, NC is where I live..not sure why that's important though lol.

lonestar

Mar 16, 2011
I am considering a tablet, but not sure which way to go. I am at ground zero because I need a new main computer, either desktop or laptop, and then a truly mobile device.

I want a tablet that can be somewhat productive: e.g. run word/excel/spreadsheets for work, be able to connect to a projector, as I am a Pre-K teacher and we are getting Infocus projectors and document cameras. I would like to connect so I can display children's ebooks.

I need one that is indestructable and easier to use for my wife, or can get an otterbox like case. She is iPhoner and thinks it's great because it's simple; I will NOT get her an iPad because she has had 2 phone crashes and am disgusted with Apple; from itunes, to products to their lockeddown approach to EVERYTHING!!!!:mad:

I am more careful, so mine does not need to be built like a tank; but needs to meet my work usage goals, plus be able to store and show movies and videos as we travel a LOT and often to places w/o cable tv.

I am an android user, have a Samsung Captivate, and love it. I am not total techwiz, but was able to root it, and am not affraid to root a new tablet if need be.

I am thinking of a rooted nook color for my wife because otterbox is planning a case, and ????? for me. She would use it for surfing, facebook, games, ebooks, infotainment. I want mine for work, and all the fun stuff too, so would like something with the ability to dock and/or use a physical keyboard like the Asus Transformer. I want something 7-10in so easier on my eyes, but still ultra portable; so leaning towards 7 in. Wifi only is fine, as we both have data plans on phones and we can tether with my phone in a pinch.

What is the best solution for us??? Thanks in advance

I am not afraid to root

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
7" Version
Check Elocity A7 at Elocitynow.com It has True 1080p video output and has full HDMI slot, Same processor as new Xoom by Motorola, Dual Core A( Processor. $299.00 at Shopnbc.com ,sale price with 5 payments of 59.95 ,0%interest!

10" Version
The new Elocity A10 Specs are below , just click it. Best Screen resolution of any Android Tablet made today!
Its $399/$429 View attachment 1675 at Tigerdirect.com.(Preorder)

Last edited:

cmscritic

Mar 17, 2011
I'm considering getting a Notion Ink Adam. I found a guy in Canada who has one for sale. I've heard good things. I'm able to decide between it and the Motorola xoom but the Xoom seems overpriced and has far less ports. The ink appears to have tons of ports and has been well received so far. Thoughts?

JetBlackStealth6687

Mar 15, 2011
I like the earlier suggestion of the WiFi only Xoom ($600). Thats still a bit pricey for its used for (notebook lite). Maybe a nice alternative is Pioneer Computer's Dreambook ePad H10 HD?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@Ichigo7 I really doubt they are going to price the S7 Slim at $300 flat. You should get the Galaxy Tab instead, beacause you are not going to be happy reading documents in portait on the S7 if that is one of your priorities. The video support is also much weaker on the S7. None of these give you a full USB port.

@blando233 Archos 70 IT sounds about right.

@tiffmctiffmc You are really limited with that budget. The Nook Color is the best compromise, but you need to do more research... Hopefully that points you in the right direction.

@Stevie I think the Advent Vega is a better buy than the Folio right now for the price.

@Rrok007 Between the two, you could pickup the Craig. It will do a less than you think because it is a bit on the slow side. At least it has custom firmware.

@kreefreaza You could probably get the Archos 70 IT for the front camera. Nook Color if you are the type to install firmware by yourself.

@lonestarlonestar One Nook Color for the wife sounds good. You probably want something with a Tegra 2 in it for yourself just for kicks and the video out capability. That leaves you with either the eLocity or the gTablet for a mid-priced device, or a wifi Xoom if you want to get something for the higher-end.

@cmscritic The Viewsonic gTablet is an alternative to look into if you want local support. I do not think the Notion Ink has IC approval either.
Viewsonic » Online Canada

@JetBlackStealth6687 If price is really a concern, Viewsonic gTablet or the eLocity A10 are your local alternatives. Do not smuggle a clone over what you can get locally.

Mezzavo

Mar 17, 2011
Wow...Xaueious...I've been reading and reading...you are the MAN!!!!

You are all going to laugh...but here is what I need a tablet to do...browse the web and handle FARMVILLE!! It's for my wife...what can I say. So far I've perused the Archos models (have been reading zero good about their support of any kind), Coby models...problem...no word on the release of the 7025 and am hearing the same about their tech support. Thanks to this thread the eLocity A7.

I need to know how all these stack up against each other when doing FARMVILLE (seriously this is what my wife will use it for. he he he he) I also would like to stay under $300 if at all possible. 7" screen is the size I want...Help! Thanks folks!

Ichigo7

Mar 16, 2011
@xaueious thanks i'll def look into the galaxy tab. i played with it when it first came out so time to head back to best buy and have a go at it again, thanks once again...peace!

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
@Rrok007 Between the two, you could pickup the Craig. It will do a less than you think because it is a bit on the slow side. At least it has custom firmware.

Unfortunately, after reading this I have discovered that the Craig is not available in my area. I've noticed that if fokls are willing to look in the $150 price range, you seem to be recommending the Coby Kryos 7015... would that hold true here, or do you think I should just stay at the price point I'm at and go with the Sylvania instead? I hate to say it but cost really is a factor and I'm not looking for the tablet to do much for me.