The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Not sure about the tablet that you mentioned, but take a look at the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 10" Tablet. It has everything you mentioned, and more - Honeycomb (Android 3.0) Operating system, Tegra 2 Dual Core CPU, IPS Capacitive Display (IPS gives almost 180 degrees of perfect viewing angle), SD readers, a full-out GPS, and - yes, it has a Camera. And it comes to $400. Its actually just being released in the US (on the 26th of April).

I was seriously considering it myself, but as you can see in my above post I'm looking for a 7-8" tablet - not a 10".

Hope that helps!

caitlin215

Apr 21, 2011
Hi!
ok so I would love to buy my boyfriend a tablet for his birthday. I dont have a lot to spend like up to $200 is the preferred amount (I would go to $250 if i absoultly had to)
I want him to be able to watch movies, check email, surf the web, listen to music, use the kindle app, access the android marketplace, have flash, an sd slot...
He would prefer a capacitive screen, front facing camera, and maybe gps (not mandatory)
and definatly wifi only.
Also, he travels a lot so a good battery life is very important.
He really liked the galaxy but we dont need the extra bill associated with the data plans and it looks like the wifi only one is going to come in over my price range :(
Thanks!!

ratebeer

Apr 22, 2011
Thanks. But the A7 has no GPS as robjrock requested.

Do you know if it would hand mobile wireless by USB (verizon)?

byk1997

Apr 22, 2011
Hey looking for a tablet,

Requirements-Froyo, no 2.2 or below
Requirement-Capacitive multitouch, for gaming
It would need to be quite snappy, fast web browsing, maybe a proccessor anywhere from 800mhz+, Cortex a8 is good
A webcam would be nice
Support for 3d games Preferably, I'd like the android market to be preinstalled
I'd like it to be a web browsing, gaming tablet, multimedia
It should support games like, asphalt, NOVA, fruit ninja, angry birds, tank hero, etc...
Of course, it should have wifi b/g is fine
As for 3g or bluetooth, I don't care
I would like to watch hd movies via micro sd
And flash support for online streaming videos
I'm willing to spend up to about 230 USD

Thanks!

TablePants

Apr 24, 2011
Mornin'.

I've been shopping around for a tablet to fit some very specific needs, and I'm not sure that the perfect tablet exists.
So here I am, looking for some advice from those more experienced than I.
I'm going off to a seasonal job in a rural area (camp) for 3+ months. Wifi will be available, cell phone signal will not. I'd like a tablet to keep me occupied in my time off.
  • Mainly, I need something to browse internet sites, Flash compatibility, MP3 playing and generic game apps. GPS would be a big plus since I'll be off away from real civilization.
  • Ideally, this tablet would be less than $300. I can shop around for different prices, so this isn't a firm decision.
  • I feel pretty strongly that I need 5" or less. I'll be surrounded by high-school age kids who will see a shiny electronic device and may want to steal or vandalize, so I'd like it to be fairly small and discreet, easily fitting in to a pocket. 7" may be too big. I can't say for sure. (Unlocked Android Phone may be a better option than tablet?)
  • I've never owned an Android device, but I know that Android is versatile, pretty, flexible and all-around the best option for mobile entertainment. I'm looking for an iTouch that isn't made by Apple. Android looks like the best option, what with it's wonderful collection of apps. I've taken some intro-grade programming classes, so I may end up making apps one day.
  • Current Location is Nebraska US, but as I mentioned before, I'll be in New Mexico US for quite a while. Cell phone signal isn't plentiful where I'm going, otherwise I'd just get a phone. This rules out getting a 3G/4G contract-only tablet.
A few options I've found are Archos 43 or Archos 5, or Dell Streak 5. Looking for more options before making a decision. I'm not opposed to a 7" device, so feel free to advise.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

vietwolf

Apr 23, 2011
Looking into getting my first tablet within the next 2 months and looking for useful advice.

To go right off the main points:
1) what you will be using the tablet for?

Will end up as more of a companion device to my desktop and phone. Replacing my netbook essentially since I don't have a significant need for heavy text input on the go anymore.
Browsing, reading various documents and ebooks, email / messaging, light media streaming (youtube, internet radio, etc), bluetooth (just in case).
No heavy games or anything (well, maybe something simple once in a while, but unimportant). 3g, cameras, GPS unnecessary.

2) how much you are willing to spend?

So long as it fits my needs without going over the top, as much as needed. (Less is always a plus).

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be?

I'm thinking 7" but I'm still good for 10" if need be.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

Comfortable with doing what's necessary to get it to work. Not surprised if I need to tweak or hack it to get a better experience. Prefer good community support for device even over manufacturer in many cases. ROM installation is fine too.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
I'll probably be moving soon anyways, but in the USA regardless.

So long as the user experience is pretty good for the tasks I will be doing I wasn't even sure if it would be worth it to put money out for the newer Tegra 2 devices. Not exactly needing this thing to be ridiculously amazing. More likely to put more money into a high end phone and end up with a decent tablet.

Was looking about at some tablets and considering a Nook Color (with some custom ROMS of course) as being sufficient for my needs.

Last edited:

nsk

Apr 30, 2011
Hi,
I have been searching a lot for a sub 100$ tablet to experiment with, but could not find what I want. Can anyone recommend a sub 100$ 7" tablet? I dont mind a tablet from Shenzhen. This is primarily meant for testing my programs, the following are my requirements.

1. 7" and should support Android 2.2
2. Firmware and tools should be available ( are there any vendors who already open source there firmware? the only one I know is via who opened up wm8650)
3. SD card slot that can read upto 32GB
4. I should be able to root it without having to do a whole bunch of things
5. Touch should be decent (resistive is ok)
6. The tablet should be stable enough to not crash on me every 5 mins.

Optional:
1. It would be nice to be able to use Flash player 10.1 ( is it a licensing issue or technical issue that prevents Adobe Flash to run on <100$ tablets? )
2. I would like to optionally install Market place.

Thanks,
nsk

Last edited:

genepaton

Apr 30, 2011
Looking to purchase an android tab with following minimum specs, if anyone can please make suggestions;
At least running 2.2, 1ghz processor, sd card slot up to 32gig, flash, camera, HDMI port, wifi, 3G or at least compatible with USB 3G modem, bluetooth, capacitive multitouch 7" (not 10", want something that fits in your hand) GPS (or capable of linking with bluetooth GPS unit) Accelerometer.
And not a chinese after market, something with a good warranty behind it.

Thanks for any help.

ojustaboo

Apr 30, 2011
EDIT: BROUGHT GALAXY TAB :)

Hi all

Any advice greatly received.

At the moment I have a 64GB Ipod Touch (3G) which I use every single day, mainely for a couple of hours in bed before I go to sleep.

My main uses (in order of what I do most) are,

Listening to music
Watch videos or live TV
Read ebooks
Listen to audio books

And of course the usual checking emails and a bit of web surfing.

On the whole I've been very happy with my ipod, I use Handbrake on PC to transfer films etc I want to watch on it and the pic quality is very very good.

However, there's a couple of things that I'm not happy about.

1) My eyesight isn't very good and I could do with a bigger screen
2) Lack of ability to play flash, a few TV providers here in the UK provide live TV streaming only via flash.

So I've looked into alternatives :) The more research I do, the more confused I get as to what's suitable.

I do NOT really want a 10inch tablet, I find my wifes Kindle the ideal size for me which is very close in size to the Galaxy Tablet.

It must be able to auto rotate preferably in all 4 directions (often find when listening through headphones, when I turn over and lie on my other side, the headphone lead is in an inconvenient place and the ability to turn the device 180 degrees gets over this).

Preferably has the ability to insert a memory card.

So to recap my needs,

Tablet around 7"
Be able to play flash
Reasonable resolution as lots of movie watching
Lot of ebook reading so again good quality screen

Preferably a fairly popular one that will get good support from the community when the manufacture drops support (which judging from my experiences with electrical goods in general, companies marketing departments implement dropping support as a policy to try and get us to buy the next model far to frequently)

The Galaxy tablet is the perfect size for me although the shop displays I've managed to find so far don't have it turned on. Would this fit my needs?

I see Android 3 is out and if I wanted a 10" would go this route and get something like the xoom or one of the Asus ones. But as I only want 7", so far, here in the UK my choice is pretty limited.

Many thanks for your time

Joe

Last edited:

archat68

Feb 6, 2011
Galaxy Tab is the answer.

Looking to purchase an android tab with following minimum specs, if anyone can please make suggestions;
At least running 2.2, 1ghz processor, sd card slot up to 32gig, flash, camera, HDMI port, wifi, 3G or at least compatible with USB 3G modem, bluetooth, capacitive multitouch 7" (not 10", want something that fits in your hand) GPS (or capable of linking with bluetooth GPS unit) Accelerometer.
And not a chinese after market, something with a good warranty behind it.

Thanks for any help.

swclemmons

Mar 30, 2011
what would be a easy rootable tablet 7" with multiple stable roms (cg or ultimate droid etc.) under $200 with micro sd,rom manager, flash, and droid market. clockworkmod? gonna basically be a video player with some android games

archat68

Feb 6, 2011
^^Sub 200$ and mainly video playback - coby 7015/7025
~250$ with everything you want and a capacitive screen and bluetooth - NookColor. Though video playback is not the strongest point of the NC. But you can convert videos and play.

P

paul_nicholls

Hi all,
I am looking at buying an Android tablet (I have $200 AUD to spend [including postage]).

I want to do the usual browse web stuff (hopefully with flash support), play some games (hopefully 3d) and other apps, watch movies, and be able to download from the Android app store :)

I also want to try programming gaps/games for the device too...

Here are the specifications that I am hoping for (or close to it):

CPU Speed : 1.0 Ghz
Memory : 512MB DDR2
Storage : 4GB NAND
External Storage : up to 32GB expansion via SD
Operating System : Android 2.2 (or higher), hopefully upgradeable later on.
Touchscreen : 7" - 10" Capacitive Touchscreen (multi-touch definitely preferable)
Screen Resolution : 800 x 480 (minimum)
Wi-Fi Support : a must have
G-Sensor: : preferable
Camera : 1.3M - Front Facing (can live without I guess)
Battery : 3600mAh?
HDMI output : nice, but can live without
Hardware 3D support : definitely a want.
Flash support : can live without I guess, but nice.
Android market : either installed, or can be installed (some don't support the market)

This Kogan 7" one looks pretty good:

7" Tablet PC with Capacitive Touchscreen: Powered by Android - Buy your Android Tablet PC from Kogan

Apparently it IS multi-touch (supports pinch/zoom using 2 fingers - nice), and can have flash installed (and I can get 3 year extended warranty for around $206)...

I don't suppose anyone here might have purchased a Kogan tablet, and if so, what do you think of it?

Otherwise, any other ideas?

I have also found this one:
Wholesale Free Shipping New Android 2.2 M7 Sumsung PV210 A8 CPU +muilti touch and camera+ HDMI + Flash 10.1 support +

EDIT: if it helps (or makes a difference), I live in Australia...

I have googled around (and Ebay), but I thought I would get some opinions from Android users :)

cheers,
Paul