The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

garbagecanman

Apr 3, 2011
Oh if that so, should I avoid China-made tablet? But I see that Huawei have an active thread going on here. But sadly eLocity is $340, way off my budget and with that price tag could land me a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Nothing that you will hate more then the battery life if you get a china tablet! And if you dig you can find some archos used for cheap, and i have actually seen a few of the elocity around for under $300 new like 273 on ebay.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@ibrahimovic You are in Singapore, so your selection is different from what we have in North America. You seem to be listing tablets available in the American market. How are you planning to buy right now? Try to ask questions based on the first post in this thread, so we can better assist you. Your selection is extremely limited with your budget. The main problem with most Chinese unbranded tablets is durability.

Pheyd

Apr 10, 2011
I'm in the market for a new tablet, my budget is in the $500 range. I'd be using it for web surfing, movies, music, games, the whole gambit. I'd also need it to be a wi-fi model I can tether to my HTC Magic via USB, I'd like to avoid the extra cost with 3G models and multiple wireless accounts with my carrier.

I was originally looking at Motorola Xoom vs HTC Flyer vs Samsung Galaxy Tab. After further research I've read various reviews of people saying the Xoom has too many bugs, felt like a beta version. So I was thinking about waiting for the Flyer or the Tab.

Anyone else have any thoughts they could help me with?

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
$400 pre-order for Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 on Redflagdeals is an option, without wanting to do too much explaining as to why. You need to do more research about Honeycomb and about tethering.

jwar1976

Mar 26, 2011
Hi all, I am looking to buy my first tablet in the next few weeks & I need it to have the the following features :

10" Capictive Screen preferred but must be multitouch
At least Android 2.2 with decent Flash. Honeycomb is not essential.
HDMI
Fully 3G compatible either with a 3G module built in or with a USB dongle
At least 1ghz processor.
Price between £150 - £250

I have heard a lot of negative things on the 3G capabilities with a dongle on the Vega, so if there is another make then please suggest it to me. Thanks :).

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Your budget limits you to the Advent Vega at 10-inches using USB 3G dongles, and I am not aware of anything better in the market. The Viewsonic 10s, as I understand it, is not only significantly more expensive, but is also much less compatible with existing custom firmware.

I should also make mention that there is a 10-in Chinese tablet coming out that will have built-in 3G support in this: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/freescale-based/11251-apad-g10-10-freescale-imx515.html
But I have no clue how that is going to turn out. Not sure if this is much more than vaporware at the moment. Specifications indicates that it supports all that you ask of it, but with these imports, it just isn't that simple. It will probably be cheap enough to fit into your target price range.

szak

Apr 12, 2011
Hi,
I am looking for tablet with GPS and wifi, possibility to Skype, not bigger then 7 inch, up to 300$, long buttery life.
willing to spend money on quality, not on whistles.
don't mind hacking.
What could you recommend?

In other thread I saw recommendation to wait for Herotab C9.
Is it the best from pow quality/price?

Thanks,
Semion

Last edited:

paul525715

Apr 12, 2011
Hi,
I'm considering the feasibility of permanently installing a 7" tablet in my car in place of a head unit (and then connecting it to an amplifier). I know the charging ports & jacks might cause problems but I'm willing to try to get over these. However, I'd need the tablet to have the same bluetooth functionality as a traditional car stereo... i.e. receiving and making calls... if my phone (an iphone) rings, I can answer it using the tablet (with the in-built mic and the amplified audio output). Is this possible? Is there a budget priced tablet and an app to make this possible? Or... am I wasting my time?

Thanks in advance!

garbagecanman

Apr 3, 2011
Hi,
I'm considering the feasibility of permanently installing a 7" tablet in my car in place of a head unit (and then connecting it to an amplifier). I know the charging ports & jacks might cause problems but I'm willing to try to get over these. However, I'd need the tablet to have the same bluetooth functionality as a traditional car stereo... i.e. receiving and making calls... if my phone (an iphone) rings, I can answer it using the tablet (with the in-built mic and the amplified audio output). Is this possible? Is there a budget priced tablet and an app to make this possible? Or... am I wasting my time?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a waist to me... Why not just get a bluetooth stereo deck and there you go you can answer calls :)

jakie55

Aug 30, 2010
If I revise my list to change the tethering to just wifi,as I can change my usb 3 g dongle (with Bell Mobility) to a myfi unit, what other options are there around the $150 range. I would like to be in a telechip at the minimum, or possibly infotem(?) Being Canadian does limit the choices quite a bit. Thanks for your input

John

jmkimes

Apr 13, 2011
Hello gang, thought it only fitting to make my first post here. I'm a recent Android convertee after being snowed by Iphones for the last 3 years. I recently upgraded to a Motorola Atrix 4G and absolutely LOVE this thing. I've rooted/unrooted, ran emulator's, ect. I have a pretty decent technology background, I like buttons and findings ways to make the buttons work better or be more useful.

What I'm looking at getting next is a decent tablet, Android of course. Its main uses will be the standard stuff from reading up to running emulators for past console systems (Playstation, SNES, N64, ect) and also some higher end gaming on occasion. I'd like its specs to be similar to my phone (dual core Tegra, high resolution, 1gig ram, ect) and also have the functionality to accept SD/micro SD cards, Bluetooth, USB, HDMI, 16+ GB, WiFi, decent battery life, and any other fluff that might come with it. I've done some searching and almost picked up an Elocity A7, but I'd kinda like to dabble in Honeycomb if the cost isn't substantially more. I'd like to get a WiFi Xoom, but just can't swing $600 for something to play around with. I don't have a problem installing custom firmware, rooting, ect (I jailbroke iPhones numerous times). The most recent thing to grab my attention is the new Acer Iconia A500, I really like the specs, matches everything I'd look for in a tablet, and its $150 cheaper than the Xoom. Is there anything else comparable in the $450 or less price range? If not, is there anything I'm missing that would warrant spending the extra $150 on the Xoom? (I know its 32 gig instead of the A500's 16 gig, screen resolution, build quality, battery life, ect)

Thanks in advance!

Also, my location is Ohio, in the US of A

Pheyd

Apr 10, 2011
$400 pre-order for Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 on Redflagdeals is an option, without wanting to do too much explaining as to why. You need to do more research about Honeycomb and about tethering.

Thanks for the advice, the Asus Eee Transformer really looks great after doing some initial research! Any idea of when this will come to North America (specifically Canada)? Would it be fair to say this is the tablet to beat for 2011?

10 till 4

Apr 12, 2011
Hey i am looking for a new tablet. I only need it to have wifi. I dont really mind what size screen it has as long as it is multi touch and i would like it to have at least 2.2. I am pretty new to this stuff so hopefully something that doesnt need to much rooting. I was looking at the Samusung galaxy tab and was hoping you guys could recommend anything a little cheaper. I would really like to make this device a multimedia station with lots of music and movies but still have games and stuff to kill time.

aeroguy

Apr 13, 2011
Hi forum,

I'm a university student and I'm looking for a tablet that I can input math into, from math lectures with a pen (stylus). A bit like paint, but instead of using your finger to draw, using a stylus.

I'm currently looking at a 10'' Epad tablet, obviously being student I can't really afford an iPad. Could someone please confirm for me that this type of tablet (LINK) can accept input from a stylus. If not, can anyone recommend one that could. Basic requirements besides the stylus input are a modest battery life (4+ hours), around a 10'' size tablet, and the ability to play games and browse the internet would be nice.

Regards, Ollie.

P.S. I live in the UK.

Apr 13, 2011
Greetings! Thanks in advance for such a valuable resource and for your time.

I would love to get a fully featured tablet that I can make voice calls and get cellular data on and play with / hack android. I have an opportunity to purchase a US Cellular Galaxy Tab for $300. I am concerned about the lack of new ROM's, android 2.2, no voice calls, and 2gb internal memory. I am also tempted to get the Huwuei S7 at Best Buy (does this have a cellular modem built in?). Any other suggestions? I came up with this shortlist:

Huawei Ideos S7-104
kryos 8024 - is this even out yet?
asus eee tablet - not out yet
galaxy tab - no roms, no voice, android 2.2, 2gb memory
xoom - expensive
nook - no cellular, no cams

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
web browser
gps
flash
capacitive multitouch screen
hacking and experimenting with android
camera
videoconference
app marketplace
angry birds <sheepish grin>

2) how much you are willing to spend
350+

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
Web Programmer, Open Source Enthusiast, Redhat Certified Engineer

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Milwaukee, WI

[edit] Now I'm leaning towards the Viewsonic G-Tablet. . . $300 usd just down the street. [/edit]

Thanks again!

Last edited: