The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

lmasud

May 25, 2011
Totally new here, but I have a few questions about tablets.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

I want this tablet to be more of a low-end tablet PC and preferably the ability to boot Windows 7 Starter (I'm coo if hacks are required). I definately want to be able to run Microsoft OneNote. I would be okay with it if there are apps in the Android marketplace that are extremely close/effective as OneNote though. I have next to no experience with Android so app suggestions would be nice also.

Other than that, Flash is a must as I wanna be able to watch my shows online. Can't think of anything other than for now.

2) how much you are willing to spend

Max 450 i guess, but preferably below 400

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be

FOR SURE 10 INCH. Went to Best Buy and tried out a bunch of different tableets. 7 inch is just too small for my needs (that sounds wrong )

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

About Android: next to nothing.

Computer literracy: very high. I develop apps for the iOS market and go to school for Comp and Elec Eng. One of the biggest reasons I want to buy a Android tablet is to get more accustomed with the android platform.

Tablets I already have in mind:

- Viewsonic G Tab
- Acer Iconica
- Asus EEE Tab Transformer (currently my top choice)
- Arnova 10 Version 2

Thanks in advance. This seems like a great community!

lmasud

May 25, 2011
Hi folks ... this is my first post so please be gentle :)
I'm looking for a tablet with a "real" USB (so i can upload photos from my camera), access my yahoo mail account, transfer books from my Nook - additional wishes would be a user changeable battery and gps - and of course Internet access is a given!
I was hoping the Toshiba tablet would be released by now but have heard it's now delayed until end of summer - i want it before then.
thanks,
Kiki149
I'm not exactly a tablet guru, but I think you should take a look at the Archos 101. They are media company and the 101 should meet all of the needs u specified above. Actually, I think most standard tablets minus the iPad (no USB) will meet your requirements

hdom

May 26, 2011
Hi efh777, thanks for your post. I found a Herotab MID816 Android 2.3 Flash 10.1 1.2GHz 8GB HDMI and it is cheaper, i noticed that it has a newer android would you recomend it?
clear1x1.gif

kik149

May 25, 2011
Thanks Imasud ... I'll take a look at the Archos 101 ... really would like the Toshiba but don't want to wait that long - they should just draw a line in the sand and get the dang thing out! then they could do a V2 with all the "newer" stuff ... but who am I to tell Toshiba what to do :)

Lilluda_5

May 24, 2011
Totally new here, but I have a few questions about tablets.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

I want this tablet to be more of a low-end tablet PC and preferably the ability to boot Windows 7 Starter (I'm coo if hacks are required). I definately want to be able to run Microsoft OneNote. I would be okay with it if there are apps in the Android marketplace that are extremely close/effective as OneNote though. I have next to no experience with Android so app suggestions would be nice also.

Other than that, Flash is a must as I wanna be able to watch my shows online. Can't think of anything other than for now.

Max 450 i guess, but preferably below 400

FOR SURE 10 INCH. Went to Best Buy and tried out a bunch of different tableets. 7 inch is just too small for my needs (that sounds wrong )

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

About Android: next to nothing.

Computer literracy: very high. I develop apps for the iOS market and go to school for Comp and Elec Eng. One of the biggest reasons I want to buy a Android tablet is to get more accustomed with the android platform.

Tablets I already have in mind:

- Viewsonic G Tab
- Acer Iconica
- Asus EEE Tab Transformer (currently my top choice)
- Arnova 10 Version 2

Thanks in advance. This seems like a great community!

Honestly the Transformer and ICONIA would be my top choices for you to, I reviewed them both recently and liked them alot. I agree with you though, the Asus Transformer is so flexible I had to pick it over the ICONIA. If your interested in reading my reviews i'm gonna post the links below.

Our Review of the Acer ICONIA A500 | Google Android Tablets

Asus Eee Pad Transformer Review | Google Android Tablets

BG_2012

May 28, 2011
Hello,

I will be using this tablet to:

A) Learn the Bulgarian language using language learning Apps,
B) Watch Bulgarian videos and tutorials, Youtube, Bulgarian Radio, and Music
C) Use International SMS to chat to my Bulgarian friends,
E) Use voice Chat on Skype to talk to my Bulgarian friends,
F) Use Android Market to access Apps,
G) Browser the Web and Facebook

BONUS: I would like the tablet screen to be very nice/bright looking for watching videos, and the tablet to be fast enough to watch any videos and do the language learning apps without it being slow.

X2: I want to tablet to be ease of Use and not sluggish at all.

I am willing to spend no more than $255,
Between $200 - $255

The size I want is 7 inches

I never used Android though I prefer it over Itunes

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

United States, PM me

Donahi

May 29, 2011
Hi as above I'm looking to purchase a tablet and the more I research and look the more confused I am getting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here are few facts to help anyone understand what I am looking for, thanks for your time.
Basically looking for a tablet to use at work and at home when I get tired of holding a laptop. My number one use would be for penny auctions since that is my number 2 hobby. So dependability and connection speed is the most important. 57 yrs old so good screen resolution and viewing is important also. Would like to have the ability to play games on it though I am not a hard core gamer. Thinking of the 10 inch size due to eyes etc but really don't want anything too heavy since my laptop takes that place first :) Looking to spend around 225.00 but can go up to 300.00 but not more than that since its mainly for convenience and comfort. I found this site while trying to find reviews on the Zenithink 10.2" Touchscreen Android 2.2 Tablet PC. I'm also looking at the HDE 10.2 Super Pad II. And not too familiar with Android to date. Maybe movie viewing but that's not a premium demand. I guess my number one requirement would be dependability along with decent customer support. Hopefully this long winded post gives you enough info to help guide me in the right direction and one final note I need to purchase it thru Amazon off giftcards won in the penny auctions ROFL told you it was my second favorite hobby. Again thanks for your time.

Loneukulele

Jan 16, 2011
Hello, I'm new here and hoping you all can help me decide on a tablet.

Budget: $250 but I'm willing to go to $300 if it's worth it.
Needs:
Android 2.2
SD expansion
USB port
Capacitive touch screen
Android Market

Would like:
Camera
Microphone
Bluetooth
Multi-touch screen

Don't need:
GPS
3G

I'm looking for a 10" screen. It seems to be the best size for reading books and sheet music.
I'd prefer a 4:3 screen, but there seems to be more 16:9 on the Market.
I would also use this for Internet, so flash would be required.

I'm not in a hurry to get anything immediately, but I'd just like to know what's out there that would work for me.
Thanks

aFriend

May 27, 2011
Been looking at a few budget tablets and have it narrowed down to two choices: The Coby Kyros 7015 (probably buy from local Frys) and Sylvania 7" express/mini (whatever the model is that the California CVS stores carry/the Craig cmp738 doesn't seem to be out here).

Main uses would be for:
** internet access/web surfing
** videos
** most important of all, my INTRO to ANDROID and the potential customization

Because it'll be my first Android tablet, I wanted to keep the cost between $100-150 and prefer to buy from a local store
** Frys has the Coby on sale for $132, Amazon is $141
** CVS has the Sylvania for $99 and I have a one-use coupon for 25% off (good 'til 6/3/11). Which is the main draw to this model

Noticed that the Coby has alot of support on the site as opposed to the Sylvania. And as this is my Intro to the Android platform, I'm leaning towards the Coby. It's just the potential of a cheap price on the Sylvania that has me thinking about that model.

No matter what, I want to customize whichever tablet I get in order to improve the experience from stock even though I've never done this on a tablet. It's also been years since I've messed with this sort of stuff on home computers

Which would be the better choice considering my basic needs and these price points. I do want to upgrade next year to the bigboy 'droid tablets next year and want to get my learnin' done on a budget unit

Thanks for any help

Emi

Jun 1, 2011
Great tips you provided. I hear people talk about upgrades on their tablet and was wondering if it could be done.

moley10

Jun 1, 2011
Hi everyone,
i have been researching the forums for a while now trying to choose my first tablet i should buy, and i have seen options but still the options are overwhelming to be honest! so hoping someone can help me out...

1) what i will be using the tablet for = i need.... at least android 2.2, capacitive screen, 3D Games Support (SGX540 OpenGL-ES 1.1 and 2.0 and OpenVG 1.0), Adobe Flash, a fast processor obviously, decent battery life and ability to root the device, install cwm etc.
2) how much you are willing to spend = $250 shipped to uk, thats top budget though!
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be = 8inch +
4) how much you know about Android = i have a htc desire phone, so know about rooting, roms, adb etc

thanks for reading....

robjrock

Mar 29, 2011
I saw this tablet for sale... Anyone know the model? Or possibly recommend me if they've heard good / bad things about it?

Wholesale Freeshipping+Free Cover Case A8 8" Built in 3G Capacitive PC Tablet Android 2.3

It has a capacitive screen, built in 3g, comes with a free case, under $300... seems pretty decent?

Lilluda_5

May 24, 2011
Hi everyone,
i have been researching the forums for a while now trying to choose my first tablet i should buy, and i have seen options but still the options are overwhelming to be honest! so hoping someone can help me out...

1) what i will be using the tablet for = i need.... at least android 2.2, capacitive screen, 3D Games Support (SGX540 OpenGL-ES 1.1 and 2.0 and OpenVG 1.0), Adobe Flash, a fast processor obviously, decent battery life and ability to root the device, install cwm etc.
2) how much you are willing to spend = $250 shipped to uk, thats top budget though!
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be = 8inch +
4) how much you know about Android = i have a htc desire phone, so know about rooting, roms, adb etc

thanks for reading....

Take a look at the Coby Kyros

Coby Kyros MID7015 Review | TrendyTablets

moley10

Jun 1, 2011
I saw this tablet for sale... Anyone know the model? Or possibly recommend me if they've heard good / bad things about it?

Wholesale Freeshipping+Free Cover Case A8 8" Built in 3G Capacitive PC Tablet Android 2.3

It has a capacitive screen, built in 3g, comes with a free case, under $300... seems pretty decent?

looks good, seems the same tablet as T9 8inch Capacitive 5 point Multitouch Samsung 1GHZ Android 2.2 Flash 10.1

if i knew what it was, and if there was good forum support for it, i would get it most likely...