The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Raventiger

Jun 7, 2011
Hi,

I hope I'm making this post in the right place :). I'm thinking of picking up an Android Tablet. Problem is, resellers are few and far between down here in New Zealand and it's not easy to find places that sell them.

Recently I came across this reseller: Welcome to d-Shop . Has anyone here had any dealings with this seller? If so what have been your experiances?

I am looking for an is a 7 - 10 inch tablet, running Froyo 2.2, that I can fiddle around with as I learn to develop web apps, play some casual games, browse the web, email, and use as an ereader device.

From looking through the tablets the seller above sells I've narrowed down the tablets I'm interested in to the following. Can someone please advise me if picking up one these tablets is a good idea or not.

1. R 81 Android 2.2 with 3G, 8in capacitive screen, internal GPS, 4GB microSD and soft protective case. This model has a Rockchip2818 800Mhz + 600Mhz DSP CPU and 256 MB, 4GB NAND FLASH memory.

2. Android 2.2 PV210 1.2Ghz 7in, capacitive screen, CPU model: Unknown, Memory: DDR2 512MB, 4GB NAND FLASH

3. Android 2.2 9.7in CAPACITIVE touchscreen, 3G-compatible, CPU model: FREESCALE A8 IMX515 – 800 Mhz, Memory: 512mb Flash and 4G NAND

4. Samsung 1.2GHz CPU, 8in touchscreen, CPU: Samsung CPU PV210 A8, 1.2 GHZ, Memory: 512mb Flash and 4G NAND .

Many thanks for your assistance,

Raven

Last edited:

mikeb916

Jun 1, 2011
Ok guys, I just got my acer iconia windows seven version. I love it. two complaints though,the screen will not close on top of the keyboard.Also I wish I could move a little faster online with it. I m an internet marketer and need to be able to do many tasks online at once. I have never owned a laptop or a tablet before so maybe I just don`t know what I am doing. So I could be missing something about speeding up the online experience. Any suggestions?(not computer tech savvy). Tablets like this are probably the future of laptops.

Out of 5 I give this a solid 4.5,
Michael

Shadow20

Jun 8, 2011
ok, hello, i am new around here and to tablets to be honest, I am not even sure if a tablet is what i need so hopefully someone can help me with this.

lets see..the only thing i really want one for is because

a)it should cheaper than a net book

b) to run Skype for chatting for my mother to talk with my sister who is abroad. she doesn't do anything else really so that's the main purpose so random games are fine and WiFi is needed obviously, hopefully wireless N if possible. I believe my router is a N type.

And the screen should be something decent maybe 7inch or so. My budget is also low, i would rather something sub $150 but will go higher if needed.

What would you suggest in a situation like this? I was looking at the Archos 43(small screen but the price isnt bad) but i am unsure if Skype is available and works properly. Thanks for your help in advance and let me know if you need any other info incase i left off something lol:D

Thanatos340

Jun 9, 2011
I have spent a lot of hours this week looking around trying to figure out which 7" tablet is right for me and just keep getting more confused. Hoping some of you hear might can help point me in the right direction.

Requirements:
1. 7" Multi-touch Capacitive screen
2. Minimum 1gz processor
3. 513mb memory
4. Good Battery Life (I know this is subjective)
5. Android 2.2 or higher

Would Like to have
1. Must Run Flash
2. Must have access to full Android Market (I know I could hack this in most Tabs but would prefer not to have to)
3. Community Support (Easy to find Custom Roms and User Knowledgeable)

Nice to haves:
1. 802.11n
2. Onboard GPS
3. Bluetooth
4. Thin, Sleek and lightweight a Plus.
5. HDMI out (I use HBOGo a lot and would like to steam through the Tablet to my TV)

Purpose:
1. eReader first and foremost. Must be able to run Kindle Ap as I have a Huge Kindle Library already.
2. Email (Gmail and Yahoo Aps)
3. Dolphin Browser
4. Music Player - I have a huge Music collection and use Winamp as my Library. Would be using Winamp for Android as the player. (Also ease of swapping out SD cards a Plus as I have about 150gb of Music that I will have to distribute between cards.)
5. Games. Angry Birds and Words with Friends are primary but like to ability to play some 3d games if the mood strikes.

I have narrowed things down to Herotab C8\Dropad A8, Rene3 and V7 however I am open to other suggestions if there is a devise that is a better fit. mY budget is $180 to $230. I can spend a little more but would rather not.

Was almost sold on the Herotab C8 but now see there are the C8+ and C8M and Now they have the C9 coming out. Any opinions and or feedback is welcome and would be appreciated.

starfighter1

Jun 7, 2011
Hello there well I'll try and make this snappy.
I am looking for a tablet with multiple uses School, entertainment mainly.

I want these features/specs
android 2.2/2.3 (upgradeable to honey comb or preloaded with it.)
1 ghz processor (tegra 2 idealy)
around 512 ram more is always great
7 inch screen (seems like it would be more portable I would rather haul that around than my laptop)
exceptional battery life (I would like to make it through school without a recharge)
webcam
access to android market (allowing for most if not all apps because I think some tablets can only use some)

other than those I really can not think of anything else.... I looked at the dell streak 7 and it had just about everything I wanted except for its battery life :/ so anything comparable with better battery except for the galaxy tab (its just to old) would be great.
p.s. around anything below 400 usd is great

Last edited:

RaZz0R

Jun 10, 2011
Hi All,

Awesome site btw ;)

OK - So like so many others I am trying to find a tab the fits my needs.

First and foremost - the idea of an android tablet is to replace GPS units used in my 4WD. I use it for fairly major 4x4'ing as well.
But it occoured to me that getting a decent unit could act almost as a laptop replacement as well.

I currently own a Samsung galaxy S - all custom hacks and roms - love it. If I could get a super sized one... oh wait... galaxy tab - but I a mnot paying out over a grand either for one!! :)

So my requirements are these:

GPS - if AGPS the gps chips must be able to work on their own with no phone \ wifi connections (Hence assisted GPS)

3G - a nice to have - not required however

Captive screen - after messing with different screens, I have decided I want a captive screen! Much better then touch resistive

WIFI - then atleast in my home I can use it for web, email etc, etc.

512MB RAM

good CPU to handle multi-tasking 1Ghz or better?

Main use will be for Androzic or Oziexplorer with topo maps, probly load up igo as well. From there if it has the balls it will be used for movies, email, web, even install the citrix client software and be able to do work with it. If it has bluetooth for keyboard connection that would rock.

Screen size - 7 or 10" .... however a lot of my friends are asking for 5 or 6" one's as they don't like having 7" + on the dash of the car of getting a cutom mod made up - I dont care as I'll mod my 4Wd to take it lol

Tab's I have looked at inclide:

Asus EEEPAD Transformer, 10.1 LCD, Nvidia Tegra 2, 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD, Android, WIFI, BT GPS
But @ 600ish (599) its a little pricy and a little big as well.

I have looked at the DropPad A8x\ Hero C8 - But haven't confirmed if it does indeed have a GPS unit (Too many different versions)

Witstech A81H+ Capacitive android 2.3 GPS 1GHZ Flash 10.2
This one seems good but I know nothing of the CPU or just how quick this unit is - it does however meet all requirements.

Thoughts or idea's??

Cheers and thanks... :)
Chris

MX21

Jun 10, 2011
I'm looking for a tablet with about a 6 - 7" display, capacitive multitouch, Full size USB 2.0 port, and USB Host capability. I want to use the tablet as a user interface to a data-acquisition device (USB) in the field. Low cost < $250 and good hackability. A Nook color looked about right, but doesn't have the USB Host port.

Thanks,

MX

SGMB

Jun 11, 2011
Hi Guys
I am looking for a 7" to use for my 8yo son with severe CP and some vision impairment. Ideally I want to mount it up near his head for vision support and 'remote desktop' to either his communication device (currently an XP tablet platform) or the classroom computer (PC) running the whiteboard then home with any number of computers Mac/PC. eBook readers, take photos of worksheets in class or school readers to zoom etc. So need wireless internet, SD card, ability to send files to it from other computers etc.

The big picture is...
He uses foot switches at the moment to type in morse code so I want something I can either create USB or bluetooth interfaces with and either find/make or beg someone to make a morse code keyboard emulator for us. He also uses foot switches for auditory scanning (push one switch for choices via headphones, then select with second switch). bluetooth headset for audio on one channel would be great with voice output on the other if at all possible to start it working as a communication device. I would love to pursue the Emotiv EEG headset option but think an Android tablet might give us more chance to build some appropriate apps for our son.
Don't mind hacking since I will own it - but would need easy instructions to follow to do so.
Don't have a lot of spare cash but could go with around the $500USD mark (Aussie dollar currently better so that's a miracle). Anything to get us away from the crazy prices of dedicated communications devices here in Australia which run at $15K for an XP platform and don't meet our needs anyway. Would be great to get to an App that can help drive powerchairs etc too.
Thanks for any assistance you can provide
Cheers
Gina

Inky Ed | inclusive education &#8211; nothing exceptional&#8230; it just is.

Lilluda_5

May 24, 2011
Hello there well I'll try and make this snappy.
I am looking for a tablet with multiple uses School, entertainment mainly.

I want these features/specs
android 2.2/2.3 (upgradeable to honey comb or preloaded with it.)
1 ghz processor (tegra 2 idealy)
around 512 ram more is always great
7 inch screen (seems like it would be more portable I would rather haul that around than my laptop)
exceptional battery life (I would like to make it through school without a recharge)
webcam
access to android market (allowing for most if not all apps because I think some tablets can only use some)

other than those I really can not think of anything else.... I looked at the dell streak 7 and it had just about everything I wanted except for its battery life :/ so anything comparable with better battery except for the galaxy tab (its just to old) would be great.
p.s. around anything below 400 usd is great

Honestly for the specs your looking at your probably looking at a 10 inch in the current market.

You should really check out the ACER ICONIA its about 450 dollars on amazon and has amazing specs.

Our Review of the Acer ICONIA A500 | TrendyTablets

Lilluda_5

May 24, 2011
Hi Guys
I am looking for a 7" to use for my 8yo son with severe CP and some vision impairment. Ideally I want to mount it up near his head for vision support and 'remote desktop' to either his communication device (currently an XP tablet platform) or the classroom computer (PC) running the whiteboard then home with any number of computers Mac/PC. eBook readers, take photos of worksheets in class or school readers to zoom etc. So need wireless internet, SD card, ability to send files to it from other computers etc.

The big picture is...
He uses foot switches at the moment to type in morse code so I want something I can either create USB or bluetooth interfaces with and either find/make or beg someone to make a morse code keyboard emulator for us. He also uses foot switches for auditory scanning (push one switch for choices via headphones, then select with second switch). bluetooth headset for audio on one channel would be great with voice output on the other if at all possible to start it working as a communication device. I would love to pursue the Emotiv EEG headset option but think an Android tablet might give us more chance to build some appropriate apps for our son.
Don't mind hacking since I will own it - but would need easy instructions to follow to do so.
Don't have a lot of spare cash but could go with around the $500USD mark (Aussie dollar currently better so that's a miracle). Anything to get us away from the crazy prices of dedicated communications devices here in Australia which run at $15K for an XP platform and don't meet our needs anyway. Would be great to get to an App that can help drive powerchairs etc too.
Thanks for any assistance you can provide
Cheers
Gina

Inky Ed | inclusive education – nothing exceptional… it just is.

Honestly thats a moving story, but it sounds like you would require a good amount of hardware under the hood to multi task like that.

If you must have a tablet right now i would go with a 10 in model in your shoes just because the hardware on the 10 inch screens are so much better. The Asus Transformer and the Acer ICONIA are the most reasonably priced 10 in tablets that I feel would fit your needs.
Honestly though if you can hold out for 6 more months, the tablet market is going to change alot. The Galaxy Tab 10.1, the Toshiba Thrive, and the HP TouchPad should be out by then, and will probably have alot more versatility than the current tablets on the market.

Heres the link to reviews if you want to read up on those:

Last edited:

Ovion

Jun 12, 2011
I'm looking for something with preferably a 10inch+ screen pretty much solely for the purpose of reading books (novels) and comics on so the hardware etc doesnt need to be beefy, but either 4-10gb onboard memory or SD memory is required and a relatively good screen (i.e. good enough for definition to read comics).

My budget is currently about £100-120 or less.

Also - While fairly computer literate, I know relative little about android. And are there any better comicreaders than this one for it.

Last edited:

SGMB

Jun 11, 2011
@ Lilluda_5
Thanks heaps. I can probably wait six months for the newer tablets and see what comes out - might buy a cheapy in the meantime to start understanding more about them & Android which always helps know what we need and don't need in the future. Really appreciate it and will read up on your recs. Thanks again.
Gina (and Mac)

tabletNewbie

Jun 15, 2011
I am looking for:
- Something cheap. This is probably the main point. Ideally I would not want to spend more than 300 euro.
- The main goal is to be able to check my email (that means mainly WIFI, but probably also 3G) and use the android APPs I already use in my smartphone, so no much of a problem there. I have two desktop computers so the tablet would only be used while travelling.
- It would also be nice to watch the occasional movie and read some papers (pdf files). So I guess a 10 inch screen would be better (although it would probably increase the price too much).
- I do not plan on dedicating too much time on optimizing the operating system or hacking the thing, although I could consider it if it made a real difference in the price.

What do you think?

dm2

Jun 15, 2011
Soon I&#8217;ll purchase my first android tablet. I have no familiarity with android, but am not at all concerned about learning. I&#8217;m technically competent and computer literate. I have a desktop running XP and a Windows 7 notebook. The reasons for purchasing a tablet are:

1. Online streaming video, HDMI out to my TV. I watch a lot of horse racing via streaming on my desktop, but I want a portable device that I can output the video to my TV. I can do this with my laptop via VGA out, but I find the laptop to be too bulky for this purpose. Also, since it is my work laptop, I don&#8217;t always have it with me at home.

2. Occasional web browsing, check the weather, check email, read this forum etc.

3. Read a few books per year. Maybe read the newspaper online occasionally.

I&#8217;d like a 10&#8221; screen. I&#8217;m comfortable spending $300, but would be willing to go higher if necessary. I&#8217;ve been looking at the Archos 101 or Coby Kyros 1024, but the low RAM has me concerned about the video streaming. Which of these would be better for my needs? Do I need to step up to a Tegra 2 device? Thanks in advance.

Jun 15, 2011
I'm also looking into the Archos 101 and would like to know if it is a good gaming device or good enough to multitask. I'm a proud Droid owner for a while now so the Android OS is simple for me. I don't wanna spend more than $350 for a tablet but want as much power I can get at that price.

10" for bigger screen and ability to see more.
16GB Storage is MORE than enough for my needs.
I would use it for everything: movies, gaming, browsing, reading, music, networking admin, etc. EVERYTHING!

Last edited: