The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

SNEEZY

Jul 3, 2012
Hi all,
Totally new to this, I have two kids that are always arguing over my computer. I would like 2 x Android tablets with wifi, touch screen, flash, 7-9" screen, looking for the kids to play games, watch films, big memory and looking to spend about £50-80 on each one, if possible, both would have to be the same model. I have been told that android 4.0 (ice cream sandwich) is better but am open to options on this. Battery life would have to be decent too. USB port.Something easy enough to use. They are budding photographers so a camera would be handy too, but not essential. Right I think I have covered everything. Thanks

Last edited:

ab10

Jul 2, 2012
I'm new (imagine that) to the tablet world and am looking for some help...

Here are a few requirements:
7inch screen (or in the ballpark, but not 10inch)
WiFi
Front facing camera with video calling capabilities
Android
Preferably around $300 but will go up to $400ish

I'll be using it for general web browsing, Facebook, Gmail, etc... and will have some movies (about 5 at a time) and pictures (maybe 100-200 at a time) stored on it... I have an iPod touch so most of my music will be stored on that... I'll be moving out of the country soon and will be taking the tablet with me while traveling (I'll have my computer with me, but not on weekend travel, etc)... I don't need 3G... because of the travel, I will need it to be nice and sturdy, a Corning glass screen or something of the sort rather than plastic or something that will crack/scratch easily...

I would prefer a back camera and an SD slot, but those aren't necessary...

Also, I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'll be blogging from abroad, and if I can hook my camera (via cord if needed) up and transfer my photos to my blog through my tablet, that would be amazing... if not possible though, or if that makes the price go up, it is ok if I can't...

I'm good with computers and have an Android phone, so I'm pretty good at getting things working and figuring things out on my own...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

jessica808

Jul 6, 2012
Hi! I am doing christmas shopping for my 16 year old boys triplets. I can only afford less than 200 leaning towards the 150 buck range.
what Im hoping for: 10" over a 7", that has bluetooth (which i heard is rare under my budget), with an IPS screen, multi-touch, and some type of camera.

My boys will be using it for: skype, netflix, facebook, youtube, internet browsing (flash enabled), music, movies, and alot of gaming. When it comes to gaming, the only way to describe it is advance gaming (they use like both hands instead of the on finger swipe action that you use when you do fruit ninja, etc).

FYI: I have been eyeing out the Ainol Aurora 2 - is there any thing bigger that can slightly compare to it (or be even better).

Please help me, Im under budget and I need to start my christmas shopping early.

nadavma28

Jul 7, 2012
Hi there, please I need your professional advice…

I wish to buy a new 9.7 inch, dual-core, Android 4 tablet around the price range of 220-240 USD, I was looking the web and found some 3-4 seemingly good and recommended tablet out there:

1) ONDA VI40 – dual-core (I think this is my favorite, good looking, very thin, doesn’t have a Bluetooth…L).
2) SmartQ Ten3 T15 – dual-core
3) Window N90 - Dual Core (I don’t like the closed port it look very cheap and can easy brake, other than that its looks like a great one…)
4) Ramos W22Pro
5) ACHO C908
6) Any other recommended tablet.

I love the Ampe a90 but it's not a dual-core, so… L

I wish to understand from you first of all about the quality of the materials the sturdiness of the unit. Second about how smooth the touch and usage operate. Third about the quality of the screen color and beauty and finally your overall impression.
It is important for me the "look and feel" of the tablet that it will be a pretty unit and thin as possible, Bluetooth (is good, but not really a must). As for storage I'm going to buy an additional 32GB any way.

· Which from them is completely not recommended and which is the best?

I know there are also other good more tablet on 10.1 inch size, but I prefer more the 4:3 ratio for tablets then 9:16 (I don’t watch a lot of movies on the tablet and I think that game and surfing is better on 4:3 and only movies are better on 9:16 – what's your opinion on the matter???

Thanks in advance for any of your help on my post.

P.S – Does anyone knows if Onda Tablet PC - Onda Android 4.0 Tablet PC - Buy Cheap Onda Android Tablet PC are reliable and trust wordy, for I see they ask the smallest price (213 USD) for the ONDA VI40 32GB?

Nadav.

IGraham

Jul 14, 2012
Yet another Android tablet question - from someone who a few years ago thought tablets a daft idea
I'm thinking of buying one but don't know much about them
I started of looking for a cheapish ebook reader but soon realised that I might as well spend a few more £ and get a tablet. Other than as an ebook reader nothing special about what I'll be using it for.
So after a bit searching I'm looking at this
Does this look like it should be ok or a big problem.
I know its not going to be a great performer but it does have LAN & HDMI connectivity and a reasonable battery (?).
Its in my country (UK) so dealing with any faults should be easier, I'll have legal protection and no long wait for delivery.
Also
Is it likely that I'll be able to upgrade the Android OS to the latest version(s)
Will I be able to access my NAS ok and transfer files ok
What will the winning numbers be for next weeks lottery

Any replies gratefully received and should you have a suggestion for a better device do say so

------------------------------------------------------------
update
regards the tablet on ebay, i contacted one of the buyers (from seller Feedback ratings) and he wasn't at all happy with the tablet, so i wont be buying that. am now not at all keen on trusting a cheep China import.

Last edited:

Ore4444

Jul 17, 2012
1) what you will be using the tablet for.

The tablet will be used as a ZigBee to GPRS coordinator. It will run a custom application handling the protocols. The application will communicate with a server so I need the tablet to have a sim slot for GPRS/3G capability. On the other side it will communicate ZigBee through a ZigBee dongle, so tablet has to have a USB slot. I know that most tablets are 3G capable with external dongle, but I don't want to go with those.

Here is what I need:

Operation system: Android 3.1+ . Basically, I need USBHost support.
Support WIFI.
Any kind of camera.
GPS services.
Important - SIM with GPRS/3G capability. Calling not needed.
Important - At least one USB 2.0 slot (the ZigBee dongle will be connected here)

Nothing fancy, it should be the most basic device. I don't care about the looks, it should be functional as a coordinator.

2) how much you are willing to spend
Minimum. not more than 150$.

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
Doesn't matter at all.

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
I'm an Android developer.

Thank you very much.

RaysFan

Jul 17, 2012
Because of the current low price and the applications that appear to be available on GetJar for it; I'm considering buying a Pandigital Star. I've been trying to research it, but there's only so much I know how to do on my own.

I have never owned a tablet before and I do not want to spend a lot of money on my first one. I know I need to have realistic expectations about a cheaper tablet, I understand it's not an iPad. I'm wondering if the Star would be suitable for a starter tablet or not.

My intended uses: Internet browsing, games such as Cut the Rope or Angry Birds and some e-books (including books geared for young children). I do not need or even particularly desire Google Play, but would like a tablet that will have a wide variety to choose from on GetJar and on Amazon's Appstore.

Is this too much for the Star to handle? In spite of the apps GetJar shows to be available for the Star I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger. Any help with regards to the Pandigital Star (or Novel) is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2012
I'm ok spending up to $400.

When you say cheaper, what recommendations do you have? One of the Shanzhai ones like the Herotab?

Ainol Novo 7 Burning English Edition Ultra-thin Metal Case Android 4.0 Tablet PC 7 inch 1280×800 IPS HD Screen 1GB RAM ARM Cortex-A9 1.5GHz Dual-Core CPU Full HD 2MP Front Camera 5MP Rear Camera HDMI 16GB: $299.99, On Sale Now: $189.99 from ***** Tablet

n3o

Jul 19, 2012
Hi, I would like to ask is there anyway to install windows 7 on tablet? Basically I want to play css, but android does not support it, dual os would be great.

fatalis

Jul 22, 2012
In medical school I need a tablet that can just read pdfs and ebooks and maybe web browse via wifi...nothing else is needed. So long as it can read pdfs and ebooks I will be happy

Not too much, like 110$ max

7' is ok, 8/9' would be ideal

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
I am computer literate and I am willing to learn

Thanks for the replies!

asitz

Jul 20, 2012
I have never owned a tablet before and I do not want to spend a lot of money on my first one. I know I need to have realistic expectations about a cheaper tablet, I understand it's not an iPad. I'm wondering if the Star would be suitable for a starter tablet or not.

KaiserJeep

Nov 14, 2011
I am seeking to replace my 13" laptop PC and external GPS receiver with a more compact solution on a 10" tablet. The specific application is OFFROAD navigation away from streets and highways. I need access to the entire topographic database of the USA/Canada/Mexico. The uncompressed size of the database is 52 gigabytes and it grows with every release. My present solution requires me to copy 5 DVDs of data to my PC, then uncompress it, then run an updates file that is some tens of megabytes in size. The present software is Delorme Topo North America.

Specificly I want a 10" tablet with internal GPS and a camera, that can be mounted in my Jeep and used for navigation. The Jeep is a Wrangler with fiberglass top, I have no trouble with GPS receivers today. Battery life is not important since it is an in-vehicle application. A nice bright screen would help, and good performance is desired - I'll be comparing it to my PC which is an Intel Core i5-2520M 2.5GHz CPU running 64-bit Windows.

My preliminary thought about software is the Trimble Outdoors Navigator product, which claims to have the same 1:24,000 USGS topographic database as DeLorme uses. But if there is something better, I'm there.

Occaisionally I want to take a picture with the GPS coordinates embedded in the metadata. The ability to interface a real keyboard for writing text around the campfire would be helpfull.

I am not especially price sensitive, I have over $2000 in my PC solution counting hardware and application.

EDit: I presently have a Nook Color that I rooted with a CM7 ROM. BUt I have not spent much time playing with vanilla Android, I mostly read books and stream NetFlix video and read E-Mail, and the Nook application is fine for that.

Last edited:

hfksdkf

Jul 24, 2012
i am looking for a tablet, N7 is great, but i think if it with Rear camera, will be more perfect, the 7inch is really enough and convinient to take with.

SynC_187

Jul 27, 2012
The tablet will be used in the car for navigation and media (audio + video up to full HD, possibly via XBMC). Internal storage isn't a huge issue as I would use an external USB drive. Mobile broadbank (UK provider compatible) would be a bonus for streaming audio. Android 4 or 4.1.

Around the price of the Google Nexus 7 or less.

7 inch

Fairly basic user (Android phone), but IT literate and learn fast!

Thanks!

bonline

Jul 27, 2012
Hello,

I am in the market for a tablet or two.

Use: e-book, general surfing, kids playing games and watching movies/videos in car.

Must have: easy upgrade-ability of OS or rooting capability.

Screen Size - 7inch

Cost - $150 or less.

Features - as many features as the iPad 2/3

Lastly - since they are not allowed to post here, what is the general experience of those Chinese vendors that post here and the quality of their products.

Thanks.