The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

baldzach

Jul 27, 2012
I have about $200 I can spend on a new tablet. I was all set to go with the Kindle Fire, but then I found out it doesn't have a camera, and at the least I'd like to be able to skype with the family when I'm away on business. So I started looking into these off-brand tablets and I've discovered there are a whole host of options out there I didn't know were possible to get.

My must haves are:

Android 4.X (ice cream sandwich, jellybean if available?)
Access to full android marketplace
Front facing camera for Skype
Wall charger or USB charger (would prefer both)
Ability to play all the standard games (Angry Birds, Words With Friends, Draw Something, etc.)

My wish list includes:

rear facing camera for video/still pictures (for facebook, etc., not for professional photography)
GPS
1024 x 600 resolution
ability to get a case/skin for it
warranty / durability

I know I'm not going to get an iPad or its equivalent for this price, but I want something that's going to be good and reliable and able to do more than I'll probably ever figure out how to do. I'm looking at the Elf II or Aurora II from Ainol at the moment, but niether have GPS or a rear-facing camera. Obviously, the less I'd have to spend to get what I want the better. So, experienced Android peeps, lay it on me. Recommendations?

DanShane

May 16, 2012
Hello,

I am in the market for a tablet or two.

Use: e-book, general surfing, kids playing games and watching movies/videos in car.

Must have: easy upgrade-ability of OS or rooting capability.

Screen Size - 7inch

Cost - $150 or less.

Features - as many features as the iPad 2/3

Lastly - since they are not allowed to post here, what is the general experience of those Chinese vendors that post here and the quality of their products.

Thanks.

The Novo 7 Elf II will handle all that and more, and the battery life is tremendous. Average price is $125 including shipping. You can find it from vendors who support this forum.

tetris42

Jul 30, 2012
Hi,

I'm looking for a tablet JUST to read PDF files (specifically magazines). My general requirements:

-Big screen (10" or more)
-higher resolution preferred
-cheap as possible without being so cheap that it's likely to have a lot of problems (under $200? unless it's really worth going higher for some reason)

Again, this is JUST for PDFs, so as long as it can read them well, I'll be happy. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Last edited:

aturi83

Jul 30, 2012
1) I will be using the tablet for a little light gaming (football manager, fifa 12 - so quite graphics intensive), internet use, would also like to use it as an in car GPS, would be buying a bluetooth GPS adapter to do this.
2) around £200, the lower the better :)
3) Below 10" if possible, would like a highly portable machine.
4) Have a galaxy s2, built pc's in the past know how to follow online guides etc :)
5) UK Based

I have looked at the Ainol tablets and they look stunning, seem to get recent reviews, but after stopping the search for built in GPS (will only ever use that in a car) i was amazed to find that so few 8" tablets support decent res i.e. 1024x600 and have bluetooth. I could look down the bluetooth dongle route, but want the sat nav aspect to be reliable as i will use it for work.

Great site, thanks for looking/helping

mugglesquop

Jul 30, 2012
1) I will be using the tablet for a little light gaming (football manager, fifa 12 - so quite graphics intensive), internet use, would also like to use it as an in car GPS, would be buying a bluetooth GPS adapter to do this.
2) around £200, the lower the better :)
3) Below 10" if possible, would like a highly portable machine.
4) Have a galaxy s2, built pc's in the past know how to follow online guides etc :)
5) UK Based

I have looked at the Ainol tablets and they look stunning, seem to get recent reviews, but after stopping the search for built in GPS (will only ever use that in a car) i was amazed to find that so few 8" tablets support decent res i.e. 1024x600 and have bluetooth. I could look down the bluetooth dongle route, but want the sat nav aspect to be reliable as i will use it for work.

Great site, thanks for looking/helping

similar to what i'm after, as you say, its hard to find one with a decent res (i found looking for 'IPS' ones helped) and GPS.

ladykp

Jul 31, 2012
Hi,

I'm new here. anyway I'm looking for a tablet, preferably 7-9 inch, with 3G, more than 8gb memory and would best if it's among that get the jellybean update. thanks heap! ;)

btw, i'm in sydney, australia and budget around aud600 below ;)

thanksss again :D

Last edited:

Janae2012

Jul 31, 2012
I'm looking for something that I can complete my online classes on. Which means I would need Microsoft and the internet. I would like Photoshop and apps for games. I would like to be able to watch movies on it also. I don't want to have to pay monthly for anything, I'm looking for a price range under $1,000.00. I would like something about 10'' but it may vary. I would also like a camera on it. I don't know what is out there, so if anyone knows a good choice for me I would be glad to hear it.

Last edited:

SynC_187

Jul 27, 2012
I'm looking for something that I can complete my online classes on. Which means I would need Microsoft and the internet. I would like Photoshop and apps for games. I would like to be able to watch movies on it also. I don't want to have to pay monthly for anything, I'm looking for a price range under $1,000.00. I would like something about 10'' but it may vary. I would also like a camera on it. I don't know what is out there, so if anyone knows a good choice for me I would be glad to hear it.

Sorry but if you want Microsoft, you are looking at a Windows tablet, not Android, and if you want Photoshop and any amount of typing, I would recommend a desktop/laptop, not a tablet.

754boy

Jul 31, 2012
Ok, I have $110 to blow. What is the best table I can get at that price? Not looking for a gaming powerhouse or anything. Just something I can surf the web with or watch netflix on. Maybe the occasional casual game. Camera is not really important since I have an android phone but it would be a nice bonus. Internal memory size doesn't matter much as long as there is a microSD slot. I've seen so many that I don't know which one to get.:confused:

Last edited:

reliabletop

May 31, 2012
hi, i am a newer of android phone.but i want have one.and someone suggest me buy the HTC one v as it touch my require price.
while,someone say it isn't the best choise.because it the electrnoic is no independent.so it will uncencenence sometimes;and then they also say the photo is weakness as it haven't front camera. so many romous.i really don't know how to choise. any one can give me any suggestion?i just want a phone with better Pixel and good aound quality.thanks!

mugglesquop

Jul 30, 2012
hi, i am a newer of android phone.but i want have one.and someone suggest me buy the HTC one v as it touch my require price.
while,someone say it isn't the best choise.because it the electrnoic is no independent.so it will uncencenence sometimes;and then they also say the photo is weakness as it haven't front camera. so many romous.i really don't know how to choise. any one can give me any suggestion?i just want a phone with better Pixel and good aound quality.thanks!

Google Nexus 7, Chinese tablets dont have quality.